Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lens test - Sigma100-300F4

Default Re: Lens test - Sigma100-300F4

hai.. when are they(Sigma) going to release a AF100-300F4 EX APO DG OS HSM

Quote Originally Posted by Bluestrike
    hai.. when are they(Sigma) going to release a AF100-300F4 EX APO DG OS HSM
    Well, that would make a good lens fantastic. Then, if they do it in the APS (DX) format, it would be even better - smaller in size, lighter and hopefully cheaper. As it is, I start to feel the weight liao. Or better still, Nikon and Canon transfer the VR to the sensor. as Pentax and KM/Sony have already done it.
    Last edited by smallaperture; 4th August 2006 at 02:14 PM.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Now 2 more pix, taken under realistic conditions, or see how it performs in the field - this time, not testing, but real photos from a walk in the wild side - well, not that wild as they are taken from our zoo.

This is the black face golden gibbon with a grumpy expression. He doesn't like the look of my lens.....

This is the Bengal white tiger, having a swim after a heavy meal, in the sweltering equatorial heat....
    Last edited by smallaperture; 18th June 2006 at 06:05 PM.

er.. u never sharpen using any photoshop rite?
    and btw, did u handheld the animal shots or used tripod?
    09 Oct 09 officially marks the date I become a canon convert.

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2
    er.. u never sharpen using any photoshop rite?
    and btw, did u handheld the animal shots or used tripod?
    Just slight sharpening with PS. Shots made handheld becos me too lazy to bring the heavy and cumbersome 055 tripod la.

And one monkey pix to show the bokeh. This may not be a very good example of the bokeh. Well, if you get good bokeh, it's a bonus.

And here is another tiger pic, this time w/o sharpening.

Last edited by smallaperture; 18th June 2006 at 01:09 AM.

seems like a veri gd lens to mi...was going to get the nk 80-200...
    but looks like i'm gonna seriously consider this lens....
    http://thepeepingthom.com/ :: pre-weddings :: portraits ::

Wow looks pretty good for the $$
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84
    Wow looks pretty good for the $$
    Well, I am pretty happy with this lens. So, here is the overall view of the lens:

Likes: I get a much better range as compared with the 70-200F2.8, but got a 1 stop penalty, but in digital, just up the ISO to compensate. At first, I find this lens a bit bigger and slightly heavier than the 80-200 that I was used to, but now, more or less got used to it already. And the HSM works wonders in almost instantaneous focusing.

Dislikes: Requires a 82mm size filter, which is not readily available off-the-shelf and needless to say, expensive. But in digital, you hardly need any more filters than the NC or UV filter for protection.

I bought the 70-200 f/4 because of the price and weight. How much heavier is the 100-300? Handholdable for long?
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84
    I bought the 70-200 f/4 because of the price and weight. How much heavier is the 100-300? Handholdable for long?
    Well, it is like 1.4kg. So, with the body, it is like 2.0kg or so. Depending on your biceps - I usually take 2-3 shots and then, put in down. Too heavy to hold for long. Or best to carry a monopod at least. And the 70-200F4 is a great lens in terms of weight, size and price. Unfortunately, neither Sigma nor Nikon has that.

heard that cant be use in 350D cant lock at AF, anyone know of this?

is this lens suitable for sports?

Quote Originally Posted by harrynkl
    heard that cant be use in 350D cant lock at AF, anyone know of this?
    Hearsay? Rumours? I suggest you go to Alan Photo and try it out for yourself. From what I understand, the EF version locks focus even much better than the NAF version!

Quote Originally Posted by WongCL
    is this lens suitable for sports?
    This lens has got HSM - very fast and very quiet AF - suits sports to the tee! I haven't got the oportunity to shoot any sports yet, except for some beach volleyball, which is not quite demanding for fast AF.

After getting the FOZ, I sort of kaopoon the zoo. Here are another 2 pix to share.
    First pic is a portrait of a jaguar and the second is the king of ape enjoying the king of fruits.

sigma 100-300 f4 seems like a sigma 70-200 f2.8 with "built-in" 1.4x TC

any comments performance-wise?
    EOS 1D II, EOS 30, EOS 3, A-1, Canonet G-III QL17
    28/1.8, 17-40/4L, 85/1.8, 580EX II, 50/1.4 SSC

Quote Originally Posted by ac240v
    sigma 100-300 f4 seems like a sigma 70-200 f2.8 with "built-in" 1.4x TC

any comments performance-wise?
    Yeah, ac240v, you're spot on - in terms of aperture and in terms of zoom range.

Performance? Well, you see for yourself here with a few pictures posted here, including a 100% crop for you. What else, I have written a user-report here - it may not be very professional nor comprehensive enough perhaps. Definitely nothing on sharpness as this S word is taboo to me.

As I go along, I will add more pictures and maybe, more attributes or more info on the practical day-to-day usage of the lens. More of the practical aspects of using the lens rather than any lens test based on lab conditions.

BTW, if this is your first post here in CS, then, may I extend a warm welcome to you and enjoy your visit here in CS. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    Yeah, ac240v, you're spot on - in terms of aperture and in terms of zoom range.

Performance? Well, you see for yourself here with a few pictures posted here, including a 100% crop for you. What else, I have written a user-report here - it may not be very professional nor comprehensive enough perhaps. Definitely nothing on sharpness as this S word is taboo to me.

As I go along, I will add more pictures and maybe, more attributes or more info on the practical day-to-day usage of the lens. More of the practical aspects of using the lens rather than any lens test based on lab conditions.

BTW, if this is your first post here in CS, then, may I extend a warm welcome to you and enjoy your visit here in CS. Cheers.
    hi smallaperture, yea this is my 1st post in CS. cos everythin i wanna ask haf been discussed b4 in e forums. thanx for e warm welcome.

wat i meant was comparison between ur lens n e 70-200f2.8 w/1.4xTC. cos i'm thinkin of gettin either one of these lenses.

70-200f2.8 is (slightly) smaller n lighter n it's f2.8 n if i need longer reach i can slap a TC in. but i cant get f2.8 if i get e 100-300f4.
    with e 70-200f2.8 + TC i can choose when i want bigger aperture or longer reach.

wat was ur reason for gettin that lens instead of 70-200f2.8 w/1.4xTC? i noe that TC reduces image quality. but is it that bad?

sorry for askin so many qns. hope u dun mind. thanx. =P
    EOS 1D II, EOS 30, EOS 3, A-1, Canonet G-III QL17
    28/1.8, 17-40/4L, 85/1.8, 580EX II, 50/1.4 SSC

I used to have a Nk80-200F2.8D - everything was great except that the AF is far too slow to shoot any fast actions. And I also have a 1.4TC to go with it and the AF was even slower.

Now, your thinking of getting the 70-200F2.8 is spot-on - got the flexibility of a shorter range and F2.8 and when you need a longer range, just snap on a 1.4xTC and there you go.

For my case, what I need is a much longer range, so that from 300, I still can go to 420 with a 1.4x TC added. Even in the JBP, zoo or sports, very often 300 is barely enough, so you either have to crop or get a TC. In general, the drop in optical performance is quite negligeable IMO if you use just a 1.4xTC.

Also, I am more for capturing a decent pic rather than getting absolutely sharp and contrasty picture - of course, if my pic turns out to be very sharp and contrasty and the colour spot-on, I would be so delighted.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast