Thread: Paypal hacked

Default Paypal hacked

Anyone using Paypal here? Is there any way to contact them without logging in?

Im suspecting my account was hacked or something, though I was pretty sure I closed it some time back. I suddenly got an email saying I added a new email and stuff, and if i didnt authorize it pls click ......

I tried to email them but the damn system does not let me email unless I log in first, with my credit card details etc which I dont want to further circulate on the net. Is there any way at all to contact them without logging in?

Pls help, thanks!

Ron

Default Re: Paypal hacked

Must be a spam email. No cause for worry. A real email from Paypal addresses you by name tat you registered & not by 'sir' or 'madam'. The link to the website from the spam email does not starts with 'www.paypal.com'. Just ignore it. Nothing will happen. Dun go to tat website thru the link attached & input any details.
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

i suspect it is a scam email as well.
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

its a spam mail. do not click on the link.

yes! SCAM SCAM! don't click!

A way to check if the email is authentic is by checking the actual link URL, you can use "copy link location" and paste it into your browser to verify. DO NOT visit if it the URL is does not begin with https://paypal.com

It's a scam mail, your Paypal is not hacked yet, but if you really follow the scam mail and enter your details. Then your Paypal accounts will be hacked by the info you provided to the scammer
    It started even since year 2003.
    http://www.theregister.com/2003/03/0...aims_to_swipe/
    Last edited by zcf; 9th June 2006 at 12:15 PM.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

It is a scam email. They want to collect your Credit Card number and data.

Regards,
    Arto.

Oh okay... One thing weird though, the link in the email is www.paypal.com , or at least I think it is... Maybe I saw it wrongly just now.

I just entered in the official webpage, seems like I CAN get into the help page this time. Thanks all for ur help!

Such tricks are called phishing (fishing) whereby the scammers send out emails (purportedly to be from a credible organisation such as a bank, paypal, ebay etc.) to addresses which they can lay their hands on.

If the reciever clicks onto the links (which appear on the surface to point to the right website address of the credible organisation but actually lead to a scam website the scammers have set up) and log in with the proper ID and password, these data are collected by the scammers who would use them to log in at the real website of the organisation and conduct their scams or get money out of the account.

So just ignore and avoid clicking onto any link even if the email appears to be genuine. If you want to log in, go to the official website directly instead to avoid being led to any scam websites.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie_sjr
    Oh okay... One thing weird though, the link in the email is www.paypal.com , or at least I think it is... Maybe I saw it wrongly just now.

I just entered in the official webpage, seems like I CAN get into the help page this time. Thanks all for ur help!
    The link may appear correct on the surface but when you view the page as page source or have your cursor moved over it, you would see that it's actually leading to another website.

For e.g. (the following link appears to lead to paypal but if you click onto it, it will lead you back to clubsnap kopitiam) :

www.paypal.com
    Last edited by Clockunder; 9th June 2006 at 04:42 PM.

I had received numerous such mails.

Just ignore them.

In any case, never give out IDs/passwords/credit card numbers etc.

ya
    my wife also received similar email and when she emailed to paypal, they said they didn't send out any, luckily she didn't click on anything.

Never click on any links you receive in the mail. Paypal will never ask you to update your details via email.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie_sjr
    Anyone using Paypal here? Is there any way to contact them without logging in?

Im suspecting my account was hacked or something, though I was pretty sure I closed it some time back. I suddenly got an email saying I added a new email and stuff, and if i didnt authorize it pls click ......

I tried to email them but the damn system does not let me email unless I log in first, with my credit card details etc which I dont want to further circulate on the net. Is there any way at all to contact them without logging in?

Pls help, thanks!

Ron

Do not reply them back if you need the contact number pls let me know.

A lot of them. CitiBank spam, BankOfAmerica spam, OCBC spam, AOL spam, etc...

Just be careful. In doubt, you can email them to ask, but don't use any links (website or email link) from the email.

Regards,
    Arto.

Actually, many such phishing mails are purportedly from banks or financial institutions (such as paypal) and the scammers are targetting a lot at bank customers. Customers of HSBC, Standard Chartered, Citibank etc. have also been phished before.

In may instances, these scammers use website names similar to the genuine ones to make it looks real. For e.g. If the official real site is www.standardchartered.com.sg, they use a website such as standchart.com.sg.

So DON't lick onto any link in the email. If you click on, DON'T log in. If you want to go to the real website, type it in your browser and go directly there.

With so many phishing mails going around, it's very dangerous. This is also why I'm still avoiding online internet banking although I was a Computer Science Stream student in JC nearly 20 years ago.

Hope this help:

Protect Yourself from Fraudulent Emails

At PayPal, protecting your account's security is our top priority. Recently, PayPal members have reported suspicious-looking emails and fake websites. These emails are not from PayPal and responding to them may put your account at risk. Please protect your PayPal account by paying close attention to the emails you receive and the websites you visit.

Please use the following tips to stay safe with PayPal:

* Safe Log In: To log in to your PayPal account or access the PayPal website, open a new web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the following: https://www.
    * Greeting: Emails from PayPal will address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. Fraudulent emails often include the salutation "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member".
    * Email Attachments: PayPal emails will never ask you to download an attachment or a software program. Attachments contained in fraudulent emails often contain viruses that may harm your computer or compromise your PayPal account.
    * Request for Personal Information: If we require information from you, we will notify you in an email and request that you enter the information only after you have safely and securely logged in to your PayPal account.

Often, fraudulent emails will request details such as your full name, account password, credit card number, bank account, PIN number, Social Security Number, or mother's maiden name.

If you think that you have received a fraudulent email (or fake website), please forward the email (or URL address) to spoof@paypal.com and then delete the email from your mailbox. Never click any links or attachments in a suspicious email.
    Last edited by wildstallion; 9th June 2006 at 07:57 PM.