Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Filter

  1. #1

    Default Filter

    Hi I am new owner of FZ 30.

    Recently bought a UV coated filter @ S$25 and a linear polariser @ S$25.
    Do you think I being cheated by the salesman?
    It's true that FZ 30 does really require a circular polariser as it does not uses fixed mirror
    like SLR.
    I had problem focusing using FZ 30 especially on kids. Any tips?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    694

    Default Re: Filter

    Cannot use linear polariser, yes. Reason is wrong however.

    Auto Focus makes use of lines to focus, so a linear polariser would throw your focusing into chaos, in other words cannot focus.

    So whether or not you use an SLR or not, as long as you use AF, you must use a CPL. Whoever told you about the fixed mirror thing was obviously trying to pull a fast one. I hope it wasn't the salesman...

  3. #3
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Blue Planet
    Posts
    132

    Default Re: Filter

    Ur filters how many mm and which brand? I just bought a Hoya Circular Polarizer 72mm at $70..

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyftk
    Cannot use linear polariser, yes. Reason is wrong however.

    Auto Focus makes use of lines to focus, so a linear polariser would throw your focusing into chaos, in other words cannot focus.

    So whether or not you use an SLR or not, as long as you use AF, you must use a CPL. Whoever told you about the fixed mirror thing was obviously trying to pull a fast one. I hope it wasn't the salesman...
    lolz u also trying to pull a fast one?

    cannot use linear polariser yes. cannot focus correctly yes. but reason is because of the beam splitter AF uses.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....7&postcount=24
    mods should make it a sticky, too many pple ask about polarisers.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastern Singapore
    Posts
    694

    Default Re: Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    lolz u also trying to pull a fast one?

    cannot use linear polariser yes. cannot focus correctly yes. but reason is because of the beam splitter AF uses.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....7&postcount=24
    mods should make it a sticky, too many pple ask about polarisers.
    Dude... That ain't a fast one... That's the layman version of your explaination, as far as I can remember.

    Bottom line is the fact that LPL cannot be used...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyftk
    Dude... That ain't a fast one... That's the layman version of your explaination, as far as I can remember.

    Bottom line is the fact that LPL cannot be used...
    im not arguing the bottom line.

    and AF does not use lines to focus, it uses contrast.

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    lolz u also trying to pull a fast one?

    cannot use linear polariser yes. cannot focus correctly yes. but reason is because of the beam splitter AF uses.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost....7&postcount=24
    mods should make it a sticky, too many pple ask about polarisers.
    Agreed whit you, should have a sticky thread for polarising filters.

    How about you start a thread for this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,322

    Default Re: Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo
    im not arguing the bottom line.

    and AF does not use lines to focus, it uses contrast.
    Passive AF systems uses contrast to determine AF. It does so by determining the difference in contrast between line edges. This has no effect on the use of polarizers, but it has been a major cause of misunderstanding that AF need to focus using 'lines'.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Filter

    Not sure if you read this review below...
    Lumix FZ30 does not need a CPL cos the AF does not use any kinds of mirror like SLR.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...&opinion=29099

    Can anyone tell me if I had bought these filters at an expensive price? Just hoping to make myself feel better... it seem that one have to be knowledgable before you trust.

    I'm not sure of the brand of the filter, it just stated a big PL on the box.
    55mm UV coated @ S$25
    55mm PL @ S$25

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Simei, Singapopre
    Posts
    583

    Default Re: Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by shenny
    Hi I am new owner of FZ 30.
    Recently bought a UV coated filter @ S$25 and a linear polariser @ S$25.
    These "smart" salesmans are always trying to sell linear polarizer instead of circular one to novice users. I got linear one with my first DSLR too and a salesman was swearing that the linear PL is exactly what I need.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by shenny
    Not sure if you read this review below...
    Lumix FZ30 does not need a CPL cos the AF does not use any kinds of mirror like SLR.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...&opinion=29099

    Can anyone tell me if I had bought these filters at an expensive price? Just hoping to make myself feel better... it seem that one have to be knowledgable before you trust.

    I'm not sure of the brand of the filter, it just stated a big PL on the box.
    55mm UV coated @ S$25
    55mm PL @ S$25
    $25 is too much for a UV coated... i got mine at $13 or so. you can get a Hoya HMC at about $19 which is much much better
    for PL im not sure. but my hoya CPL cost $38 iirc. all price are for 55mm

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,322

    Default Re: Filter

    Hmm, the review is a bit strange. Nobody 'NEEDS' a polariser to focus anyway, no matter what camera you are using. A polariser is used for other reasons.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic
    Hmm, the review is a bit strange. Nobody 'NEEDS' a polariser to focus anyway, no matter what camera you are using. A polariser is used for other reasons.
    yes no 1 need polariser to focus. but when one use it for other reason, they will lose the focus... so it is inter-related.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    2,522

    Default Re: Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by shenny
    Not sure if you read this review below...
    Lumix FZ30 does not need a CPL cos the AF does not use any kinds of mirror like SLR.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read...&opinion=29099

    Can anyone tell me if I had bought these filters at an expensive price? Just hoping to make myself feel better... it seem that one have to be knowledgable before you trust.

    I'm not sure of the brand of the filter, it just stated a big PL on the box.
    55mm UV coated @ S$25
    55mm PL @ S$25
    i don't know what's the FZ30's construction but got this off google.
    http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...59&forum_id=84

    if you're happy with your results then it's fine. but you may want to go try out a CPL just to see the difference.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    283

    Default Re: Filter

    alternative: focus first then add on filter? will that help?

  16. #16

    Default Re: Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Horsba85
    alternative: focus first then add on filter? will that help?
    haha...exposure will b wrong...unless u +ev1.5-2 b4 u put the filter...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

  17. #17

    Smile Re: Filter

    Hi,

    Thanks for all the sharing and advice...
    I think I shall stop thinking whether the salesman hasn't been honest to me..
    and start my hands on soon and move on when I better trained...

    Once again, thanks.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •