Thread: Need helps & advise - how to publish a book.

Default Need helps & advise - how to publish a book.

Anyone know how to go abt, get a book publish & sell?

Thank you.

Default Re: Need helps & advise - how to publish a book.

Your question can literally be answered by a whole book!

If you have the budget, you can do vanity or subsidy publishing. If you have good selleable material, you can try convincing a publisher to undertake the cost to publish.

Roger. How abt the copyright parts for the book? if i would print by myself, do i need to register anything?

Thanks.

you need to pay for a ISBN number and have a barcoding system to your book if it is a physical publish. This makes it viable for selling to major shops and libraries.

For e-publishing, you do not need it.

more information can be googled in regards to the actual publishing layout.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ahsiang
    Anyone know how to go abt, get a book publish & sell?

Thank you.
    How many copies you want to print?

If it's short run there are on-demand printers to do it for you.

I don't know about Singapore whether you need a licence to publish a book.

On the selling side are you going to sell it through the net or through the retail bookshops? If it's the later you may need a distributor. But nothing prevents you personally approach the bookshops to ask whether they like to put your books on the shevles.

Probably it's an idea to send the book to the newspapers and magazines for the editors to review and get some publicity too.

Good luck.

sion,

looking at 500 copies. not much. does it need to do color separation then printing? license wise i also not very sure.

anyone care to share & advise?

thanks

I believe you should always keep the copyright to any work you author. The law is such that you automatically hold the copyright when you create the work, unless your created work for hire.

For locally published books, by law you need to deposit two copies of your book with the National Library, unless the publication is of a private or confidential matter. I can double check with my librarian contact.

If you skip offset and go on-demand, I think you won't need to do color seperation. You need to have at least a rough idea of your book format in mind to go around getting quotes.

igpenguin,

thanks a lot. 95% of the book will be pictures. colour output got to be as close as possible. but if colour separation is done, the price of the book will be high.

book format is there. will be searching for printers.

sion,

looking at 500 copies. not much. does it need to do color separation then printing? license wise i also not very sure.

anyone care to share & advise?

thanks
    If the originals are in the form of slides, they need to be scanned. If they are in digital you could convert RGB to CMYK yourself as long they are 300pdi.

How about the layout, design and type matter of the book? What sort of page layout programme do you use?

For 500 copies you are better off to print the book using short-run on-demand printer. Do a google search on On-demand Printing or use Yellow Pages. There might be some in Singapore. Some of them have standard formats e.g. size, paper, bindery etc. for you to choose.

igpenguin,

thanks a lot. 95% of the book will be pictures. colour output got to be as close as possible. but if colour separation is done, the price of the book will be high.

book format is there. will be searching for printers.
    Your project sounds cool... I'd love to try doing something similar in the near future. It's almost ten years since I designed a yearbook while in school.

Are printers ok with supplying specific profiles, say of the ink and stock combination? How's your experience like in Oz?

I'm thinking of an offset book, where a photographer friend made photos for his church. He adjusted the photos on an uncalibrated monitor (first bad). There's a photo used on the cover and also in the inner pages. The colours of the photo on the cover looks off. The inner page one still looked ok. The source file is the same for the cover and inner page.

For the school publications I was involved in, all the pics were shot on neg film, and we passed the printer 4R photos and artist drawings to scan So they got it all colour-controlled at their end.

Sion,

Thanks a lot. All photos are digital taken. CMYK - color will be off if not send for color separation by the printer.

I'll be hunting ard for printers.

Igpenguin,

That's why I think i need to get it colour separated. if not RGB converting to CMYK will lose the feel of the photos.

Thanks.

starting to get too cheem for me :P

found this link:
    http://www.updig.org/guidelines/index.html

see parts on colour, don't know if it's helpful to you - i think you probably have done a lot of homework already!