Thread: Some night shots

Default Some night shots

Kazu
    Guests

the last one has a better composition.

First one the merlion is overexposed. Try using a ND filter to cut the lights out

Originally posted by nEkOgOtCh
    First one the merlion is overexposed. Try using a ND filter to cut the lights out
    Actually the merlion is very tricky to shoot becoz a correct exposure for the merlion will lose all details in other parts of the picture, and a correctly exposed picture for other parts will burn out the merlion. (At least this is my personal experience for my few merlion shots.)

I think the only way is to cheat digitally by composing 2 shots with different exposures.

Personally, I like the last pic best as well. IMHO, a fill flash to bring up the motorcycle details would make the picture more interesting.

Will spot metering helps in the merlion shot?

Originally posted by revenant
    Will spot metering helps in the merlion shot?
    Not likely, if you meter the merlion, the background goes dark, whereas if you meter the background, that's what happen to the merlion in this picture.

Originally posted by nEkOgOtCh
    Sorrie, no chance to try ND yet.
    ND reduce amt of light equally for everything? If so how does it helps to keep the merlion from being overexposed and yet still keep the exposure of the background?
    I'm sure I'm asking a stupid ques here Can explain to me how it works?

Originally posted by darkness
    Personally, I like the last pic best as well. IMHO, a fill flash to bring up the motorcycle details would make the picture more interesting.
    Me too lazy tat day... just snap and go, shld hav taken the adapter off and snap with flash too. Will my internal flash be strong enuff? Or its better to acquire a more powerful slave flash?

Originally posted by Venturis

ND reduce amt of light equally for everything?
    yes

Originally posted by Venturis

If so how does it helps to keep the merlion from being overexposed and yet still keep the exposure of the background?
    no, it doesn't help.

I took the below shots using a ND filter attached to a A40 I think just nice

http://www.pbase.com/image/8915129

Originally posted by Newbie123
    I took the below shots using a ND filter attached to a A40 I think just nice

http://www.pbase.com/image/8915129
    Hrm, since your background is dark, you don't even need a ND for this case, just meter at the merlion and you'll get the same shot, perhaps slightly better.

No offence, but I think you might need a longer exposure to bring out the background.

use graduated filter lor hehe.. or go in the evenings

like the third one, the bike vs the one that sped past, but the road too bright... maybe this one can lower exposure...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"