Thread: The end to our battery troubles?

Default The end to our battery troubles?

Instant charging batteries with practically unlimited lifespan... http://www.sciencentral.com/articles...e_id=218392803

Default Re: The end to our battery troubles?

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    Instant charging batteries with practically unlimited lifespan... http://www.sciencentral.com/articles...e_id=218392803
    Good news. But, when it is available for us ?

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK
    Interesting reading. It is though not very new to use capacitors instead of batteries, my company did that already about 15-20 years ago, ever since we received a large party batteries from Sony and installed them in stuff which was then distributed all over the globe before we realized there was something wrong with the batteries. We had to send out people to change these batteries. Very expensive business, even if we got Sony to pay for it. So, the next harware upgrade included a capacitor which actually replaced the batteries. These units are still in use and nobody had to change capacitors. Now, if MIT actually manages to create capacitors that can be used in cameras and PDAs and toys then that would really be good news.

But, don't hold your breath... it may take forever and (n)ever...

If it's really available for us, sure very expensive.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

If I'm not wrong they are using carbon nano tubes. They have been researching this for years. I know some of the research labs in Singapore are growing carbon nano tubes.

Each nano tube is 30,000 times thinner than a human hair!

Which means, it's microscopic.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

1st thing come to my mind...
    Instant large scale fireworks.

I think at least a few hundred dollars per batt.

Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer
    But, don't hold your breath... it may take forever and (n)ever...
    Battery manufacturers will close down if they make rechargeable batteries that can last forever
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    1st thing come to my mind...
    Instant large scale fireworks.

Given the discharge capabilities of capacitors, that's not impossible. But these will be good for external flash units.

For those of you interested, someone in DPReview basically commented that the claims are inpractical. Those of you with EE background (not me) can understand the amount of DC power needed to charge the capacitor in "a few seconds". Basically, the power supply will be about 1.5x the size of a desktop PC power supply and the current draw from the mains and the connectors are going to be scary. Don't even think of bringing it near water! If you drop it into a swimming pool .

Read it here.
    Last edited by Watcher; 12th June 2006 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    For those of you interested, someone in DPReview basically commented that the claims are inpractical. Those of you with EE background (not me) can understand the amount of DC power needed to charge the capacitor in "a few seconds". Basically, the power supply will be about 1.5x the size of a desktop PC power supply and the current draw from the mains and the connectors are going to be scary. Don't even think of bringing it near water! If you drop it into a swimming pool .

Read it here.
    I am more interested on 'batteries with practically unlimited lifespan...'. As per fast charging 'in a seconds', I believe manufacturer can make above future battery charging like today one. Or, if we are greedy, faster two or three times with not so big charger.

But I think we must wait long long time. Manufacturer still want some profit from Li-ION .

Regards,
    Arto.