Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosque in Brunei at Sunset

Default Mosque in Brunei at Sunset

Masjid Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddin

Default Re: Mosque in Brunei at Sunset

Wow!! Nice shot. i like it but do you think if the bottom part in the reflection to be crop a bit? Seems like there's a bit much of space compared to the top.

Just a noob with my 0.02 cents

Very nice

Quote Originally Posted by sail2horizon
    Wow!! Nice shot. i like it but do you think if the bottom part in the reflection to be crop a bit? Seems like there's a bit much of space compared to the top.

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback. I did not want to cut the image dead in the center between the subject and its reflection. Wanted to at least stay as close to the rule of thirds as I possibly can.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil
    Very nice
    Glad you like it! It was a nice sunset that day.

I like it! Did you stay on later to shoot when it was dark-- with the green illumination frm the lights?

Quote Originally Posted by Ridicule
    I like it! Did you stay on later to shoot when it was dark-- with the green illumination frm the lights?
    Unfortunately, no. Did not have my tripod with me anyway so would not have been able to get a good stable shot. As it is, I had to squeeze my camera past some railing to get this shot.

I personally do not like the toxic green too much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by seankyh
    Thanks for your thoughts and feedback. I did not want to cut the image dead in the center between the subject and its reflection. Wanted to at least stay as close to the rule of thirds as I possibly can.

Thanks for the explanation and tips. It'll also helps me to learn along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sail2horizon

The picture is nice as it is. No need to crop.

Do you mind sharing the technical details... like what camera, what lens at what focal length, what exposure, etc... Just so that we can all learn?

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet
    Do you mind sharing the technical details... like what camera, what lens at what focal length, what exposure, etc... Just so that we can all learn?
    Sure, notttipiglet! (love the nick!)

D70, Nikkor 12-24mm taken at 17mm. f4, 1/13, handheld but rested it on some railings. B+W circular polarizer. Apeture prio + Matrix metering. ISO 200.

Post processing - rotate (original had slightly tilted horizon), minor levelling and some cropping. Applied Neat Image to remove noise. resized for web and then slight USM.

It was the circlar polarizer that did the trick. And of course the right time of day.
    Last edited by seankyh; 4th June 2006 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seankyh
    Sure, notttipiglet! (love the nick!)

D70, Nikkor 12-24mm taken at 17mm. f4, 1/13, handheld but rested it on some railings. B+W circular polarizer. Apeture prio + Matrix metering. ISO 200.

Post processing - rotate (original had slightly tilted horizon), minor levelling and some cropping. Applied Neat Image to remove noise. resized for web and then slight USM.

It was the circlar polarizer that did the trick. And of course the right time of day.
    Great shot!

if i were given 2 words to describe it.. it would be "fantastically ethereal"
    to me, the mosque somehow pops out like a 3D image
    though i do not like the green lightings, the colour some how stands out

Quote Originally Posted by Horsba85
    if i were given 2 words to describe it.. it would be "fantastically ethereal"
    to me, the mosque somehow pops out like a 3D image
    though i do not like the green lightings, the colour some how stands out
    Thanks for your thoughts. As I said in the previous post, I felt that the toxic green really spoilt it for me. Tried PS-ing it a little but it just didn't look right. Maybe I should see if black and white works..

Quote Originally Posted by kenele
    Great shot!
    Thank you kenele.
    Last edited by seankyh; 4th June 2006 at 09:45 AM.

great photo but i would give either the mosque or the reflection more space.

looks almost dead centre to me

any picture of kampong ayer?

Quote Originally Posted by sigg
    any picture of kampong ayer?
    Did not have time to actually go in but here's a few that're taken close by..

Last edited by seankyh; 4th June 2006 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kentay
    great photo but i would give either the mosque or the reflection more space.

looks almost dead centre to me
    Thanks. I agree with your view. Maybe I should rework the crop when I have more time. I don't like the dead center feeling myself.

Tks for sharing......

Thanks for sharing the technical details. I think that's a very nice picture. There's no need to follow these 1/3 rules and all. Although I use the rules, they just help you along the way... but they are not cast in stone. Although more water may make the picture more grand, it is already nice and balanced as it is.

There are some pictures that do nothing to you when you see them... then you think about how to improve them with rules, etc... but I don't think anyone can deny the visual impact of this photo. I have seen many pictures that work, even when the subject is smack in the centre.

Sometimes, we work with what we have. For example, you won't be able to include more water if the water did not extend any further.... Only you would know, since you were there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast