Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it safe to drive to JB?

Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

Quote Originally Posted by blacklumix
    I think... just drive lahh. BUT!! keep ur car in view.. But if you cant. Park in well lit areas. Open air carparks Not basement ones. AND.... turn ur steering wheel towards one direction and park in head in. HAHA. sigh. JB AH JB
    The most recent case report by ST few months back was the Toyota Rav 4 being drive away by the car thief.

The driver just park at open space about 20 meters away (with car head in first) from where they having lunch or something.

The Rav 4 suddenly reverses out and tries to drive away. The driver saw it and quickly went in front of the road to block his way. But the car thief did not stop and step the accelerator and knock him down.

The driver got hurt and lost his SUV vehicle

Maybe you look like stephen chow, so they did not rob you

Quite some years ago, I was robbed by a bunch of hooligans (7 - 8 of them i think) along with 2 friends. We came back to Singapore without having started the shopping yet.

Recently, we started going back to JB (City Square/ Holiday Plaza/Daiman). In fact just last week we had supper at Daiman garden. Lucky no incidents even though car was parked for a couple hours there. But on our way back, the police blocked the flyover leading to the checkpoint and we end up having to go back by using the second link instead. Damn, maybe they just want to make us pay toll for the second link ... ...

My dad drives a SDT plate Toyota Harrier. He travels to JB very often as he run an engineering workshop with a malaysian partner. About 2 - 3 years ago, while he went to retrieve his car from the car park, there were 2 men inside his car tearing his dashboard apart! Fortunately for my dad, they ran away the instance my dad shouted at them (They could have beaten up my dad and rob his car instead). One of his windows was smashed and it was apparent that they were trying to hotwire his car (unfortunately these low-end thieves didnt know his parallel imported Harrier has got microchip lock).

My buddy marries a malaysian woman. His wife travels to Singapore daily to work as an operator. She have to leave home in the very early morning for work and she was robbed clean once. Thereafter she never walk out from her house anymore and bought a Kelisa just so that her mum can drive her to her pickup point every morning.

Are crimes real in MY? Certainly! However, I am inclined to believe that they are NOT only targeting Singapore cars. Whether it is MY registered or Singapore registered, I think they will steal it as long it is desired.

It is unfortunate that crimes are high in JB, roads are bad, traffic is high ..... the only good thing for us is the food....heehee

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Care to share the news which you have encounter. Is it from ST or other forms of media? Where are the actual facts that MY are targetting Singapore cars. Hope to know a little more as I do drive a Singapore plate car and go into Malaysia very often. So far, after 10 years not a single incident did happend to me.

Instead of saying all that, why not find out and learn if any of this actually takes place.
    Last edited by hifisiao; 3rd June 2006 at 12:37 AM.

Care to share the news which you have encounter. Is it from ST or other forms of media? Where are the actual facts that MY are targetting Singapore cars. Hope to know a little more as I do drive a Singapore plate car and go into Malaysia very often. So far, after 10 years not a single incident did happend to me.

Instead of saying all that, why not find out and learn if any of this actually takes place.
    This actually happened in my case ... My Malaysian friend and I went to Jalan Imbi (roadside hawker stalls) to have some porridge.I parked at the roadside where there were many cars. After the supper we walked back. There were at least 6 police motorbikes surrounding my car. When we walked toward the car (Sg plate, a BMW), 5 of them rode away leaving behind 1 police, insisting that it was a illegal parking offence. What will you do?

Our Johor secretary got a new car, a tiny Kancil. One Sun night she decided to leave her car outside her gate because her brother from other town came back and used up the lot inside her gate. The following Mon morning, her car was supported by bricks and she has to take a day's off to replace the tyres and rims!
    My female friend's handbag was snatched from behind by 2 guys on a motorbike (in PJ) and she was dragged about 20 metres .... suffered cuts, bruises, etc... House keys, car keys, IC, etc... all have to be replaced.

If all these first hand bad experiences still dont convince me that MY is a badly managed country, then I dont know what will. Before, I used to drive at least 2 to 3 times a month to KL, JB, etc.... but now, no more.... Just take a bus and local MRT (in KL).

Once an Indian taxi driver left me in the middle of a highway because my destination was just opposite the place he left me (probably he saw a traffic jam at my direction) .... it took me about 15 mins before i could run across the highway!

Rented my apartment in KL to a Malaysian co .... and they used my place like a hotel, letting some 15 Bangkali IT personnels to sleep in 3 shifts in my 3-rm apartment! When I went there to check one day, can still find condoms (unused) at some corners! KNN
    always the Light, .... always.

What is your problem guys?

I am an ex-Malaysian. In my 20 odd years living there I had never any problem with any police or hooligan because I always carried enough cash.

Fresh from today's ST online...

Malaysian cops tried to extort from motorist to settle offence he didn't even commit

ON WEDNESDAY at about 8pm, I was returning to Singapore after a visit to Jusco City in Johor Baru when I was stopped by two policemen on motorcycles after turning at a traffic junction.
    One of them accused me of beating the red lights at the junction. I am sure I did not and the lights turned amber just as I was crossing the junction. I argued with him but he was not interested in my explanation.

The police corporal told me the fine is RM300 (S$130) but did not proceed to issue me with a summons. Instead, he just stood there and adopted a 'wait and see' game.

This was the first time I have been stopped by a policeman in Malaysia and I have heard many stories of corrupt practices. So I guessed he must be waiting for me to 'negotiate' with him.

I asked him how we can 'settle this matter'. He told me the fine is RM300 and how much was I willing to pay him to 'settle' the matter. I realised then he wanted me to bribe him. I refused and he was unhappy. He refused to let me go but at the same time, refused to issue me with a summons.

So we just stood there for 10 minutes and I guess he was seeing how long I can endure. In the end, I had no choice but to give him RM80 (the amount he asked for).

I would like to know in such a situation, what should I do besides giving the errant policeman a bribe? If he had really issued me with a summons, how can I appeal against an offence I did not commit in the first place?

I have written to both the Royal Malaysian Police and its Anti-Corruption Unit, but there has been no response so far.

Chua Kheng Yeow

No use one lah, wrote letter to complain will end up in dustbin.
    Unless you had prepared in advance turn on your handphone camera or your friend can help to quietly took down the whole process (like CCTV). Now you have evidence and proof to support you complain letter you had file.

Stay calm and noted down any name tag on their uniform and vehicle no.
    Ask your friend that sit beside or behind you help to look up too.

Took down all the information like location, time and show them your "CCTV" when report to Singapore Police Force. Let SPF to advise what they can do to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by user12343

Malaysian cops tried to extort from motorist to settle offence he didn't even commit

I asked him how we can 'settle this matter'. He told me the fine is RM300 and how much was I willing to pay him to 'settle' the matter. I realised then he wanted me to bribe him. I refused and he was unhappy. He refused to let me go but at the same time, refused to issue me with a summons.

So we just stood there for 10 minutes and I guess he was seeing how long I can endure. In the end, I had no choice but to give him RM80 (the amount he asked for).

I would like to know in such a situation, what should I do besides giving the errant policeman a bribe? If he had really issued me with a summons, how can I appeal against an offence I did not commit in the first place?

I have written to both the Royal Malaysian Police and its Anti-Corruption Unit, but there has been no response so far.

Chua Kheng Yeow
    Mr Chua didnt realise that even though he didnt commit a traffic offence, he has now committed a criminal offence by bribing a civil servant. Like I said, to give u r damned, not to give u r also damned! ...
    Today our paper also mentioned by another robbery in a diplomat's residence in KL.
    So you think MY is a nice place to be in?
    always the Light, .... always.

no offence to our MY CSers here, but IMHO, never like to step into MY, that place gives me the queasiness immediately after the checkpoints.

tink the MY polis is starving from the pitiful allowances given by the gahment, hence gota find ways and means to earn extra pocket $$$. see SG pple visiting, liulian lai liao and pounce on the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised
    Mr Chua didnt realise that even though he didnt commit a traffic offence, he has now committed a criminal offence by bribing a civil servant. Like I said, to give u r damned, not to give u r also damned! ...
    Today our paper also mentioned by another robbery in a diplomat's residence in KL.
    So you think MY is a nice place to be in?
    With all that is happening, MY is a great place to keep a photo journo or a street shooter very busy.

tink the MY polis is starving from the pitiful allowances given by the gahment, hence gota find ways and means to earn extra pocket $$$. see SG pple visiting, liulian lai liao and pounce on the chance.
    If kena cornered MY people only give $20-$30 to traffic polis. But for SG people like Mr.Chua it's $80. Now you know the incentive if they see a SG plate.

I knew of a polis in KL who didn't have 2 houses like Pro Image but had two wives and drove a Mercedes. Only he knew how he made it.

Mr Chua didnt realise that even though he didnt commit a traffic offence, he has now committed a criminal offence by bribing a civil servant.
    It's not a crime lah. It's the way of life there.

ON WEDNESDAY at about 8pm, I was returning to Singapore after a visit to Jusco City in Johor Baru when I was stopped by two policemen on motorcycles after turning at a traffic junction.
    One of them accused me of beating the red lights at the junction. I am sure I did not and the lights turned amber just as I was crossing the junction. I argued with him but he was not interested in my explanation.

The police corporal told me the fine is RM300 (S$130) but did not proceed to issue me with a summons. Instead, he just stood there and adopted a 'wait and see' game.

This was the first time I have been stopped by a policeman in Malaysia and I have heard many stories of corrupt practices. So I guessed he must be waiting for me to 'negotiate' with him.

Chua Kheng Yeow
    There is only one thing he can do and if he is smart (which obviously he is not) "Let's go to the POLICE STATION and settle this". After giving him the money to the policeman and he starts complaining to the Anti Corruption Unit. Who would believe if the policeman is really asking the money from him? I hope this reporter has some eye witness.

This actually happened in my case ... My Malaysian friend and I went to Jalan Imbi (roadside hawker stalls) to have some porridge.I parked at the roadside where there were many cars. After the supper we walked back. There were at least 6 police motorbikes surrounding my car. When we walked toward the car (Sg plate, a BMW), 5 of them rode away leaving behind 1 police, insisting that it was a illegal parking offence. What will you do?

Our Johor secretary got a new car, a tiny Kancil. One Sun night she decided to leave her car outside her gate because her brother from other town came back and used up the lot inside her gate. The following Mon morning, her car was supported by bricks and she has to take a day's off to replace the tyres and rims!
    My female friend's handbag was snatched from behind by 2 guys on a motorbike (in PJ) and she was dragged about 20 metres .... suffered cuts, bruises, etc... House keys, car keys, IC, etc... all have to be replaced.

If all these first hand bad experiences still dont convince me that MY is a badly managed country, then I dont know what will. Before, I used to drive at least 2 to 3 times a month to KL, JB, etc.... but now, no more.... Just take a bus and local MRT (in KL).

Once an Indian taxi driver left me in the middle of a highway because my destination was just opposite the place he left me (probably he saw a traffic jam at my direction) .... it took me about 15 mins before i could run across the highway!

Rented my apartment in KL to a Malaysian co .... and they used my place like a hotel, letting some 15 Bangkali IT personnels to sleep in 3 shifts in my 3-rm apartment! When I went there to check one day, can still find condoms (unused) at some corners! KNN
    Looks like your luck is not on your side to encounter so many incidents. Maybe you should start visiting a fortune teller and ask him on whether which country can benefit you and will not get rob.

Quote Originally Posted by hifisiao
    Maybe you look like stephen chow, so they did not rob you

Quite some years ago, I was robbed by a bunch of hooligans (7 - 8 of them i think) along with 2 friends. We came back to Singapore without having started the shopping yet.

Recently, we started going back to JB (City Square/ Holiday Plaza/Daiman). In fact just last week we had supper at Daiman garden. Lucky no incidents even though car was parked for a couple hours there. But on our way back, the police blocked the flyover leading to the checkpoint and we end up having to go back by using the second link instead. Damn, maybe they just want to make us pay toll for the second link ... ...

My dad drives a SDT plate Toyota Harrier. He travels to JB very often as he run an engineering workshop with a malaysian partner. About 2 - 3 years ago, while he went to retrieve his car from the car park, there were 2 men inside his car tearing his dashboard apart! Fortunately for my dad, they ran away the instance my dad shouted at them (They could have beaten up my dad and rob his car instead). One of his windows was smashed and it was apparent that they were trying to hotwire his car (unfortunately these low-end thieves didnt know his parallel imported Harrier has got microchip lock).

My buddy marries a malaysian woman. His wife travels to Singapore daily to work as an operator. She have to leave home in the very early morning for work and she was robbed clean once. Thereafter she never walk out from her house anymore and bought a Kelisa just so that her mum can drive her to her pickup point every morning.

Are crimes real in MY? Certainly! However, I am inclined to believe that they are NOT only targeting Singapore cars. Whether it is MY registered or Singapore registered, I think they will steal it as long it is desired.

It is unfortunate that crimes are high in JB, roads are bad, traffic is high ..... the only good thing for us is the food....heehee
    Woah....if I do look like Stephen Chow, I would not be here talking about it. I will just laugh and laugh at it. WAHAHAHAHA........

There is only one thing he can do and if he is smart (which obviously he is not) "Let's go to the POLICE STATION and settle this". After giving him the money to the policeman and he starts complaining to the Anti Corruption Unit. Who would believe if the policeman is really asking the money from him? I hope this reporter has some eye witness.
    WOW, so now u r saying it is the innocent guy's fault?
    If u realise, this is exactly what the police force is NOT supposed to be abt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn
    I congratulate you in earning so much money in Singapore and even affording 2 houses back in your country. I am glad to hear there is nothing else for you here in SG except making your $, hope this does not disappoint any SG friends that you met a long the way..

I understand that you are proud of your country, but so am I. I'm not into bashing either so we are in agreement for one thing.

btw, half of my family are Malaysians.

..and yes , peace to you too.
    KAM SIA KAM SIA......Yes it true Singapore is all about earning money. I think I am not the only want lar.....you can ask a few more.

Although I am proud of my own country but we should look at a more civilised point of view. I guess there is always room for improvement. By looking at country like Malaysia and Singapore, we are quite lucky we do not go into any war. Everything is well controlled and 70-80% of the public people are happy with it.

As looking at some of the contributors are a little over exaggerate on their stories, so I would like to tone them down a little. Many love to make a mole into MOUNT EVEREST.....

vince123123
    Guests

If he goes to the Police Station, and he insists he's innocent, and the Policeman insists he is guilty, which do you think the Police Station/Court/Judge will believe? Especially when its one person's word against another.

After staying at the station for X hours, would the time have been better spent?

Can we call you next time any of us gets into a mess with the MY policeman and you speak to him in Malay for us??

Quote Originally Posted by scenar
    WOW, so now u r saying it is the innocent guy's fault?
    If u realise, this is exactly what the police force is NOT supposed to be abt.
    Hello.....when you bribe a policeman in any country, what will happend to you?

It's not that I say it's his fault but if he was smart enough, he would have insisted on a summon or if the policeman refuses to issue one, then go to the police station to settle it. All policemen are still human and have to abide by LAW. Now it's his words against yours.

Another thing is, I hope this reporter has eye witness to take this policeman down. I am for one against corruption as well. If he is just reporting about his incident without any eye witness, who would believe this actually took place.

PRO IMAGE... I said I didnt want to say anything else but then I really could not stand it after seeing how you are still so admantly proud of your country's misdeeds and trying to give excuses.

I shall now give a no holds barred (Sorry mods, feel free to delete this post if you deem fit)

1) A country where the police take bribes and it's a daily affair, says something is terribly wrong with the system. Police are supposed to be the enforcer of justice not people who take bribes at every opportunity. The people are not supposed to be SMART and know how to counter police officers who take bribes by asking them to settle at the station.. when such a thing is not even supposed to happen!!

2) Every country has crime for sure, but to deny and sweep it under the floor and say no lah.... where got?? You making a mountain over a molehill lah.... This kind of attitude breeds more crime as no real effort is taken to solve the issue.

Recently in Sipadan 100 metres of coral reef was destroyed because a barge that was ironically carrying construction materials for a GOVT project to build shelters for divers entered shallow waters. When questioned about it, the minister of Tourism said, the main officer on duty was not around that day the incident happened, and the guards didnt have guns... and if you divers are making such a mountain over a molehill than maybe we should ban diving at Sipadan.....

Firstly you dont need guns to stop a construction barge??!! Second does the minister know that coral reefs are a product of years of growth and why do people go to Sipadan? To dive and in return give the MY Govt their much need foreign exchange? duh......

It is precisely with people like you that Malaysia is still the slum that it is now. By denying every comment that has been made and not wanting to do anything about it only makes the country rot.... Malaysia can be a beautiful place or rather it is a beautiful place but with the corrupt systems in place now.... it's a slum. and seems that you are happy with a slum where 70 percent of the people are "happy"

If you are really so loyal to MY then I would advise you to quit your Singapore Job and stay put in MY. Frankly I would say to all Singaporeans. STOP going into JB.... We are being taken for fools and yet we are stupidly going to MY to give them money....
    Last edited by centuryegg; 3rd June 2006 at 05:31 PM.

KAM SIA KAM SIA......Yes it true Singapore is all about earning money. I think I am not the only want lar.....you can ask a few more.
    Come come you can also make $$ in New York.

BUt you can't tell us that at the bottom of your heart there isn't any room left for some affection for this island?

We know you are looking around for more bungalows in MY with the S$.
    Last edited by Sion; 3rd June 2006 at 01:05 PM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast