Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cat Lovers please help... What to do with a week old kitten?

Default Re: Cat Lovers please help... What to do with a week old kitten?

Last night, CWS called me, saying they have found me a foster parent for my kitten...

Called her, and found she will make a good foster mom... she is a teacher and now on holidays, so will have a lot of time to take care of the kitten..

But the problem is, i have grown attached to it liao....

after whole night of thinking, I have decided to let the kitten go... I think it is for the better... at least he will be fed regularly.... I can still go visit him

so, attaching latest pic

David, it's painful yea? But hey, it's cool that you're doing what's best for the kitten.

Aw it looks sooooo sweeet. Give it a kiss for me willya?

As fate has it.... I was abt to send the kitten there when i received a sms from the foster mom. She said she is rushing over to help a stray cat that jus got run over by a car!! Latest sms from her is that she might not have time to tend to the kitten as she wans to look after the injured cat now....

sigh....

maybe it is a sign from above...

Quote Originally Posted by davidsim
    Last night, CWS called me, saying they have found me a foster parent for my kitten...

Called her, and found she will make a good foster mom... she is a teacher and now on holidays, so will have a lot of time to take care of the kitten..

But the problem is, i have grown attached to it liao....

after whole night of thinking, I have decided to let the kitten go... I think it is for the better... at least he will be fed regularly.... I can still go visit him

so, attaching latest pic

oh.. sucha sweet baby!!!

david.. i think its fate.
    pls keep him!!
    he will bring u so much joy u will never know in living with another feline!
    tis only the beginning

Wow. That's so cute. Have fun with the kitty.
    The kitty is so lucky to have you.
    Great kindness begets kindness.

Well done, david!

I remembered picking up two week-old kittens too to foster, only 1 survived. Like kiat mentioned, I used kitten milk and fed through a tiny milk bottle.

The mummy normally uses her tongue to stimulate the kitten to poo, still remembered how I used my finger/thumb to finally get him to pass motion. Take note that kittens not brought up by their mother cat are normally more fiesty...

morning nap shot...

As fate has it.... I was abt to send the kitten there when i received a sms from the foster mom. She said she is rushing over to help a stray cat that jus got run over by a car!! Latest sms from her is that she might not have time to tend to the kitten as she wans to look after the injured cat now....

sigh....

maybe it is a sign from above...
    The kitten looks in better health now. And it is all due to your combined effort as a family.

Do what is best in the interest of the kitten. As it is not doing poorly and with the midday feed being extremely important (since there will be a gap of 10 hours between 8am and 6pm) especially in the first 3 weeks, see if either of you can rush back home during lunch to feed it and give it that precious human contact. I can tell you that 1 hour of feeding time is a good bonding time. The kitten will be glad to have physical contact after so many hours of loneliness and your smell will identify you as its father/mother and this bond is going to be very strong when the kitten grows up. This is all from my personal experience.

When it is in its 4th week or so, depending on the stage of its development, the midday feed will not be so crucial already but you need to be home early in the evening to feed it. And when it starts its weaning stage, you can be more relaxed.

This kitten will be bringing you and your wife lots of joy, companionship, happiness (and some headaches which are easily solved). With it growing bigger and stronger by the day, think slightly longer term about its future and what will be best for it.

Best of luck and keep us updated, whatever the outcome.

Looking forward to his eyes opening...

Good job Bro.

I am sure it will grow up to be a beautiful and healthy cat under your care.

They are easier to care for once they are adult. Nothing much except pee tray and feeding. thats all. Bathing only if you want to, otherwise, no stench at all. =)

Take more pics. juvenile stage is once in a lifetime!

Looking forward to his eyes opening...
    This is a the best story coming out of CS. How refreshing. Good luck to you and the kitten.

Hey, we need a name
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Noon just now found the kitten to be behaving strangely... normally around feeding time if i stroke it a little, it will immediately bounced up and cry for attention or milk..

But this time, it appears weak and not crying... constantly can hear fast beating sound...

And hind legs and stomach area, can see some blister like spots..

It is also salivating...

So quickly brought to vet again...

Vet checked and said he might be overfeed! Said stomach bloating, so might not be disgesting well... so he might be having a stomach upset and that is why he is not responding well and also salivating....
    As for the blisters, might be due to urine.. so gave me some lotion to clean and cream to apply...

Vet advised to feed lesser but more frequently, to prevent overfeeding and poor digestion. Headache now.. weekday how to feed shorter interval??

Home now and he is asleep now... but still salivating leh...

Tried to feed 1ml as advised by vet but he is not drinking... think will let he rest a little and feed later... sianzz...
    Last edited by davidsim; 7th June 2006 at 02:06 PM.

Noon just now found the kitten to be behaving strangely... normally around feeding time if i stroke it a little, it will immediately bounced up and cry for attention or milk..

But this time, it appears weak and not crying... constantly can hear fast beating sound...

It is also salivating...

Vet checked and said he might be overfeed! Said stomach bloating, so might not be disgesting well... so he might be having a stomach upset and that is why he is not responding well and also salivating....
    As for the blisters, might be due to urine.. so gave me some lotion to clean and cream to apply...

Vet advised to feed lesser but more frequently, to prevent overfeeding and poor digestion. Headache now.. weekday how to feed shorter interval??

Tried to feed 1ml as advised by vet but he is not drinking... think will let he rest a little and feed later... sianzz...
    Hey, don't despair. It's quite normal for hand raised kittens. Sometimes you think they are doing well and suddenly their health will just nosedive. You need to be constantly alert to their condition which you are and to bring to the vet if you can't cope, which you did. You are doing right. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Err on the side of underfeeding. Monitor the colour of its stools. It will tell you if you are over or underfeeding. You can reference the materials I had referenced you.

The vet is right to point out smaller but more frequent meals but practically it is difficult as we are working.

I think the kitten has rashes from the urine which it may have passed when you are not around. The mother cat constantly licks its kittens clean, so you will do the same by wiping it clean with a moist warm towel after every feed to remove splashed urine.

Depending on the health of the kitten, a bit of money may have to be spent on vet fees so you will need to budget for it. The vet fees for my kitten came up to over $600 in its first month as it was very sickly but it is money well spent.

heart warming story. Kudos to David and wife. Proud of you guys!

It is also salivating...

tried to pm you but your inbox is full.

Dont despair, keep it up.

And give him/her a name. A good one for life.

Regards,
    tltan

soooooooooooooo cute

Quote Originally Posted by kiat
    tried to pm you but your inbox is full.
    just cleared PM... please try again.

just cleared PM... please try again.
    Sent you a pm.

things dun looks promising... last feeding was 8am this morning and till now, he is still refusing to drink... keeps sleeping and looks weak...

i will try to administer some milk into him...

must pull this one... he is a fighter since day 1...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast