Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lens test - Sigma100-300F4

Default Re: Lens test - Sigma100-300F4

Quote Originally Posted by NMSS_2 View Post
    what is the current damage for this lens? nikon mount available?
    Well, mon amigo, go call up Alan Photo and Orient Photo and get the answer. Also, if you might wanna to make a small effort in letting everyone in CS know the price quoted by both of them. Also, do watch out for the 2 version - the older IF version and the new, improved and ameliorated AF version. And whether if it's local warrantied set or grey.

Most likely, Orient Photo sells the grey version at a substantially lower price.
    Last edited by smallaperture; 8th June 2008 at 09:32 PM.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

As the RSAF open house is nearing, I would like to show 2 pictures taken during the recent Airshow. First one is the original without PP, just downsize for the web. 2nd one, same pic, cropped and some post processing done. Shot with this lens + the 1.4xTC.

Notice that I didn't manage to keep the metal bird at the centre of the pic. Well, at 420mm and that bird flying at supersonic speed, I guess I did OK just able to keep the bird in frame.

Hope that we get clear blue skies when we shoot the flying display in the RSAF open house at the end of this month.
    Last edited by smallaperture; 18th August 2008 at 10:28 AM.

Here is a slightly better picture of the Black Knight taking a steep turn.

From the ground, we often get to shoot the belly of the bird, but, it is very, very rare to be able to get to shoot the top. I love this shot.

Apart from the standard levels adjustment and sharpening, I have done some photo filter, shadows and highlight and noise reduction.
    Last edited by smallaperture; 2nd September 2008 at 09:36 AM.

How did I get this shot? Here are the techniques and settings I used. It has worked very well for me and so I hope it works for you too.

Camera settings:
    Camera - Nikon D200
    ISO 200, set to autoISO
    Quality - jpg Medium Fine and optimum quality priority
    AutoWB

AF single and not continuous becos drain battery very fast
    AF focus priority as against release priority
    AF single point, centre which is the cross type and most sensitive and fast
    AF tracking off

Shutter priority mode - at 1/1000s, aperture F6.3

Camera holding, aiming and firing - in sitting position, lens on left palm, shooting hand-held without support as the action is too fast for monopod or tripod.
    Last edited by smallaperture; 2nd September 2008 at 02:22 PM.

Tks for sharing yr review on this lens. Totally convinced. Next in my purchase list.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Olykon View Post
    Tks for sharing yr review on this lens. Totally convinced. Next in my purchase list.
    Well, bro, you're most welcomed. I don't know how many would wanna to buy this lens after reading the 5pages of my user report here.

I have been trying to be objective, impartial and tell the facts about this lens. But of course, I cannot be entirely objective as I could be inadvertently subjective at times. I do this out of fun and as a hobby and like to share what I know to folks in this community.

Something I notice about this community/forum is that if I were to say anything that is inaccurate or deceptive, someone would point it out in a very, very short time. Well, this is a pretty good thing, isn't it. So, any lies or horseshit would be shot down in no time.

Now, what can I say. YMMV - your mileage may vary. How true. Some folks might not be able to get the same results as I got. It might be due to any of the following reasons:

1 Variation in quality - as zoom lenses goes, which typically has got 15 to 20+ elements, we might not get them all 100% aligned and so, it is said that there are copies that are so darn good and there are others that are mediocre. But, as this is a premium range of lens from Sigma, the EX range, we should expect it to have better quality assurance, better built quality and durability.

2 Skill of the one behind the VF - I know that there are newbies who are not able to hold steady a 200mm lens. So, 300mm could be somewhat difficult. In NS speak, there are those who are wowo king, blur king, gabra king etc who could not handle the M16 proficiently. I guess they are the ones having the same problem in photodom. On the other hand, those who were marksman, sharpshooters and snipers should also do well in tele-lenses.

3 Your experience - your experience counts a great deal. Those who are into birding shoots know very well. They know how to approach the birds, where to find them and so forth. And then, handling long lens is a different ball game from shorter lenses. Now, aviation shoot is even tougher in that you don't get to shoot aerial display that often. The Airshow comes every 2years. The RSAF openhouse onces every few years. So, not so many opportunities to practice.
    Last edited by smallaperture; 8th September 2008 at 10:36 AM.

After a long 2.5years playing with this pretty fabulous toy, I am now somewhat tired with it and feel like moving on to find some other new toys. Here are some of the possibilities:

1 Move on to Prime - like the superlative Nikkor 300F4 AFS. This is about the biggest or longest I would go, as an amateur. I would not go into those super-teles like 500mm or even 600mm that are like a monster piece of glass. Such stuff would scare the daylight out of my curious neighbours. It is not so much the cost. It is like the weight, something that is almost a back-breaking ton of glass to move around. I will still be shooting long lenses, and this Nikkor is still 300mm and still F4. Then, the next question is whether this Nikkor gives significantly better PQ. Well, as long lenses goes, very often, we need to crop like 2x or even more, so, a little better PQ goes a long way. And then, if I were to add a 1.4xTC, a bit better resolution is crucial.

2 Move on to FX - this is about the right time to move up to FX, with the juice clean output that is almost noiseless and many has been waiting in the sideline to lay hands on this crazy little thing called FX and this has become affordable to most working adults. As I am a big, big fan of long lenses, FX actually works against the use of long lenses in that you loose like 1.5x the crop factor advantage.

3 I have so far neglected something for a long, long time - birds. Done quite a bit of zoo, but hardly any birds. I might wanna to get the Friends of Birds and shoot a year or so worth of birds. I do not go for free roaming birds as I do not have the patience of hunting down such birds.

4 Going for the ultimate in wild-life - the Kruger Nature Reserve. Come to think of it, going for a 5day or even a 10day safari might not give you the kind of pictures you look for, like those we see in magazines, in Nat Geo and so forth. Actually, even in the zoo, at times, you havest might be disappointing in that you dun get the kind of stuff you wanted, as you friends there might just be hiding, or just too far away. 300mm is just barely enough, even for our zoo.

5 Waiting for some great swell lenses to be announced by Nikon. Maybe a AFS100-400VR. Or other better offerings. Sigma has already got 2 new lenses launched recently. Sg120-400F4.5-5.6 HSM OS - pretty interesting, pretty affordable and it has got what I wanted too - HSM for fast focusing and then, OS as well. When I've time, I might wanna to test this out. Still waiting for some reviews to be out on this lens and also, might wanna to get it in HK. Just checked, it cost US$757 at HK Tin Cheung which is pretty reasonable leh. So far, I have no issues with Sigma lenses.
    Last edited by smallaperture; 15th September 2008 at 10:07 PM.

Happened to find a old picture from the Airshow in Feb08. What I liked to show is that the original pic looked like one that is fit for the recycle bin. But after some processing, it looks decent enough to me.

Last edited by smallaperture; 26th April 2009 at 03:33 PM.

Bought this lens in Apr06, which is slightly more than 3years ago.

After shooting the NDP yesterday, there was some water spray from the speedboats and the Chinook. Dunno if the water is still salty, I did some cleaning just now. Discovered that there was a scratch and from that point, the paint started to peel as I was wiping the lens.

Paint peeling is nothing new in a Sigma lens. Only diff is when it starts to happen. Mine lasted like 3years of usage. I do not bring out this lens to shoot that often, but, at the very least, I dun consider it grossly underutilised either.

Well, I might wanna to remove the paint entirely, as it is neither here nor there, just peeling off bit by bit. It is just very irritating to find black scraps all over the shop. When I have the time, I will wanna to do it and then, gaffer it up, as the naked lens body is far too smooth and slippery, thus, might be too risky to handle and risk slipping off my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture View Post
    Bought this lens in Apr06, which is slightly more than 3years ago.

After shooting the NDP yesterday, there was some water spray from the speedboats and the Chinook. Dunno if the water is still salty, I did some cleaning just now. Discovered that there was a scratch and from that point, the paint started to peel as I was wiping the lens.

Paint peeling is nothing new in a Sigma lens. Only diff is when it starts to happen. Mine lasted like 3years of usage. I do not bring out this lens to shoot that often, but, at the very least, I dun consider it grossly underutilised either.

Well, I might wanna to remove the paint entirely, as it is neither here nor there, just peeling off bit by bit. It is just very irritating to find black scraps all over the shop. When I have the time, I will wanna to do it and then, gaffer it up, as the naked lens body is far too smooth and slippery, thus, might be too risky to handle and risk slipping off my hands.
    Bro, I've gaffered mine.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345