Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assumed family photographer - now the problems

Default Re: Assumed family photographer - now the problems

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    take crap photos and sulk
    everytime you press the shutter, look at the LCD and sigh out loud

saying that you know you can do better, only if you had an external flash
    sulk for a week or two and contantly read the user manual or other documentation.

eventually she will give in....
    Wah psycological wafare... my mom made alot of noise after i bought my external flash. But after i showed her the photos of the neightbours baby she did'nt bug me anymore.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by Cap_Dingo
    The main problem I face is indoor family shots. Generally, lighting is too dim. I use the default flash, and not an add-on. Using the flash causes the subject to be fully flashed out but the background totally darkened. Terrible!

Increasing the ISO to 400 and not using the flash doesn't seem to help either, coz the noise seems to be too much for my liking.

The best alternative I've found so far is to change the settings to "night shot" and then it seems to disperse the light. But how can I do this manually without choosing "night shot"?

Is there a solution for this?
    You may experiment with combination of ISO setting higher than 100 and flash set to slow sync. Higher ISO level makes faster shutter speed. Slow sync flash allows background to appear on the image.

I hate flash, but after been bestowed that same title i decided to get the flash. First a cheapo 420 speedlite, then upgraded to the 580ex. (this one will set you back $750 & excluding all the developed photos costs) Then the quality improved. Then more problems .... whenever you are invited you will be reminded to bring yr cam .... "Don't forget, uncle" etc ...
    You also are not supposed to leave early coz the birthday cake not cut yet ... etc "remember to develop for me hor", "PS off my wrinkles, ok?" ....
    Everytime when you are about to shoot a relative, then she will start saying like, ai ya, so old oredi still want to take, then she start calling the other ppl to join her, or she will look at the LCD then say, ai ya, my left eye didn't open big enough, yaya....yaya...
    Moral of the story: bring a P&S cam for family gathering
    always the Light, .... always.

Haha, it's interesting to hear some of the responses here regarding being the "official photog" for friends/family events. I do get this kind of requests from my circle of friends and this being a mutual, non-monetary agreement, the only standard of work expected is based on trust and compromise on both parties.

So I don't see any point of accomdating to your relative's/friend's expectations if it exceeds what your skills and equippment can do. Hobby photography is meant to be enjoyed, not fretted upon.

Anyway, for your technical problem, up the ISO, get a faster lens, or get an external flash and tripod. And learn how to communicate what the sitter is expected to do to get good pictures. In group pics outdoors, I always set my flash to 2nd sync, and tell them don't move until the 2nd flash since the exposure can take up to 0.5-1 second.

start charging for shoots...

Quote Originally Posted by Cap_Dingo
    I was going to ask my wife to come over and see your response.... a real pearler.... (and I didn't have to pay you anything for it)..... until I read that last line... and then I thought - hmmmm maybe not a good idea...
    think you misread what i said... go back and read.

Quote Originally Posted by dragos
    start charging for shoots...
    just charge for printing them the photos...
    show them what quality that you can give them...
    print out big pics to impress them.

How could I have misread that???? It must have been so late at night that I started dreaming before my head actually hit the bed...

Thanks for your comments.... I'll be sure to use the professional's advice in submitting my business case.

Can't find a beer mug, so just gotta settle for the thumbs! Thanks a zill.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    think you misread what i said... go back and read.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12