Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Neutral Density Filter

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Neutral Density Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247
    Hi there,

    It really depends on the light condition, if you want to shoot waterfall, maybe a circular polarizer should be enough unless the condition is really very bright. It will be good to have a ND filter to standby, not really a must.

    As for ND Filter, here is a list, hope that it helps.

    ND2 - Increase Exposure by 1 f-stop
    ND4 - Increase Exposure by 2 f-stops
    ND8 - Increase Exposure by 3 f-stops
    Err....,

    Or you can put:
    ND2 - Reduce light by 1 stop
    ND4 - Reduce light by 2 stops
    ND8 - Reduce light by 3 stops

    So, if Pol-Cir reduce light by about 2 stop (1.33 stop to 2 stop depending of manufacturer), it nearer to ND4. Yes, Pol-Cir filter will make the colour slightly blue, while ND filter will not alter the colour. Slightly blue can be treated by using Camera White balance, or later in PC.

    Your statement is correct Pol-Cir is not ND2

    Regards,
    Arto.

  2. #22
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Neutral Density Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Err....,

    Or you can put:
    ND2 - Reduce light by 1 stop
    ND4 - Reduce light by 2 stops
    ND8 - Reduce light by 3 stops

    So, if Pol-Cir reduce light by about 2 stop (1.33 stop to 2 stop depending of manufacturer), it nearer to ND4. Yes, Pol-Cir filter will make the colour slightly blue, while ND filter will not alter the colour. Slightly blue can be treated by using Camera White balance, or later in PC.

    Your statement is correct Pol-Cir is not ND2

    Regards,
    Arto.

    Pai Say, Pai Say. Think better to put it as reduce light instead of increase exposure, but both have the same meaning. Thanks.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  3. #23
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Neutral Density Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247

    Pai Say, Pai Say. Think better to put it as reduce light instead of increase exposure, but both have the same meaning. Thanks.
    I'd prefer to say "reduce exposure" instead of "reduce light".

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Heaven's Gate
    Posts
    664

    Default Re: Neutral Density Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Refer to what my ND PRO has typed earlier.


    He's my PRO
    With ref to watcher's signature, ND Pro has removed all my doubts! He really is ND Pro!

  5. #25
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Neutral Density Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247

    Pai Say, Pai Say. Think better to put it as reduce light instead of increase exposure, but both have the same meaning. Thanks.
    No, not the same, the term "increase exposure" use here will let people have a impression that using the ND filter can increase exposure.

    So say "reducing light enter the lens" is more proper term.

  6. #26
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Neutral Density Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldjace
    get a PL-CIR (circular polarizer) instead, it is a 2-stop ND filter and u can control contrast with the polarizer! highly recommended, any of the Hoya SMC CPL or ND filters!
    AFAIK, "Low Contrast", "Soft Contrast" and "Ultra Contrast" Filters from the Tiffen filters are design to control the contrast for color photography, it also using in video and cine industries.

  7. #27
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Neutral Density Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    No, not the same, the term "increase exposure" use here will let people have a impression that using the ND filter can increase exposure.

    So say "reducing light enter the lens" is more proper term.
    Hi catchlights,

    Thanks for pointing out.

    My term "increase exposure" is with respect to constant ISO and constant Aperture and Shutter Speed is as per starting reference.

    Let's say, for a certain setting @ ISO200, f11, 1/125, by placing a ND2 filter over, the light is reduced by 1 stop, so it should be @ ISO200, f11, 1/60. So with respect to the inital setting, the ND2 filter caused an "increase in exposure" by 1 f-stop.

    Hope that can help to clarify. Apologies if I managed to confuse others.

    Will correct my initial posting if needed.
    Last edited by Francis247; 11th June 2006 at 09:52 PM.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  8. #28
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Neutral Density Filter

    no worries, many of us will not have problem to understand that, just a little concern that it may confuse newbies.

  9. #29
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Neutral Density Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    no worries, many of us will not have problem to understand that, just a little concern that it may confuse newbies.
    Apologies then.

    I was looking at it from the perspective of shutter speed as per exposure time from the camera point-of-view instead of light reduction from filter point-of-view.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

  10. #30
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Neutral Density Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    no worries, many of us will not have problem to understand that, just a little concern that it may confuse newbies.
    I think catchlights did help Francis247 to clarify further which is a good thing, no worries on it.

    It might seem a bit hard to grasp for newbies though I must agree. All else equal, Francis247 was just trying to be helpful

  11. #31
    Moderator Francis247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hougang, Punggol
    Posts
    6,627

    Default Re: Neutral Density Filter

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    I think catchlights did help Francis247 to clarify further which is a good thing, no worries on it.

    It might seem a bit hard to grasp for newbies though I must agree. All else equal, Francis247 was just trying to be helpful
    Hi Bro,

    No issue. Corrected my original posting.

    Apologies for the confusion. We are all here to learn and share. Cheerz.
    莫问前程有愧,只求今生无悔. Time pasts, Places changed, Beauty faded, what is left are Photos of Memories…

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •