Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Wide Eyed Girl

  1. #21

    Default Re: Wide Eyed Girl

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet
    I dare say, the insincere compliments are doing more harm ...
    Exactly! I suppose you have read King Lear.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Wide Eyed Girl

    took me a while to decide what this shot is for me, as far as i'm concerned, i like it for the moment. there're flaws, but the merits are good enough to make me like the picture. the only things which i think are really eyesore are the oversaturated colours and contrast.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Wide Eyed Girl

    This is an interesting thread. Not because of the photo...

    The photo itself is OK. I like the composition, but I don't like the focus and the saturation.

    However, the comments are interesting.

    Personally, I think it's good to tell the truth, but there's no need to be hurtful. Whenever I put photos up for comment, I find that many contributors seek to belittle the photograph/photographer, just so that they can feel good about themselves. Usually, I will go to the commentor's portfolio to 'check them out'. Imagine my shock... Most of them are just good amateurs at best... but they give comments as if they are pros. Some of them even have wedding portfolios to show, but these portfolios look like snapshots... with excessive use of flash (They probably think that since they bought that expensive flash, must use more often. :P) I pity the wedding couples.

    I think we can all share our opinions, but with tact and courtesy. We are here to exchange views and ideas, and not to belittle each other... and of course the person asking for critiques have the right to reject suggestions too. It's not a one way thing. There should be an exchange. Some of the suggestions are bad, and the person giving those suggestions should be able to learn from their bad suggestions too.

    Be open... but be nice.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Wide Eyed Girl

    And as far as "messy hairs" are concern, take a look at these photos









    Look at these images and decide whether the obsession with messy hair is of any merit at all. Or is it just the personal obsession of a person who tried to ram his personal likes and dislikes to others.

    Frankly I would rather learn from the works from photographers like Peter Lindbergh (photographer who took these pictures) than one who talks a lot but has little photography credentials. And justify making his comments on "right to comment" and "freedom of speech".
    Last edited by student; 9th June 2006 at 10:27 AM.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Tampinesss
    Posts
    320

    Default Re: Wide Eyed Girl



    I like this photo the moment I saw it. Looks natural to me.

    And also look like album cover to me, or even an ad if some appropriate text are added.

    from me
    Last edited by heroneo99; 8th June 2006 at 07:53 PM.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bt. Timah
    Posts
    1,354

    Default Re: Wide Eyed Girl

    Quote Originally Posted by student

    Frankly I would rather learn from the works from photographers like Peter Lindbergh (photographer who took these pictures) than one who talks a lot but has little photography credentials. And justify making his comments on "right to comment" and "freedom of speech".
    True... but I'm sure people like Pete won't look at yr photos and give you their comments for free. Most do not even conduct courses to teach... those who do charge hundreds, if not thousands.

    On the same grain, its gd to learn from pros. But if you would rather learn from them and not hear the views of the layman, why post it on CS?

    I mean, seriously, who do you think 90% of CS members are? Professional shooters? Haha they're probably no better than you or I. That's what CS is comprised mainly of, in fact. People who talk a lot with no credentials!

    So if you post here, it's pretty obvious comments are gonna come from people who talk a lot about photography with no credentials. If you post here hoping to get a PRO like Pete critique yr photos, I feel you're in the wrong place.... don't see him being a member here.

    I'm not saying this to defend anything...if you've noticed I made no comments of the photo (ok so I'm guilty of OT, apologies to the thread starter)... just that I find the logic flawed.
    Last edited by solarii; 8th June 2006 at 08:11 PM.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Wide Eyed Girl

    well.. i believe that most of the pple here have some experience, even those who do wedding photos primarily.. so in my case, m oer often than not i will seek advice or comments from pple who have seen / been there done that. at least after a while once i kinda find my own style and gain generally avg to above avg comments, then i will have gained confidence myself and maybe even help others reach the level that i may have achieved

    till then i will just :X

  8. #28

    Default Re: Wide Eyed Girl

    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    I find the logic flawed
    Really? Did you read my comments carefully? Do you really understand what I wrote?

    Read on. You just might learn something.


    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    True... but I'm sure people like Pete won't look at yr photos and give you their comments for free. Most do not even conduct courses to teach... those who do charge hundreds, if not thousands.
    Of course people like Peter Lindbergh won't give comments on my images. Peter is not very good with words. He mixes his English and French and German to end up with something that only he could understand!

    But did I say to get comments from Peter?

    What did I say?


    ".....LEARN FROM THE WORKS....."

    Do you know why artists go to museums? To ask Goya or Picasso or Matisse or Cezanne for comments on how to paint?

    I am sure even you can understand that they go to see and learn from the works of the masters. By studying the works of the masters, you might understand the way they work. When you look at images from a photo book, how many seconds did you give an image before you skip to the next one? You think you can learn this way?


    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    On the same grain, its gd to learn from pros. But if you would rather learn from them and not hear the views of the layman, why post it on CS?
    I will deal with my own images later.

    But again you demonstrate a very serious inability to read properly.

    What did I write?

    ....."THAN ONE WHO TALKS A LOT BUT HAS LITTLE PHOTOGRAPHY CREDENTIALS....."


    CS is an open forum. Anybody can write comments. Anybody can make comments on any images, including mine. Anyone can give comments without any credentials.

    But I choose who to ignore, and I decide whose opinions I value. Without going into names, I hope you can understand that.

    Who say anything about not learning from lay people? I was refering to a very specific type.


    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    I mean, seriously, who do you think 90% of CS members are? Professional shooters? Haha they're probably no better than you or I. That's what CS is comprised mainly of, in fact. People who talk a lot with no credentials!
    Ah, although I am a student, I do understand that there are CS members like you, who write without knowing what they are writing. And of course, comments on imagery from people like you are taken with a pinch of salt! Thankfully, you do not represent the majority of CS members.


    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    So if you post here, it's pretty obvious comments are gonna come from people who talk a lot about photography with no credentials0
    .

    Again this is another prime example of dyslexic reasoning. The issue is not whether people have credentials. Without naming anyone, it is those who talk like they are great masters but is in actual fact ........... You fill in the words.


    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    If you post here expecting to get a pro like Pete critique yr photos, I feel that you are in the wrong place...
    I may be a student, but I do understand that Peter Lindbergh is more than a pro. He is a master! There are many pros whose works I do no think much of. But Lindbergh is a master.

    I may be a student. But I am not so daft to expect Peter to give comments on my works. But as explained earlier, I can learn from Peter through his works.

    Why do I post my pictures here? To get comments on how to improve my pictures from people like you? Don't give yourself too much credit!

    I post to share. To show another genre of people photography. Do I really need critique from people like you? Without pretense, let me tell you in one simple word.

    NO!

    I am my greatest critic. You see images being shown here the same evening after the shoot? Not for me. For me, the images, having printed days after the shoot, are left in my folder (or having being scanned - left on the desktop screen). I look at them again and again and again before I decide if I should post them.

    But I do value people telling me how they respond to my images. So simple comments like, "I like it", "I think it is terrible", are totally fine with me.


    Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    just that I find the logic flawed.
    Logic flawed?

    Or your flawed ability to understand what you read?
    Last edited by student; 9th June 2006 at 10:34 AM.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Wide Eyed Girl

    Well if you like it then , then good for ya. The only comment (or critique) I have is now you have to figure out how to produce a better (according to your perception)photograph the next time. And the next one the better than the last..and it goes on and on.

    On the other hand, perhaps this would be helpful. All things great are mostly done not by whoop ass cauldron inspiring magic, but by doing the basics very very well. So I reckon just concentrate on that ethos instead of trying any wildly flung ideas at the moment.

    Alright, perhaps I should try to give direction (uh..right), that has nothing honestly to do with any 'flaws' in the image you posted: Try to do everything RIGHT the first time round at exposure, like film. I had to learn my the hardway so well (rubs chin).

    DI should be kept to a minimal, and personally I disagree manipulating the image like cloning and cut and paste. That's more on making a picture than taking a picture, and encourages a lazy mindset. But that's my 'artistic preference'.


    In short, good effort, but I know you could do much better. Keep at it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •