Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Hahahaha..
    referees R judged by the number of red cards they give...

THat's a good 1.

Its because normally a red card is not an easy decision thats why. 50K+ ppl looking at you at the stadium + the millions on TV.

But still, those are not direct reds. 2nd yellow, ref got no choice.

Most impt is to have a clean and good game. No or less mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Hahaha..
    what happened?
    I no cable, din watch...
    with some luck, u may be able to view on RTM2 - using your antenna, try finding the 'sweet spot'

shamsul is given the honour to ref his third WC match!
    eat. drink. shoot

Compared to other refs, how many matches did they officiate?

only one other ref, Roberto, has been selected to ref a third match
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger-in-the-woods
    I follow this discussion with much interest. I always believe a forum is where differing views are being presented and discussed. This is democracy in action, imo.

Whilst writing a reply in this discussion, I was scanning the various press's headlines for the Swe and T&T match. Almost all of them mentioned Shamsul's name and half of them mentioned he's from Spore. He's a 'real' Sporean; not unlike those who are born but migrated and lived almost all of their life outside Spore type.

Without getting too much into technicalities here (FIFA or SGP), I proud of what he had achieved - to be selected by FIFA to officiate a WC final match. This is the closest our country can ever be in the WC finals (unless we decide to host/co-host one day). As a Singaporean, I glad and proud to see a sporean doing well on the world stage (ok lah, he bo-bian kanna produced red card; but hey, that led to a damn exciting second half, better than England's listless second half performance).

I don't agree with one of the writers that we should reserve our celebrations or pride for big achievements ie our whole soccer team in the WC. My view is that we should celebrate and be proud whenever a Singaporean does well on the world stage especially if he/she is a true-bred Sporean. To be selected as a ref to officiate in a WC is big deal (Only 21 referees are chosen). Our country will inevitably be linked to the person as people will naturally want to know where this person is from. If we ourselves can't be proud, who will?

So I say, lets be happy, and less cynical, to celebrate each Singaporean's success/achievements. Do sincerely hope that he'll get selected once again for the latter stages.

Enjoy WC2006!!

Well said!

10 yellow cards for T & T vs Poland match.

Go Shamsul go...

Hope he get selected for more matches.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by Venom81
    10 yellow cards for T & T vs Poland match.

watta typical singapore 'on the ball' standard...........

ya .. no kelong one..

Quote Originally Posted by DT_
    watta typical singapore 'on the ball' standard...........
    So, what is 'not typical'?

Anything that goes to the fancy of everyone is not 'typical Singaporean on the ball standard'?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Reading this thread and did a search on google .. hahah i found Shamsul in Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamsul_Maidin

For a record 20 Yellow and 2 Red in 3 matches
    Last edited by taipankid; 21st June 2006 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    My other point is that Shamsul didn't do S'pore proud, technically speaking, although I know that a lot of people may link S'pore and Shamsul.

===

I think it's about time we accept and recognise success,

when someone climb a mountain, we said he is not singaporean,
    when a team of lions won a cup from tiger, we said it is not the premium competition
    when a team of imports won a gold medal in a game of feathers , we said we bought success

Shamsul was borned in Singapore, and developed his skill locally, given our standard of play in the domestic league, I think he did extremely well under very limited available resources

Shamsul was selected to go to the World cup because he is good, and the fact that he was selected to officiate 3 games, shows that he has reached international standard in refereeing.

Come on guys, one of ours make it to the world stage, lets give him some recognition.....

Ang Peng Siong (if any of you remembers or even know him), was once the fastest man over 50 m, did we celebrate? or give him credit?

I have always felt we are a bunch of people with very low esteem, and the fear to recognise such success is a show of that weakness again.

GO SHAMSUL GO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikonnew
    I think it's about time we accept and recognise success,

when someone climb a mountain, we said he is not singaporean,
    when a team of lions won a cup from tiger, we said it is not the premium competition
    when a team of imports won a gold medal in a game of feathers , we said we bought success

Shamsul was borned in Singapore, and developed his skill locally, given our standard of play in the domestic league, I think he did extremely well under very limited available resources

Shamsul was selected to go to the World cup because he is good, and the fact that he was selected to officiate 3 games, shows that he has reached international standard in refereeing.

Come on guys, one of ours make it to the world stage, lets give him some recognition.....

Ang Peng Siong (if any of you remembers or even know him), was once the fastest man over 50 m, did we celebrate? or give him credit?

I have always felt we are a bunch of people with very low esteem, and the fear to recognise such success is a show of that weakness again.

GO SHAMSUL GO!!!
    Sorry, should be "when a team of imports won a gold medal in a game of tennis played on tables , we said we bought success

Arrow Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

Shamsul is a Singaporean therefore he represents Singapore.

I've not yet heard a commentary about the referees who represents only FIFA. They will usually say that the referee is from Spain, Singapore etc.

Fyi, he is currently rated No. 1 ref (according to Soccernet) esp after Graham Poll's debacle in the Australia Croatia match.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/stats?l...+stats&cc=4716

Wha...finally can see a singaporean in WC (I mean in the field) even he is not kicking the ball. I am happy too, to see our fellow in there where have reached such high standard. Someone has mention it only 21 of them will be selected? I felt it a honorable stuff.

I didt really know much about what you guys are debating as my understanding level is very low and not to mention about knowing so much about US cause i not even understand well enough for our own country. It really sad to say.

This is just how i feel. Example, I went for a holiday ALONE, and i did something wrong in that country and media out there mention that i am a singaporean. The people wouldn't hate the whole singapore but it the impression that will not be good for singaporean in a way.

Just like Terrorism, are those terrorist representing anybody, country or anything? Many people due to these have happen somehow the discrimination on some are very unfair even it not done by them nor they are supporting the act.

what i am talking about??? hahahahaha
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

June 22, 2006
    Rank Top Rated Referees Rating

1 Shamsul Maidin 7.5
    2 Roberto Rosetti 7.0
    3 Armando Archundia 6.8
    4 Mark Alexander Shield 6.7
    5 Horacio Elizondo 6.7
    6 Toru Kamikawa 6.7
    7 Eric Poulat 6.7
    8 Coffi Codjia 6.6
    9 Carlos Eugenio Simon 6.5
    10 Luis Medina Cantalejo 6.5
    11 Graham Poll 6.1
    12 Massimo Busacca 6.1
    13 Frank De Bleeckere 5.9
    14 Lubos Michel 5.9
    15 Carlos Amarilla 5.8
    16 Valentin Ivanov 5.8
    17 Oscar Julian Ruiz 5.0
    18 Markus Merk 4.9
    19 Marco Rodríguez 4.8
    20 Jorge Larrionda 4.0
    21 Essam Abdel Fatah 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    So, what is 'not typical'?

Anything that goes to the fancy of everyone is not 'typical Singaporean on the ball standard'?
    dont know what you are talking about........

not typical is the opposite of typical,

what is anything that goes to the fancy of everyone?

what is the everyone that has in common the anything to fancy?

u understand basic singlish? well if you don't it's highly advisable to pick up 1 or 2 lines.. popular ya know here's prove...

http://www.google.com.sg/search?hs=Y...G=Search&meta=

well it's up to you....

hear he would be the Fourth Official for tonite match between Germany vs Sweden ??
    Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast