Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: My new E330 preflash problem

  1. #1

    Default My new E330 preflash problem

    Just bought my new E330 and I thought I could have some nice dinner shots in a friend's wedding. Unfortunately. the pop up flash gave so much preflashes before it actually flash and this really bother many of the guests especially children. This is the first time I use a SLR for such photoshoot.

    Is preflash normal for Olympus E330 SLR when you initially focus by pressing gently on the snap button? How to avoid preflash other than cloising the pop up flash. I am quite new to this camera.

    I don't have this problem with my Nikon 5400 compact camera. Can anybody advise?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Beach Road
    Posts
    3,733

    Default Re: My new E330 preflash problem

    The preflash act as a focusing aid for the camera in low light. You can disable it in the camera menu, epescially when photographing people.

  3. #3

    Default Re: My new E330 preflash problem

    You must have been taking photos during a dinner by candlelight. Under normal room lighting, my E-330 does not seem to require focus assist at all.

  4. #4

    Default Re: My new E330 preflash problem

    This is normal when the focusing system is not able to focus. Turning it off may result in out of focus pictures. Alternative is to get an external flash (FL-36 or 50) that has an AF illuminator which is not irritating.

  5. #5

    Default Re: My new E330 preflash problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Humvee333
    Just bought my new E330 and I thought I could have some nice dinner shots in a friend's wedding. Unfortunately. the pop up flash gave so much preflashes before it actually flash and this really bother many of the guests especially children. This is the first time I use a SLR for such photoshoot.

    Is preflash normal for Olympus E330 SLR when you initially focus by pressing gently on the snap button? How to avoid preflash other than cloising the pop up flash. I am quite new to this camera.

    I don't have this problem with my Nikon 5400 compact camera. Can anybody advise?
    I have E-500 and realized how irritating the AF assist actually is the first day I started up. So I immediatly disabled it, and I must say, for most occasions it is not needed. The camera may take a bit longer to focus, but that is better than annoying people and scaring animals. AF still works down to an amazingly low light level.

  6. #6

    Default Re: My new E330 preflash problem

    Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer
    I have E-500 and realized how irritating the AF assist actually is the first day I started up. So I immediatly disabled it, and I must say, for most occasions it is not needed. The camera may take a bit longer to focus, but that is better than annoying people and scaring animals. AF still works down to an amazingly low light level.
    Tried AF with flash off but the pictures are not sharp. In fact the preflash still fires off at Scene Mode in low light and I thought scene mode is for quickie shooting ie point and shoot. Check with Olympus adviser (very good service!) at their service center near Funan and they manage to advise that preflash can be disabled only at AF mode at C-AF. They could not find a solution for other settings and if fact we spend considerable amount of time trying to solve this. They still have not revert to me for a solution.
    Last edited by Humvee333; 14th June 2006 at 07:03 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default Re: My new E330 preflash problem

    You should be able to turn off the AF assist from setup menu 1 on the camera:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse330/page10.asp

  8. #8

    Default Re: My new E330 preflash problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Humvee333
    Tried AF with flash off but the pictures are not sharp. In fact the preflash still fires off at Scene Mode in low light and I thought scene mode is for quickie shooting ie point and shoot. Check with Olympus adviser (very good service!) at their service center near Funan and they manage to advise that preflash can be disabled only at AF mode at C-AF. They could not find a solution for other settings and if fact we spend considerable amount of time trying to solve this. They still have not revert to me for a solution.
    Strange advise you received, or the E-330 is different to E-500 in that aspect. I can turn off AF assist in any modes menu and if I do that it is OFF in that mode. That means if I have my camera set to Auto, the setting changes affect only Auto mode. Setting to different Modes means the flash gets different function, unless it is changed for that mode also. So I guess you have to set first Scene Mode, then press the menu button and turn off AF assist.

    You may have misunderstood me in regard to my flash use. I don't mean you should be able to use your camera without flash. That depends on the ambient light and the type of subject, especially movements of the subject. If you don't have enough light and subjects are moving, like normally under dinner conversations, you will get blurred images, unless you use very high ISO. What I don't use, except on occasions, is the AF assist function of the flash and the auto pop-up. I still have flash on if needed, just want to know and control when it is going to fire. The AF works down to quite bad lighting conditions, so I find AF assist not needed most of the time, and when it is mostly needed it is irritating and distracting the people around the camera, including myself. It is difficult to catch people in a relaxed environment with all that strobe light flashing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •