Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Art or Crap?

Default Re: Art or Crap?

Quote Originally Posted by AngelZhou
    *feel ashamed get such a low score and still proud to say i'm an art student*

btw, if you guys see the cup with the fur - that's one if the highest standard post modern 3D artworks. i remember it because I find it 'so weird'.
    Sigh ... have you seen some of the graduation shows of all our esteemed art colleges and institutes in Singapore?? Or have you seen some of Damien Hirst's or Tracey Emmin's any of the YBA's (Young Brit Artists) works?? U know - at least these people 'DID' something!

U know there was this conceptual art work that won the famous Brit Art award - the Turner Prize - (can't remember which year) - it consists of an small empty room - with lights flickering on and off ... - yes that won 25 000 Brit pounds ...

Quote Originally Posted by mau_lovers
    Sigh ... have you seen some of the graduation shows of all our esteemed art colleges and institutes in Singapore?? Or have you seen some of Damien Hirst's or Tracey Emmin's any of the YBA's (Young Brit Artists) works?? U know - at least these people 'DID' something!

U know there was this conceptual art work that won the famous Brit Art award - the Turner Prize - (can't remember which year) - it consists of an small empty room - with lights flickering on and off ... - yes that won 25 000 Brit pounds ...
    ah - they are part of the syllabus standard art student get through in history of art lesson, so I think it's only normal for me to come across them. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    may i know why?
    it mixes up your senses. Evokes emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelZhou
    ah - they are part of the syllabus standard art student get through in history of art lesson, so I think it's only normal for me to come across them. Why?
    BECAUSE SOME OF THESE SO CALLED ART WORKS ARE VERY CRAPPY ... sigh .... you can put a few pieces of twigs on the floor and called it 'Conceptual Art' - as long as you can WRITE a good thesis to support - sheesh - maybe I SHOULD TRY ... no need to draw, paint etc.

vince123123
    Guests

A lot of crappy stuffs are always posted in the name of art - and the best part is, if you fail to see it as art, the artists will say that you have no artistic eye to appreciate!

I have long decided not to call something "art" or "crap/non-art".

All I will say is whether that thing appeals to me or not.

got mine at 12/16.

Seems like the basis is not the photo as an art piece, but the item/subject that was photographed.
    Last edited by whoswho; 16th June 2006 at 05:01 PM.

7/16... I don't know art from crap...
    Just me...

16/16... yuppee.....
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

jbsn > that's your second try issit? *evil grin*

mau_lovers > then I love crap then - since I do enjoy some works from some of the artists you mentioned before. I do enjoy very few of the conceptual arts too =D ( or conceptual crap ) Ya - it's the idea behind it that counts. Not the final piece. That's why they called it conceptual.

Art is about appreciation. Some people can - some people not. We appreciate different things - therefor the standard of art is very diverse from one to another.
    When there are few people that weep down when looking at a cast statute called 'the bird' by *forget what's the name* - i was looking at it blankly and quickly flip to another page. "People with emotional baggage" that's how I refer them - "People who only see with eyes - not heart" that how they probably refer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by whoswho
    got mine at 12/16.

Seems like the basis is not the photo as an art piece, but the item/subject that was photographed.
    yup - this quiz is taking some 'normal everyday subjects' and compare it to 'artwork by wellknown artist' ( which no surprise most of us not really know them XD )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12