Thread: Will the male side of a 42mm filter ring fit into the M42 mount?

Default Will the male side of a 42mm filter ring fit into the M42 mount?

Hi all....

I am thinking of doing reverse macro with my Konica Minolta 5D and my 50mm prime (filter size 42mm)... and i already got the KM-to-M42 adapter...and a step-up ring from 49-55mm.

I was thinking of doing the following arrangement:
    1) Camera to M42 adapter
    2) M42 adapter to 42-55 step up ring
    3) 42-55 step up ring to 55mm male-male coupler
    4) 55mm coupler to 55-49mm stepup ring to 50mm prime

Sorry if i confuse u ... but thats roughly what i thought of doing... so my question is..
    Will the male side of the 42-55mm stepup ring fit into the M42 mount?
    Has anyone out there tried doing the same thing?

(i already have a dedicated macro lens.. just want to try out the above configuration. An alternative to the above configuration would be to use a reverse-macro adaptor.. but its quite hard to find for minolta mount)

Thanx in advance for any replies!

Regards,
    Rongren

Default Re: Will the male side of a 42mm filter ring fit into the M42 mount?

Quote Originally Posted by rOnGrEn
    Will the male side of the 42-55mm stepup ring fit into the M42 mount?
    I'm quite certain that the thread pitch is different - M42x1 for the camera and probably M42x0.75 or even less for the filter thread. So it won't fit.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    I'm quite certain that the thread pitch is different - M42x1 for the camera and probably M42x0.75 or even less for the filter thread. So it won't fit.
    Hi LittleWolf... thanx for the reply!
    went to look at the M42 thread and normal filter thread and realise they are quite different indeed. Guess my idea wont work....

Quote Originally Posted by rOnGrEn
    Hi LittleWolf... thanx for the reply!
    went to look at the M42 thread and normal filter thread and realise they are quite different indeed. Guess my idea wont work....
    You could take apart some old M42 mount lens/other device and use two component clue to marry it to your filter thread. Alternatively, you may know someone who has access to a lathe and can machine an adapter.