Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Ok to use old+new batt for flash ?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Ok to use old+new batt for flash ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    You are welcome .

    But you know ha, can not just suka-suka put battery in parallel. Must have a regulator/controller circuit. A simple one is 2 diodes on positive of each battery.

    Regards,
    Arto.
    Sure I know. But still, it is no magic, quite simple actually, and definitivly nothing revolutionary. Handling parallell connections is a quite simple match technically. And maybe betazone's original question is just about a single flash unit, where usually 2 or more batteries are connected serially, which is the most common way. That was what I was assuming anyway. Just as a matter of private interest, I once opened one of my laptops battery pack, and there was a whole complex electronic circuit inside the battery pack. And yes, even in my laptops (ever since my first laptop from 1995) you can actually put in two packs. Which explains why I could even imagine Canon to have some magic battery there you can actually connect them serially and it may still be OK even with gross charge differences between packs. I think that is possible to handle also, if they for whatever reason would spend an effort on it. Just imagine, batteries that have no polarity markings. A revolution that enables 3-year olds to change batteries in toys.

    BTW, I think just diodes is not a very good solution (simple and working though), it would give too high voltage drop over the diodes, which I am sure you know. But again, it depends on the voltage of each battery pack how that drop effects the overall performance.


  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Ok to use old+new batt for flash ?

    The Canon grips obviously can use batts with diff charge levels as it consumes 1 batt first, then followed by the next.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Ok to use old+new batt for flash ?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer
    Why getting so uptight and angry? No, I did not read all the manuals on earth and never will. I ususally read manuals, but don't find them that exciting that I am interested in reading manuals of 'wrong brand'. Wrong because I do not have a Canon, not because something wrong with Canon. And why don't you say, hey LittleWood you are all wrong... I think he said first, I just agree with him, and still do. Canon must have a magic battery grip, because LittleWolf is 100% right, he says:
    I'm not uptight and angry.

    Littlewood is not wrong. He stated a general case of what happens. He never said there are no exceptions.

    You are not wrong for agreeing with him. You mistake is in saying that there are no exceptions to the rule. Pls. note the distinct difference.

    I said don't mix UNLESS instruction tell u so.

    By saying instructions will never tell you that, you are claiming that my statement is incorrect and I'm talking nonsense.

    Hence I must clarify that there are indeed instructions that do say this is possible.

    I am not disagreeing with the general trend. I just saying there are exceptions. You are saying that I'm bull shitting and there are NO exceptions. That's what "never" means. It is an absolute term.

    What you should have said was "Instructions GENERALLY don't tell u that". You would have been correct. This means there are few (if any) exceptions to the general case. But you are not discounting the possibility that such instructions exist, and hence not implying that I'm wrong.

    You said "Instructions never tell u that". Note the distinct difference. Absolute vs. possibility of execption.


    Pls. don't try to accuse others of "gettting angry etc."

    People have a right to defend their statements, esp if you try to imply that they are wrong.

    I'm sure if I accused you of talking nonsense, you too would be upset if what you said was indeed true. If you have accused others wrongly, don't turn the tables and tell him "Why u so angry" when others rebut you.

    Asking you to check your facts is not a "reprimand", though from experience, I realise telling certain people what to do is taken as in insult and scolding.
    Last edited by solarii; 10th June 2006 at 04:38 PM.

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Ok to use old+new batt for flash ?

    Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer
    Share the knowledge you have, not just jump and attack! You should have said that from the beginning, nobody would have questioned your facts.
    My statement applies to all current Canon battery grips on retail. Yes I have read all the instructions of the current grips still on the official canon sale register. They say more or less the same thing, with slight variations to some models.

    Jump & attack? Aren't you the one jumping and attacking first by saying "Instructions never tell u that?"

    Battery packs with regard to grips refer to Li-ion packs. AA refers to AA cells. FYI Canon grips only accept 2 TYPES of batteries.... Li-ion battery packs and AA cells.

    These are standard terminology. If you don't understand standard terminology, I don't blame you. Maybe different brands use different names. But don't accuse others of not saying properly. If you don't understand terminology, ask. Nobody will blame you. Nobody expects you to know everything. But accusing others of being unclear when it is you who are ignorant is unacceptable.

    Furthermore, you did not question my facts. You stated outright that I was wrong.

    Questioning facts would be " Are u sure? Perhaps u can give examples of devices which allow you to mix batteries." That is questioning.

    "Instructions never tell u that." Where's the question? You are not questioning. You are slamming.

    Pls. don't try to talk yr way out of this... people make mistakes... nothing wrong. Don't try to blame me for what you have done.

    I accept that I should have stated that Canon grips allow you to do this in my first post. My over sight. But that does not make my claim wrong. If you had indeed questioned my claim, I have no issues. It's your right to question if u feel I should elaborate. But it's not your right to say outright that people are wrong if you can't prove it.
    Last edited by solarii; 10th June 2006 at 04:46 PM.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Ok to use old+new batt for flash ?

    Hmmm looking back I realise my reply was more an English lesson on the use of terms and their implied meanings.

    Perhaps u might want to consider taking up English lessons? Yr standard is English is far from ideal (mine isn't from perfect, but I don't have problems being understood by people in general).

    You have serious problems in grammar, prose and expression. It's pretty hard to follow your chain of thought, though it seems you still understand what others say.

    It appears that you chose to rebut me when you thought I was wrong, when in fact I wasn't.

    However you did not like my reply and hence accused me of being the aggressor and not stating my facts clearly, of with holding info and not "sharing", or jumping at you when you "merely asked for clarification".

    Indeed my replies may be harsh... but I take effort to ensure that as far as facts are concerned, I am correct. You may not agree with my opinions - I am fine with that. Feel free to state otherwise. Opinions are subjective. Fact is not.

    Do not try to rebut my facts when I am not wrong. Some may take it lying down, others will give you terse replies. Don't believe? Go to another thread and try the same thing with other members. Tell them they're wrong when they're right. See if they're "uptight and angry" as you put it.
    Last edited by solarii; 10th June 2006 at 05:00 PM.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Ok to use old+new batt for flash ?

    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    Hmmm looking back I realise my reply was more an English lesson on the use of terms and their implied meanings.

    Perhaps u might want to consider taking up English lessons? Yr standard is English is far from ideal (mine isn't from perfect, but I don't have problems being understood by people in general).
    Just a few picks from the above:

    1. u is not an English word, it is spelled YOU when correctly spelled.
    2. Yr is not an English word. I think you mean 'Your'
    3. '...mine isn't from perfect,...' My guess is you probably mean '...mine isn't perfect,...' or '...mine is far from perfect,...'

    I don't think you should be the right one throwing stones... when it comes to my use of the English language anyway. Should I have you as a teacher or a language reference? You must be joking. I think you need to take English lessons yourself, mainly on how to express yourself without using so many words, but also on grammar and spelling. You definitely use a whole lot of words without saying much, which is good if you get paid by words, but I doubt that being the case here. And if you find my English so bad it is difficult to understand, well, why bother then to comment? I never had the impression that people in general have problems to understand me, as you say. Which people? You know these people you mention? Or are these just words of revenge and anger? Actually, I've managed to make quite well in life during the past 50 or so years, using several languages reasonably well on a day-to-day basis in my profession. Not that it concerns you or any other CSer. So I don't really care about your comments on my English.

    You seem to be far more superior to me when it comes to knowledge and intelligence, how come one single word "never" from such a low valued person (me) can make you so angry, so full of hate? Give it up man, get back to the subject.

    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    ...AA refers to AA cells. FYI Canon grips only accept 2 TYPES of batteries.... Li-ion battery packs and AA cells.
    Back to the subject, you are still wrong. Fact is Li-Ion is a type, AA is a size. Nicd, Alkaline, NiMH, Lithium Thionyle Chloride are some example of AA batteries. For all I know Canon can make Li-Ion AA size batteries also. You never mentioned that the packs are connected in parallel, which technically speaking, makes a huge difference when discussing these kinds of facts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •