Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: tamron 17-35mm vs canon 18-55mm

  1. #1

    Default tamron 17-35mm vs canon 18-55mm

    Might be getting a 17-35mm tamron..

    Guess there are some guys here who upgraded from kit lens canon 18-55mm to this tamron lens.
    any diff in the pictures so far?
    I reckon there should be better capturing at night since its 2.8 at widest...

    Advices? worth the $$?

  2. #2

    Default Re: tamron 17-35mm vs canon 18-55mm

    and also 17-40L

    techincally...the tamron should perform under low light right?
    which is a better lens for indoor and wedding dinner shoot?

    just some advices...thanks guys

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    902

    Default Re: tamron 17-35mm vs canon 18-55mm

    Go for 17-40L and you cant go wrong.
    I used tamron 17-35mm before. I found that the centre sharpness is excellent but the corners were worst. So interm of centre sharpness tamron one is comparable to 17-40L. For corners, canon beats tamron.
    Canon EOS 70D + 40D

  4. #4
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: tamron 17-35mm vs canon 18-55mm

    Quote Originally Posted by cannonball
    Might be getting a 17-35mm tamron..

    Guess there are some guys here who upgraded from kit lens canon 18-55mm to this tamron lens.
    any diff in the pictures so far?
    I reckon there should be better capturing at night since its 2.8 at widest...

    Advices? worth the $$?
    e 17-40 F4 will give you a better quality.
    put aside other lens if you can afford the L lens, and canon has a option of F4 L lens to make it affordable.

  5. #5

    Default Re: tamron 17-35mm vs canon 18-55mm

    Of course 17-40L.. Better still, get the 16-35L

    Quote Originally Posted by cannonball
    and also 17-40L

    techincally...the tamron should perform under low light right?
    which is a better lens for indoor and wedding dinner shoot?

    just some advices...thanks guys

  6. #6

    Default Re: tamron 17-35mm vs canon 18-55mm

    its a good lens. dont think you can go wrong with it. and 2.8 constant aperture is always a nice thing to have.

    dont be dissuaded by the "L" brigade....

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    902

    Default Re: tamron 17-35mm vs canon 18-55mm

    for ur info, tamron 17-35mm does not have 2.8 constant aperture but 2.8-4.
    Here's wat i like about this lens:
    • aperture f2.8 at 17mm
    • centre sharpness
    • average color saturation and contrast
    • cheap
    Here's wat I dont care:
    • Soft corners
    • Slightly slow focus
    • Noisy when focusing
    • Low light focus hunting
    • A bit short range coz up to 35mm
    • No weather seal
    • QA control ( some may encounter front-focused)
    Canon EOS 70D + 40D

  8. #8

    Default Re: tamron 17-35mm vs canon 18-55mm

    thanks guys for all the advices and poisoning..

    probably got enough $$ for a tamron now..
    so still considering if i should save more for a L...

    would love a L....cos its a keeper, i am sure..

    thinking, thinking...

  9. #9

    Default Re: tamron 17-35mm vs canon 18-55mm

    i always find these threads quite amusing..

    on a car forum, if someone wants to buy a vios, no one ever comes back to say hey, get a lexus..

    but here, its quite common that people will pop up with recommendations for lenses more than double or well over double the price of the price range that the original poster is looking at..

    a vios is a good car, so is the lexus.

    same for the sigma and 17-40L. dont think you will regret your decision.

  10. #10

    Default Re: tamron 17-35mm vs canon 18-55mm

    I would save for the 17-40L rather than having to resell the Tamron at a loss later to get the 17-40L..

    Quote Originally Posted by cannonball
    thanks guys for all the advices and poisoning..

    probably got enough $$ for a tamron now..
    so still considering if i should save more for a L...

    would love a L....cos its a keeper, i am sure..

    thinking, thinking...
    Last edited by jeryltan; 13th June 2006 at 03:57 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: tamron 17-35mm vs canon 18-55mm

    Because the price difference between lens is not as great as a car? I think if Toyota Mark X is $500 cheaper than Lexus IS250.. Then either Mark X will have ZERO sales, or Lexus IS250 become top selling car in Singapore already, overtake the Altis even.. Everything is relative bro, think about it.. A $500 difference now, is still not much compared to a $30k difference 10yrs later.. Unless you strike Toto

    Anyway, with car prices so low now, I would recommend pple to get an Altis rather than a Vios..

    Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    i always find these threads quite amusing..

    on a car forum, if someone wants to buy a vios, no one ever comes back to say hey, get a lexus..

    but here, its quite common that people will pop up with recommendations for lenses more than double or well over double the price of the price range that the original poster is looking at..

    a vios is a good car, so is the lexus.

    same for the sigma and 17-40L. dont think you will regret your decision.
    Last edited by jeryltan; 13th June 2006 at 03:50 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: tamron 17-35mm vs canon 18-55mm

    yes of course thats obvious.. but at the end of the day, its still double the price (more so if you consider 16-35)
    so just as some people cant stretch to a lexus, so similarly, some people may not be able to stretch, nor might they be minded to stretch to a 17-40...

    anyway, choice appears to have been made.. and i dont mean to OT. i just find it amusing that this seems to happen with some regularity.

  13. #13

    Default Re: tamron 17-35mm vs canon 18-55mm

    Yes, it does It's called self-justification or self-medication against BBB virus..

    Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    yes of course thats obvious.. but at the end of the day, its still double the price (more so if you consider 16-35)
    so just as some people cant stretch to a lexus, so similarly, some people may not be able to stretch, nor might they be minded to stretch to a 17-40...

    anyway, choice appears to have been made.. and i dont mean to OT. i just find it amusing that this seems to happen with some regularity.
    Last edited by jeryltan; 13th June 2006 at 03:57 PM.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    902

    Default Re: tamron 17-35mm vs canon 18-55mm

    Quote Originally Posted by jeryltan
    I would save for the 17-40L rather than having to resell the Tamron at a loss later to get the 17-40L..
    I agree with jerry...go straight to 17-40L. No point buying tamron now and then upgrade 17-40L because I learnt the lesson. Sure rugi a lot.
    Canon EOS 70D + 40D

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •