Thread: Tips on cleaning SMC Polariser

Default Tips on cleaning SMC Polariser

I just bought my first polariser, a Hoya pro-1 , when I hold it against the light, i notice that it is not uniformly clear.

Imagine that you breathe on a piece of glass to create a thin layer of condesation,thats how it looks like on parts of my lens.

Seeking on advices on methods to clean the lens, I heard that multicoated lens are a pain to clean.

Was in half a mind to bring it back to the shop and get their help to clean it.

Default Re: Tips on cleaning SMC Polariser

You could try a lenspen but hoya filters has been known to be hard to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian
    I just bought my first polariser, a Hoya pro-1 , when I hold it against the light, i notice that it is not uniformly clear.

Imagine that you breathe on a piece of glass to create a thin layer of condesation,thats how it looks like on parts of my lens.

Seeking on advices on methods to clean the lens, I heard that multicoated lens are a pain to clean.

Was in half a mind to bring it back to the shop and get their help to clean it.

Thanks for the advice.

I've read a couple of threads about cleaning UV filters, such as using lens pen, cleaning tissue/solution. Are there any which are especially recommended/not recommended for MC-Polarisers?

Also, the desciption on the filter packaging says that "seven layers of multicoating on the rear surface eliminate flare...blah blah". Does that mean that there are no coatings on front surface? I'm asking because there seems to be concerns on coatings coming off due to inappropiate cleaning techniques.

Thanks for the advice.

I've read a couple of threads about cleaning UV filters, such as using lens pen, cleaning tissue/solution. Are there any which are especially recommended/not recommended for MC-Polarisers?

Also, the desciption on the filter packaging says that "seven layers of multicoating on the rear surface eliminate flare...blah blah". Does that mean that there are no coatings on front surface? I'm asking because there seems to be concerns on coatings coming off due to inappropiate cleaning techniques.
    i use lenspens for frequent cleaning, for a full "deep" clean i will use lens tissue + very small amount of lens solution

For me, usually it's blower first, followed by 3M micro-cloth....

Thanks for the advice.

Hoya is coated both back an front. The following is from a Hoya distributer webpage:

Hoya manufactures a full line of filters in both standard and Hoya multi-coated. The difference between Hoya’s standard line and that of other manufacturers is that Hoya standard filters have one layer of anti-reflective coating applied to each surface of the glass. Many other manufacturers standard filters are bare glass, and bare glass can reflect as much as 9% of the light hitting it. This greatly increases the risks of flare and ghosting.

Quote Originally Posted by smtan24
    Hoya is coated both back an front. The following is from a Hoya distributer webpage:

Hoya manufactures a full line of filters in both standard and Hoya multi-coated. The difference between Hoya’s standard line and that of other manufacturers is that Hoya standard filters have one layer of anti-reflective coating applied to each surface of the glass. Many other manufacturers standard filters are bare glass, and bare glass can reflect as much as 9% of the light hitting it. This greatly increases the risks of flare and ghosting.
    But HOYA don't tell people that others also have multi-coated filter series. For example: B+W filter is MRC, which is multi coated on both side of glass, and easier to clean than HOYA filter .

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    But HOYA don't tell people that others also have multi-coated filter series. For example: B+W filter is MRC, which is multi coated on both side of glass, and easier to clean than HOYA filter .

Regards,
    Arto.
    You are right don't specifically mention if the HMC and SMC are multi coated on both sides. Some source seem to suggest that they are.