Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 95

Thread: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

  1. #21

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    When Nadel plays tennis, its an individual sport but still he is Spanish and is representing Spain. It is a fact and nothing can change that. Golf/tennis don't make a big deal out if it. Lets say if Tiger plays golf for himself at the Olympics, if he won, he plays his own music or the Amercian anthem?
    Lets just say that at US Masters, US Open, British Open, PGA Championship, etc. or Wimbledon or Australia Open or any commercial professional event, the winner gets his prize and kisses his trophy, but they do not play the winner's national anthem. Why do you think so? Is it not obvious?

    When you are playing in a professional event, you represent yourself. So if you win, there's no anthem.

    Olympics or World Cup or C'wealth games or other inter-country sporting event is obviously different. Countries send their players to compete, whether in singles or team events, and when they win, their countries' anthems get played. Why? Is it not obvious?

    When you are playing for your country, whether in a singles event or team event, obviously you are representing your country, because it's your country that sent you there.

    Hence by definition, Tiger cannot play for himself at the Olympics. If it's not clear enough, lets just say that unless the US Olympic Council selects Tiger Woods to play for them, he can't even play in the Olympics whatever his world ranking.

    Hope you can see that.

    By the way, there's another thread about linking Creative to Singapore that makes an interesting parallel read to this, the gist is that someone thought we should support Creative in its lawsuit against Apple simply because Creative is a Singapore company and has done us proud. However, in that thread the more rational wisdom prevailed, that Singapore != Creative != Singapore.

    Check it out here.

    On American patriotism, I think you need to understand Americans better. There are a lot of people with a lot of views. Bill Gates represents America? Do you know how many Americans would want to laugh at you? Do you know how many people hate him? For being too rich, too monopolistic, too powerful, etc. There's also a large no of people who hate Microsoft.

    Even public office holders like Donald Rumsfeld get a lot of hate from all quarters, even the President himself has a lot of Americans unhappy with him as you may know from the opinion polls.

    Don't ever imagine that Americans ever think that so-and-so represents their country, unless they have been specifically designated so (eg olympica athletes, astronauts, etc). And even then there's a lot of disagreement.

    Americans are patriotic but you need to understand what patriotism means for them. When I was in the US, I saw more American flags flying around than I've seen S'pore flags in Singapore. What they are patriotic about is their country, their constitution and their values.

    They are very proud of their armed forces. They are very proud of their flag. They are very proud of their history and traditions. They are very proud of their country's greatness. They are proud of their founding fathers. They are proud of the great Presidents-- Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, etc.

    They can however be very cynical about their government. They can be quite distrustful of politicians as a whole. They are quite dismayed with the political system as a whole too. They respect the office of the President, but they don't necessarily respect the current office holder. In fact, there can be quite a distrust of the government.

    It's quite something to understand American patriotism.
    Last edited by waileong; 11th June 2006 at 11:09 PM.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger-in-the-woods
    Whilst writing a reply in this discussion, I was scanning the various press's headlines for the Swe and T&T match. Almost all of them mentioned Shamsul's name and half of them mentioned he's from Spore. He's a 'real' Sporean; not unlike those who are born but migrated and lived almost all of their life outside Spore type.
    Yes, and I wonder if Mexico got hurt by the referee's actions in England v Paraguay. Despite the infamous English hooligans, I've not yet read reports of Mexicans being attacked or Mexican products being boycotted or Mexican websites being defaced, etc.

    Tell me, honestly, do you think lowly of Mexico as a country just because of some poor refereeing last night?

  3. #23
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    Ok you can go on with your views. I got no problem with that and I agree with some of them. No government/organisation can please everyone. patriotism does not mean supporting the government but the country.

    You've to remember the point: Tiger is famous, everyone knew he is from the US. No need to state or mention in the papers.

    The ref is unkown, thus the country is mentioned. That is the key difference. If you still cannot see it, I dunno what to say!

  4. #24

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    You've to remember the point: Tiger is famous, everyone knew he is from the US. No need to state or mention in the papers.

    The ref is unkown, thus the country is mentioned. That is the key difference. If you still cannot see it, I dunno what to say!
    Of course I know your point.

    But do you know mine? That Singapore so what? If he did a poor job, do you expect the losing supporters to attack Singaporeans? Or cancel their holidays to Singapore? Or boycott products from Singapore?

    On the other hand, if he did a good job, does it mean the fans will say, "Well done Singapore!", buy more S'pore products, come on more holidays to Singapore, etc?

    FYI, the country is mentioned in all commercial sports events, whether or not the player is famous. If you watch the sportscasts, you'll see that on screen every time. It's just part of the player's bio info, together with the age, past wins/losses in the event, etc. that helps people get a background on the player.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    there's just a lot of self-congratulatory words and attempts to foist certain angles and interpretations here, and frankly, who gives a damn?

    let's just enjoy the Finals.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  6. #26
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    Of course I know your point.

    But do you know mine? That Singapore so what? If he did a poor job, do you expect the losing supporters to attack Singaporeans? Or cancel their holidays to Singapore? Or boycott products from Singapore?

    On the other hand, if he did a good job, does it mean the fans will say, "Well done Singapore!", buy more S'pore products, come on more holidays to Singapore, etc?

    FYI, the country is mentioned in all commercial sports events, whether or not the player is famous. If you watch the sportscasts, you'll see that on screen every time. It's just part of the player's bio info, together with the age, past wins/losses in the event, etc. that helps people get a background on the player.
    Your point is not valid, pls pardon me. I have not heard of any boycotting products or country before. And your point is getting ridiculars. No one likes the ref. No well done for the ref to the fans. But the fact is the country is mentioned and he is representaing Asia and SG in the WC for FIFA. There is are reasons why FIFA dun get all their refs from a continent. They want representatives from ALL continents. Its obvious you did not read the news ariticle about Shamsul in the newpaper. No one talk about boycotting in the 1st place.

    http://www.fifa.com/en/regulations/r...1573,M,00.html

  7. #27

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    My point is not the boycotting. Merely that the country of the referee makes no difference to the fans. If it did, countries should be very worried, because the moment their referee does something wrong, the whole country's reputation will suffer.

    However, like any organisation that wants to be seen to be fair, clearly FIFA do not want referee from Country X to be in charge of a game involving Country X. That is common sense.

    My other point is that Shamsul didn't do S'pore proud, technically speaking, although I know that a lot of people may link S'pore and Shamsul.

    I have not read any article about Shamsul in the newspaper, but I can infer that the article praises him for doing a good job and making S'pore look good. The good job/bad job part is for everyone to judge, since it's televised live and can be scrutinised again and again through replays. The making S'pore look good part is an opinion of a journalist. He's entitled to his as I'm entitled to mine.

    PS. Come to think of it, everything you and I write can be scrutinised by everyone again and again, so all readers can judge for themselves the logic of what you and I are saying. There's nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.
    ===
    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Your point is not valid, pls pardon me. I have not heard of any boycotting products or country before. And your point is getting ridiculars. No one likes the ref. No well done for the ref to the fans. But the fact is the country is mentioned and he is representaing Asia and SG in the WC for FIFA. There is are reasons why FIFA dun get all their refs from a continent. They want representatives from ALL continents. Its obvious you did not read the news ariticle about Shamsul in the newpaper. No one talk about boycotting in the 1st place.

    http://www.fifa.com/en/regulations/r...1573,M,00.html
    Last edited by waileong; 12th June 2006 at 12:47 AM.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    Alrite, so basically those that feel that this Shamsul ref made SG and them look good, can feel proud can carry on. Those that feel otherwise can also just carry on with their lives. No need to go into a long debate because both sides seems to understand each other`s point but cant feel the same about the whole affair.

    Will this be the conclusion for both sides?

  9. #29
    Senior Member +evenstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore / United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,655

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    In ST today:

    SEEING RED: Singapore referee Shamsul Maidin sends off Trinidad's Avery John for a horrendous tackle on Christian Wilhelmsson. It was the first red card of the 2006 World Cup. -- PHOTO: AFP
    eat. drink. shoot

  10. #30

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    What a fine call that Singaporean referee made to a player deserving a red card.

  11. #31
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    Amen!

    FYI, ITALY and the ITALIAN FA pull out all its refs in the WC competition due to corruption practices. ITALY do not want to be embarressed further in the world stage. FIFA did not pull them out.

    If an Italian ref dun represent Italy, who they represent? FIFA and Brazil?

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,777

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Amen!

    FYI, ITALY and the ITALIAN FA pull out all its refs in the WC competition due to corruption practices. ITALY do not want to be embarressed further in the world stage. FIFA did not pull them out.

    If an Italian ref dun represent Italy, who they represent? FIFA and Brazil?
    lol...good point brother!

    nvm la, the referee only represent themselves, not country & not FIFA la..
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    Quote Originally Posted by TMC
    Alrite, so basically those that feel that this Shamsul ref made SG and them look good, can feel proud can carry on. Those that feel otherwise can also just carry on with their lives. No need to go into a long debate because both sides seems to understand each other`s point but cant feel the same about the whole affair.

    Will this be the conclusion for both sides?
    Well said.... thx

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New York*New Jersey*Boston
    Posts
    1,072

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2
    Just like how kayu is the referee in the england and paraguay match yesterday, what do people ask when they saw his unfairness? OF COURSE they ask "dam it, which country is this guy from?"
    I have to agree with this. He is repesenting us too
    Regards, Mark Pang
    www.markpangphotography.com

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    KFC
    Posts
    1,777

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    Quote Originally Posted by haagen_dazs
    I have to agree with this. He is repesenting us too
    steady already la...shamsul has been given a chance to officiate a second match today in the match of Mexico and Angola later on at 3am!

    wat a way to recognise the officiating abilities of our very own spore referee! and somemore he is the first referee in this world cup to referee 2 matches!

    congratz once again shamsul!!

    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...213964/1/.html
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    Another red card from the MAN.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    Quote Originally Posted by Venom81
    Another red card from the MAN.
    Hahaha..
    what happened?
    I no cable, din watch...

  18. #38

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Hahaha..
    what happened?
    I no cable, din watch...
    He sent someone off again. 2nd bookable offence. The Angola player handed the ball.

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    Shamsul is the 1st referee to show 2 red cards in this World Cup
    Maybe he might be selected to officiate the final. Now that would be a tremendous achievement by any referee.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  20. #40

    Default Re: Shamsul... U did Spore proud..

    Hahahaha..
    referees R judged by the number of red cards they give...

    THat's a good 1.

    .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •