Thread: Higher Aperture for Low Light?

Default Higher Aperture for Low Light?

Hi,

I am new to DSLR and sometimes try to shoot in low light at night. However my lens maximum aperture is F4 and I cannot get rid of camera shake even at high ISO. Will a higher aperture help in taking photos at night without tripod? I am looking at the 50mm F1.4 and wonder if that helps a lot. Thanks!

Default Re: Higher Aperture for Low Light?

Bigger aperture can help, but it really depends how low light you mean.
    At f1.4, indoor at ISO800 and above is ok. But if streetlights, out in the street, maybe still a problem at ISO1600. Moonlight, you will need a tripod.

f/4 to f/1.4 is 3 stops. Which probably will improve quite a lot in low light condition, but beware that, at f/1.4 (wide open) the image won't be sharp and the depth of view is very small, you probably need increase the aperture from f/1.4 to f/2.0 to get reasonable image.
    Last edited by zcf; 6th June 2006 at 04:49 PM.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

If you want to capture movement without much blur...set to the largest aperture size and shoot with the fastest shutter spd to get a decent exposure...if not... just set the aperture to f8, leave it on the tripod with a long exposure...you'll get decent shots at night with this.. just try an experiment...you're using a digital anyways..
    if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

f4 to f1.4 is actually 3 stops which mean ur shutter speed will be around 8x faster. if you shoot at 1/10 wif f4, you will be able to get 1/80 with f1.4 which is a big increase. but like what Patryk said you will still have to use tripod under moonlight

Deregistered

It will help only if your blur is not caused by motion blur (ie: subject movement) else give you f/1.2 also no use.

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    It will help only if your blur is not caused by motion blur (ie: subject movement) else give you f/1.2 also no use.
    Pro Advice!

anyway, I also tried many times using various setting at night. finally convinced myself that a tripod is the answer!
    D70s-er Since 2005

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments!

Seems like tripod beats f stops, but f stops do help. Trouble w tripod is I find it quite troublesome to carry along, esp for travelling. Guess I've got to decide when I shld bring my tripod along then

i bring tripod out if i intend to shoot night shots lor :P
    D70s-er Since 2005

You are shooting buildings or pp at night

Quote Originally Posted by bigu2fan
    Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments!

Seems like tripod beats f stops, but f stops do help. Trouble w tripod is I find it quite troublesome to carry along, esp for travelling. Guess I've got to decide when I shld bring my tripod along then
    You may regret if you never bring it alone when travelling while on holiday.
    Unable to take sunrise or sunset or at low light.

Tripod can u to defend yourself or use as weapon.

Yah hor, can use tripod as a weapon when travelling abroad...why didn't I think of that?

Just share a personal experience... I brought a mini tripod to the US and carried it as hand luggage. The customs guys NEVER saw a mini tripod before. They stopped me at the X-ray, searched my luggage, and 3 grown ups stared at the tripod blankly for 10min trying to figure out what it is

After that I have a phobia about carrying tripods on board planes

No need to be worry or bother about it if you do not done anythings wrong.

Australia are quite strict too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigu2fan
    Yah hor, can use tripod as a weapon when travelling abroad...why didn't I think of that?

Just share a personal experience... I brought a mini tripod to the US and carried it as hand luggage. The customs guys NEVER saw a mini tripod before. They stopped me at the X-ray, searched my luggage, and 3 grown ups stared at the tripod blankly for 10min trying to figure out what it is

After that I have a phobia about carrying tripods on board planes

hahaha... wah lao.. damn suay. Maybe they tho your mini tripod is for a GPMG.

I have yet to buy a tripod as i seldom take sunsets/sunrises and use a flash if needed. Most of the itme i try to find a stable surface as a substitute...
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Big aperture might not give you enuf DOF depending on the subject. F1.4 and the DOF will be very shallow. That is why there is this thing call tripod right?

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84
    I have yet to buy a tripod as i seldom take sunsets/sunrises and use a flash if needed. Most of the itme i try to find a stable surface as a substitute...
    The problem is the substitute surface may not have the good angle to shoot.