Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lens test - Sigma100-300F4

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lens test - Sigma100-300F4

ah. din know u've posted a review of this lens. would have saved me the trouble of hunting reviews fm overseas.

good job, smallaperture! i just got the older IF HSM version. was intending to sell it but now am keeping it for the time being. is there any significant difference bet ur DG version and mine, apart from the coating which u mentioned?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    ah. din know u've posted a review of this lens. would have saved me the trouble of hunting reviews fm overseas.

good job, smallaperture! i just got the older IF HSM version. was intending to sell it but now am keeping it for the time being. is there any significant difference bet ur DG version and mine, apart from the coating which u mentioned?
    From what I understand and observe, there is very little practical difference between the older IF and new DG version. The lens formula and external features are all the same. I guess it is more like a marketing gimmick and some minor cosmetic change. But of course, I am no expert in all this - me an amateur leh. So, keep the lens if you like it.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Some more recent photos can be seen here:
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=207826

Now, this time, I am added 2 pictures here, as purely test shots to show how the bokeh looks. It looks good to me, so much so that I might want to do some portraits with this kind of bokeh.

First 2 pic taken with the SG100-300F4. The last pic taken with another lens, the Nk300F4D. Can see quite a big difference in the bokeh. Would you describe one as creamy,smooth and pleasant and the other as jarring, messy and unsightly?

2 more pix with another lens not know for good bokeh, but just a decent lens, the Tm28-200XR. Actually, I did this to see for myself what different bokeh we get from my various limited number of lenses. And share them here as well.
    Last edited by smallaperture; 6th August 2006 at 02:59 PM.

Someone PMed me to ask why I said the word Sharpness is Taboo.

Many folks use the word sharpness indiscriminately. We read this time and again - this lens a bit soft wide open, sharp from F4 onwards - very sharp lens except towards the long end. So different people have different standards of sharpness la.

How sharp is sharp? When you print 20x30 inches or viewed at 100% on the monitor? But then, how often do amateurs print that big. Even if you print that big, where are you gonna to put in? So big? Hang it in your living room? Next, viewing 100% on the monitor - that depends on whether you're using a 6Mp or 10Mp dSLR and that makes quite a bit of difference.

We have MTF, SQF, lp/mm measurements, test charts and so forth that gives objective measurement of sharpness, contrast, distortion.... So, how qualified are those chaps who tell you how sharp or otherwise.

Next, especially for zoom lenses that could have as many as 20 elements, there could be some sample variation, that is to say, if you're lucky, you get a great copy or you could get a lemon.

When looking for a lens, some of the more important factors to me are:
    1 AF speed - unless you shoot stationary stuff all the time
    2 Ability to shoot without camera shake - either with tripod/monopod or hand-held (if possible not to have anything that moves during AF)
    3 Distortion, flare, CA
    4 Tripod collar
    5 Front element rotates or not/Constant length or not
    6 Build quality, durability, reliability, price, resale value......

So dun worry about sharpness becos taboo, be happy.
    Last edited by smallaperture; 8th August 2006 at 10:41 PM.

I suppose this thread has served it's purpose already. I am now moving on to play with my new toy, the D200 - an awesome cam that I am so very delighted with it and I am spending less time surfing the net and CS. Just got 2 more pix to share here on this thread and then close it.

Shots taken during the Chan Bros roadshow at Suntec - bellydancing by an artiste all the way from Istanbul.

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    I suppose this thread has served it's purpose already. I am now moving on to play with my new toy, the D200 - an awesome cam that I am so very delighted with it and I am spending less time surfing the net and CS. Just got 2 more pix to share here on this thread and then close it.

Shots taken during the Chan Bros roadshow at Suntec - bellydancing by an artiste all the way from Istanbul.
    Ur u using this lens 100-300 Sigma on this pics.Nice
    Have u try 120-300f2.8 sigma?I'm interested on this lens.
    Canon FF,1.3X,1.6X

Quote Originally Posted by ComB
    Ur u using this lens 100-300 Sigma on this pics.Nice
    Have u try 120-300f2.8 sigma?I'm interested on this lens.
    Oops, sorry - I got it mixed up. The Turkish belly dance shot with my Tm28-75.

Well, the 120-300F2.8 is too big, too heavy and too expensive for me. I am afraid you cannot try in any shop - they do not carry the stock and you need to place a deposit to get them to order....... In my opinion, F4 is largely enough, why go to F2.8? Is there any good reasons for you to need F2.8?

Oops, sorry - I got it mixed up. The Turkish belly dance shot with my Tm28-75.

Well, the 120-300F2.8 is too big, too heavy and too expensive for me. I am afraid you cannot try in any shop - they do not carry the stock and you need to place a deposit to get them to order....... In my opinion, F4 is largely enough, why go to F2.8? Is there any good reasons for you to need F2.8?
    Yaa.I do have 300f4 IS which i like very much, but i need that zoom range to cover my low light sport shooting(f2.8).I do bump up my iso1600 but still produce low shutter speed at f4.
    To buy 300f2.8 IS is totally out of my mine...
    Yes 100-300f4 sigma is one of the best lens they produce and small but 120-300 looks interesting.Abt weight,yaa it's heavy but i will mount it on monopod....thks
    Canon FF,1.3X,1.6X

Yaa.I do have 300f4 IS which i like very much, but i need that zoom range to cover my low light sport shooting(f2.8).I do bump up my iso1600 but still produce low shutter speed at f4.
    To buy 300f2.8 IS is totally out of my mine...
    Yes 100-300f4 sigma is one of the best lens they produce and small but 120-300 looks interesting.Abt weight,yaa it's heavy but i will mount it on monopod....thks
    In last week's RSAF airshow shoot, I was very delighted with the Sg100-300. Able to zoom out on the big birds and then, zoom in all the way to 300 for the fighter jets in flight. AF was lightning fast and more than fast enough for the shoot. In the 500 odd shots, I only got a handful of hunting only, due to the subject out of my sensor. This is like the ultimate challenge for a lens.

Now, low light sports shooting is another ballgame altogether. I have never done it. Maybe, some day I will try it to see what it is like.

In last week's RSAF airshow shoot, I was very delighted with the Sg100-300. Able to zoom out on the big birds and then, zoom in all the way to 300 for the fighter jets in flight. AF was lightning fast and more than fast enough for the shoot. In the 500 odd shots, I only got a handful of hunting only, due to the subject out of my sensor. This is like the ultimate challenge for a lens.

Now, low light sports shooting is another ballgame altogether. I have never done it. Maybe, some day I will try it to see what it is like.
    Yes for sigma lens.I do own sigma 70-200 f2.8 during my nikon d70 days before i switch to canon and this is one of the good lens they produce,but the range not long enough.If to compare 70-200 sigma n 70-200 VR nikon,i would say the diff are nikon abit sharper at 2.8 and with good bokeh,by f4 sharpness are the same..
    May i ask,how abt the sharpness(100-300f4) at wide open?Not to worries,i don't expect super sharpness.I hope it can track(focus) oncoming subject.
    Canon FF,1.3X,1.6X

this lens is sharp as nail!... wow..

but HSM is as fast as AF-S?
    Last edited by ykgen; 6th September 2006 at 11:28 PM.
    used Nikon, Canon, Panasonic n Oly.. now Fujifilm

Yes for sigma lens.I do own sigma 70-200 f2.8 during my nikon d70 days before i switch to canon and this is one of the good lens they produce,but the range not long enough.If to compare 70-200 sigma n 70-200 VR nikon,i would say the diff are nikon abit sharper at 2.8 and with good bokeh,by f4 sharpness are the same..
    May i ask,how abt the sharpness(100-300f4) at wide open?Not to worries,i don't expect super sharpness.I hope it can track(focus) oncoming subject.
    Dunno if this is sharp inuf for you? Taken handheld wide open at F4. 2nd pix 100% crop without any post-processing. Go check EXIF for other info.

As for the ability to track oncoming subject and at what speed, me dunno leh. Actually, what have you got in mind? Racing cars, flying birds, wakeboarding?
    Last edited by smallaperture; 7th September 2006 at 12:57 PM.

Dunno if this is sharp inuf for you? Taken handheld wide open at F4. 2nd pix 100% crop without any post-processing. Go check EXIF for other info.

As for the ability to track oncoming subject and at what speed, me dunno leh. Actually, what have you got in mind? Racing cars, flying birds, wakeboarding?
    HI smallaperture,thks for the pics.Yes for me this is sharp enough as u say no post-processing.
    My interest more on sport shooting e.g bike racing,motor sport,wakeboarding,soccer n others fast action.Yaa for day shooting,this lens will be a great lens with zoom and fast with HSM.The reason i'm looking for 120-300f2.8 is becos i have 2 canon lens with f4 (70-200 n 300 IS).Both ar very good handheld.I need 2.8 in case i shot low light (at lease i gain some shutter speed) and may be this my last lens i buy.But i will buy if i get good copy, u know very expensive stuff-cannot play play lahhh...
    Canon FF,1.3X,1.6X

HI smallaperture,thks for the pics.Yes for me this is sharp enough as u say no post-processing.
    My interest more on sport shooting e.g bike racing,motor sport,wakeboarding,soccer n others fast action.Yaa for day shooting,this lens will be a great lens with zoom and fast with HSM.The reason i'm looking for 120-300f2.8 is becos i have 2 canon lens with f4 (70-200 n 300 IS).Both ar very good handheld.I need 2.8 in case i shot low light (at lease i gain some shutter speed) and may be this my last lens i buy.But i will buy if i get good copy, u know very expensive stuff-cannot play play lahhh...
    Those sports you mentioned are outdoor events - no need for F2.8. The diff is 1stop - can compensate by upping the ISO by 1 stop. I tot you shoot indoor sports like pingpong, badminton etc. May I ask how often do you shoot indoors?

As for looking for a good copy, I think it is gonna to be an uphill task. That lens is not in stock in any of the regular stores. And you need to put in a deposit for them to order 1 piece for you. Here is not US where you can take it home, try for a week and return if you dislike it or not up to your expectation. And I doubt Sigma Mktg has got several copies either. And it is impossible to get hold of several copies to test and choose the best. Good luck if you can do that.

I consider myself lucky to get a good copy, in stock at AP/Funan.
    Last edited by smallaperture; 8th September 2006 at 01:20 PM.

Got this pic from the Bigbike show - like it very much.

Also, you may wish to check out some fast-action pix taken during the PLAB Open House here:
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=220397

and here:
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=221614

[QUOTE=smallaperture]Got this pic from the Bigbike show - like it very much.

Hi smallaperture,if this pics from ur sigma,i says I hope the sigma lens which i'm looking can produce as sharp as yours at wide open (f2.8).Yaa,the reason is i may use it for low light not most of the time eg.night football,ect..ect.(my last lens to buy))There are
    some of my f4 lens which i happy with.U can check it out

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=188160

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=220536

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=222624

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=218035
    Canon FF,1.3X,1.6X

hi smallaperture, the quality of the 100-300 is indeed remarkable... am really wondering its performance when it comes to sport photography. So far the pics that you have demonstrated are basically static shots... do you have any pictures of sports (players running towards you from 30m distance) done with this lens?

my previous sigma performed well in static shots too, but when it comes to tracking field sports, the AF is not always fast enough to keep up. For sports AF is equally a big concern other than the sharpness...

[QUOTE=ComB;2484893]
    Got this pic from the Bigbike show - like it very much.

[/url]
    I just realised that I shot the Maxim gal at ISO1600! I arrived late and got lots of stuff to shoot and forgot to check the settings. But then, it looks great at that high ISO - much better than I expected from the D200 with it's 10Mp sensor.

BTW, KRW has just posted some wonderful noise and resolution comparison at various ISO.

Your shots are genuinely good.
    Last edited by smallaperture; 23rd September 2006 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by actionman View Post
    hi smallaperture, the quality of the 100-300 is indeed remarkable... am really wondering its performance when it comes to sport photography. So far the pics that you have demonstrated are basically static shots... do you have any pictures of sports (players running towards you from 30m distance) done with this lens?

my previous sigma performed well in static shots too, but when it comes to tracking field sports, the AF is not always fast enough to keep up. For sports AF is equally a big concern other than the sharpness...
    I had not problem tracking fighter jets flying across at Mach0.5 or thereabout during the PLAB open house. You can check out some of the shots here:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=221614

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=220397

I was amazed as to how much I could crop and still get some decent pix during the Airshow.

IMO, the AF speed depends on the lens, with HSM or not and the camera as well. Also, do make use of all the advanced and smart AF setting like predictive focusing, and a host of other stuff for action shots.

The next challenge for me and this lens and the camera would be to shoot auto-sports at the Kallang carpark rallies - tracking cars moving towards you or away from you.

Another item coming would be the HSBC wakeboard coming next week - that is also a good event to test both the lens and the camera. And a challenge for the one behind the camera as well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast