Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Problem with istDL focussing

  1. #1

    Default Problem with istDL focussing

    ok...after a series of test shots on my newly bought ist DL , I finally put the camera to a test for a family outing today.
    went to the Dinosaur show at the Science Centre where the environment is low lighting in some places, and glare from spot lights.

    I tried my hand at manual mode today. did not use any settings except auto pic setting mode. I noticed the flash tended to yield over exposed images many times. I wonder why the flash strength is not controlled according to ambient lighting.
    Also, tried out manual focussing, found it was quite easy to use. Objects were focussed clearly and shot taken. Imaging to my horror when I reached home that 75% of all the shots I took were out of focus! even the ones that appear razor sharp on the lcd display.
    I could have sworn the images were very clear in the view finder when I pressed the shutter. Anyone can offer any advice on this?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    Quote Originally Posted by airconvent
    ok...after a series of test shots on my newly bought ist DL , I finally put the camera to a test for a family outing today.
    went to the Dinosaur show at the Science Centre where the environment is low lighting in some places, and glare from spot lights.

    I tried my hand at manual mode today. did not use any settings except auto pic setting mode. I noticed the flash tended to yield over exposed images many times. I wonder why the flash strength is not controlled according to ambient lighting.
    Also, tried out manual focussing, found it was quite easy to use. Objects were focussed clearly and shot taken. Imaging to my horror when I reached home that 75% of all the shots I took were out of focus! even the ones that appear razor sharp on the lcd display.
    I could have sworn the images were very clear in the view finder when I pressed the shutter. Anyone can offer any advice on this?

    Thanks in advance.
    im not a pentax user but i guess you have set ur flash to manual mode or pentax metering ain't accurate.

    are you sure your eye is SOOOOO SHARP that you can be 100% sure that what you saw in that tiny viewfinder are SHARP as well? if yes i guess ur eyes are even sharper than eagle

    and if im not wrong most of the pic were slightly oof which is too slight be to really seen on a camera lcd tats explain y most of the pic looks OOF at home

  3. #3

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    For manual focussing, unless you use a split prism focussing screen, most of us will only be able to estimate with varying degrees of accuracy if focussing is spot on.

    As for flash, you can always test the flash compensation functionality, there is only so much you can do with direct flash from the built in flash.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    i try the manual focus for DL, 350D and the D70 before ,these cameras are very difficult to get correct focus due to the small viewfinder.You also need to take care the shutter speed also.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    Hi all
    Thanks for the replies.
    .Does this mean I stick to autofocus then for good results ?
    Any other tips on how to improve the technique?
    Thanks!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    Quote Originally Posted by airconvent
    Hi all
    Thanks for the replies.
    .Does this mean I stick to autofocus then for good results ?
    Any other tips on how to improve the technique?
    Thanks!
    yay! you finally got it!

    During manual focusing, you can use the "in-focus" indicator in the viewfinder to know if you're in focus.

    Lowlight autofocusing sometimes is quite a challenge with kit lens but is still quite OK. However with the FA50 1.4 its even worse. Mine keep hunting to and fro.

    Also I've read that if you use those CR3 (I think!) batteries, autofocus is supposed to be better. Never tried it before and don't think I will lah.

    I've ordered an LL60 split prism focussing screen from Shriro and still waiting for it to come in. Not sure of the price and ETA yet but I'd definitely need one.

    Oh and the DL screen is supposed to be "fixed" but many have changed their screen already.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    Quote Originally Posted by southernoise
    I've ordered an LL60 split prism focussing screen from Shriro and still waiting for it to come in. Not sure of the price and ETA yet but I'd definitely need one.
    Any idea how is the LL60 split prism focusing screen like compared to the others like Katz eye? I need one split prism screen too, but not sure where and which to get at the moment...

  8. #8

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    No idea how the LL60 is like until it arrives and fixed to my cam. Can't compare it to Katz eye too as I've never used it.

    I called Shriro directly as ask for the part, and they ordered one for me. No idea how much it'll cost too. The nice guy that I forgotten his name said like something from 30-60.

    Quote Originally Posted by seafone
    Any idea how is the LL60 split prism focusing screen like compared to the others like Katz eye? I need one split prism screen too, but not sure where and which to get at the moment...

  9. #9

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    I don't think the LL60 is a split prism focussing screen. If I remember correctly, it is just a simple matte fresnel screen with just some leveling reference lines.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    hi
    pardon me but what is this katz and LL60 that many here are talking about?
    what is its advantage?
    thanks!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cough Hill
    Posts
    365

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    i've just change my focusing screen last week they cost me $52.25 but i dunno its the katz or LL60 i don't understand dat too...hehe
    Nepotism will never end....:thumbsd:

  12. #12

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    Just as Parchiao said above, the LL-60 focusing screen isn't a split prism focusing screen, it's just a normal focusing screen (LF-60 in the D/Ds, don't know the one in DL, but most likely it's the same or similar) with four reference lines which divide the screen to 9 area for easy composition. A split prism focusing screen has a center split part (like a hole) to make the center more clear and easy for macro or manual focusing.

    Here is a pic shows three different Pentax focusing screens for D/Ds (probably work in DL too):




    And here is a pic of the KatzEye split prism focusing screen:



    More about KatzEye focusing screen here:

    http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--K...prod_istD.html

    I myself got an LL-60 focusing screen - Pentax call it a 'Divided Matte' focusing screen - and quite like it. It'll cost around S$65 if you order/buy from Shriro

    Cheers!
    Last edited by fengwei; 14th June 2006 at 12:37 PM.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    alamak... and all these while i thought it was a split screen!

    waste money again... I'd really want a split screen but can't afford the Katz.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    Eh, wat model are u using? I got a Katz waiting to be sold, just have not figured out the right price to sell it yet. You should know the price new with shipping. If you want to take the bait, PM me.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    Quote Originally Posted by southernoise
    alamak... and all these while i thought it was a split screen!

    waste money again... I'd really want a split screen but can't afford the Katz.
    The LL60 isn't bad. Actaully I prefer it over the Katz Eye. It's so much easier to compose a pic now with that one in my Ds And I don't need to do rotating/cropping in PS that often as before. The only advantage of Katz Eye is its MF capability but I use AF most time, and can't live with just only one center focusing point

  16. #16

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    fengwei, thanks for clearing up the picture. So LL-60 is more suitable for landscape shoot.

    southernoise, I ever saw some website where someone ever modified the older focusing screen(Pentax MX/LX's) to fit into *ist D/DS. So it seems possible to cut olden screen to smaller size. Maybe you can try to source for a similar screen. But I don't know if it will work for DL.

    I've a piece of SA-21 and SC-21 each for 2 of my MX. It is a pity to cut them for digital. I will be looking around... =)

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cough Hill
    Posts
    365

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    mine is is L90 which shriro change for me
    Nepotism will never end....:thumbsd:

  18. #18

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    Quote Originally Posted by seafone
    fengwei, thanks for clearing up the picture. So LL-60 is more suitable for landscape shoot.
    Well, it's good for portrait too. With the help of these split area, it's much easier to apply the 1/3 rule And also, easier to line up the background (w/ straight lines like these following ones):








    Of course this can be easily done by software (rotating/cropping), but better get it 'straight' in the first place

    Cheers!

  19. #19

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    Quote Originally Posted by Munk
    mine is is L90 which shriro change for me
    Well, in your case it's probably cheaper. For us D/Ds users, we need to change the screen by ourselves, and we most likely need to pay more ...

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cough Hill
    Posts
    365

    Default Re: Problem with istDL focussing

    The technician did mention to me dat alot of ppl order new focusing screen but im not sure which model. He said it only cost $70 to $90.
    Nepotism will never end....:thumbsd:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •