Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 145

Thread: Is it safe to drive to JB?

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Okay, perhaps it didn't come across clearly, I will then clarify to say that my previous statement is just my comments and my opinion, they are not facts are not independently verified.
    Thank you for your clarification.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    Today's ST reported there are 52 registered cars was stolen last year in JB state. Is that a lot? Crime happends everywhere. Do not forget how big Johor state is?

    I never expect Johor/Malaysia to be a crime free city/country but compare to Singapore but do you think it's easier to manage a state/country which is far greater and bigger than a small country like Singapore? Cars do not just get stolen out in the blue as we know, be it JB or Singapore registered cars lar.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Punggol 21
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    yeah tell me about it.....apparently they can't. not even a second.

    too comfortable staying here for most of them.

    ?? I might assume you are from MY? Why the cheap shot at SG ppl? U are staying comfortably in SG are'nt you?

    No offense or anything personal, but it's like while you enter a home to a good host, which provides security and creature comforts, with a lot of personal safety..and yet it is being bad mouthed for not being brave enough to step out of the comfort zone that provided you?

    I agree with you that SG is a small dot compared to JB, and crimes happens everywhere. However, there are already quite a number reports about incidents with SG ppl going there already, isolated ? maybe..
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    I am in no way bashing malaysians or malaysia. My mother is Malaysian and half my family is still there. Facts are facts. There are syndicates which target Singapore cars of certain makes, the cars are renumber plated and then send for sales across the border in Thailand. Its a fact.... and if you want proof, kindly look in the newspapers in Singapore and Malaysia, I believe there was a few articles on it.

    I respect you as half Malaysian. Is it Chinese newspaper or ST? Chinese newspapers love to spice up small little news. I know you are not bashing up Malaysians as you are after all a Malaysian as well.

    I have had personal experiences of close friends whom I meet EVERYDAY not some story of some friend's friend within the span of 3 years.

    1) Had her handbag snatched and her bf beaten up when he tried to corner the robber.
    2) Friend who just bought a new car, a honda jazz was having dinner at Orang Asli Seafood. Car was there before dinner and gone after dinner. She cried for a week.... her first car.
    3) Client had his CRV stolen from hotel, car was literally rammed through the hotel carpark barricade
    4) Client had an entire shipment of goods that was about to be launched in the market (we are talking about a whole container) stolen from the port (Of course this was in KL not JB) A port which is supposed to be secure... and a whole container could disappear! Thanks to that he could not sell his product at all as he didnt want pasar malams across KL to sell the product at 10 percent of his retail price when he launched it thus devaluing it.

    In the span of three years, you expected a country to stay crime free? You mean in Singapore, no vehicle got stolen? Nobody snatches womens hand bag? Nobody got beaten up?

    Whenever I go to KL or JB, without fail I will be stopped by the Traffic police. It can range from a "You have committed serious traffic offence! You speeding!!" or "BOY you see the sign? (That small tiny sign that is not lighted up at night) no turning out of carpark here" And followed by "very serious offence, very heavy fine... must pay now" Of course we all know what is the outcome after that..... Settle lor....

    That is the problem. If you really want to "SETTLE LOR" for less hassle, then you are just making those police officers happier and be more daring. To me, if a police catches me for speeding I will just ask them to write a ticket. It all about how you handle a police officer.

    Why isn't there much corruption in Singapore Police force? Reason is simple. First, everyone here abide the by the law and pay up their dues or else they cannot drive in Singapore. In Malaysia it's actually the same but because of some bad eggs (not targetting anybody at all) started all this nonsense of bribing police officers because they can get away with the crime they commit. So when you "SETTLE LOR", you have actually breaking the law already. I am pretty sure if you try to bribe a Singapore Police Officer, you have commited a crime.


    When I am in KL, I was once working late, and my malaysian i repeat true blood MALAYSIAN colleague asked me as he was driving me back to the hotel. You have a lot of SGD on you? I said "yeah a couple of hundreds why? scared of robbers?" he said "no scared of police roadblocks, here the police worse than robbers"

    If you have not commited any crime, why are you afraid of roadblocks? I don't see any logic here.

    To those who are saying that Singaporeans are weaklings and shouldnt travel overseas. I think you are getting it all wrong. What we are trying to say is why do we want to ask for trouble to go to a country where the Govt, the people clearly do not have a great fondness for us and see us as fat lambs. To go get jammed in the causeway and spend ringgit to enrich the lives of people that have disdain for us. In mandarin it would be called "Cheap and shameless" I dont see such trouble when I travel overseas to other places but Malaysia, once the "ah Singaporean hah you...." appears, it's trouble.

    How true fat lambs Singaporeans are, I would like to hear a little more opinions. We are only hearing one side of the story now. Not buying it for now.

    I agree on some areas on what you are trying to say. And this debate will go on and on and on like Energizer batteries.

    If it is such a hassle and BIG TROUBLE to travel JB (Which still MANY MANY MANY Singaporeans do and just observe when it's a long weekend holiday), then where can you actually drive your car to?
    Last edited by Pro Image; 2nd June 2006 at 10:22 PM.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn
    ?? I might assume you are from MY? Why the cheap shot at SG ppl? U are staying comfortably in SG are'nt you?

    No offense or anything personal, but it's like while you enter a home to a good host, which provides security and creature comforts, with a lot of personal safety..and yet it is being bad mouthed for not being brave enough to step out of the comfort zone that provided you?

    I agree with you that SG is a small dot compared to JB, and crimes happens everywhere. However, there are already quite a number reports about incidents with SG ppl going there already, isolated ? maybe..
    I know this kinda of comment will come sooner or later. If not for MONETARY reasons, I would not stay in Singapore lar. No where in the world there is a thing call comfort zone. Safety wise....well a little better off as after all it's a small dot. Staying in Singapore comfortably? Not really. I have a house in JB and KL as well. Over here it's all about making money only. Nothing much to look forward too.

    Obviously, everyone knows I am a Malaysian lar. That is pretty obvious. I do not want to go into a debate about staying here and there. And if you read carefully, I am in no way bashing up Singaporeans. Personally, the medias are over hyping (if not who will buy and read newspaper). I am from a media myself lar.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Punggol 21
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    How true fat lambs Singaporeans are, I would like to hear a little more opinions. We are only hearing one side of the story now. Not buying it for now.

    You have a problem with Singaporeans? Or is it a green eye comment that SG ppl can be fat lambs and you can't?
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    I know this kinda of comment will come sooner or later. If not for MONETARY reasons, I would not stay in Singapore lar. No where in the world there is a thing call comfort zone. Safety wise....well a little better off as after all it's a small dot. Staying in Singapore comfortably? Not really. I have a house in JB and KL as well. Over here it's all about making money only. Nothing much to look forward too.

    Obviously, everyone knows I am a Malaysian lar. That is pretty obvious. I do not want to go into a debate about staying here and there. And if you read carefully, I am in no way bashing up Singaporeans. Personally, the medias are over hyping (if not who will buy and read newspaper). I am from a media myself lar.

    Talking about a small dot, isn't Penang smaller than Singapore? Yet, Penang have one of the highest crime rate in Malaysia besides KL, Selangor and JB.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    Guys, peace man. I am not hear about bashing session. Just want to know if all the comments and facts given are ACTUAL truth or just hearing some somebody?

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn
    You have a problem with Singaporeans? Or is it a green eye comment that SG ppl can be fat lambs and you can't?
    I think you are missing my point here. As I mentioned, this is not a bashing session. Please don't make a mole out of a mountain. If I have a problem with Singaporeans, do you think I will be working here? Think about it. I would always love to see and hear truth facts and not just say say.

    Media have some facts to it but not all are clear cut.

    My sentence was not clear cut. This is what happend when media people do not write cleary.

    When I say "HOW TRUE FATS LAMBS SINGAPOREANS, I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR A LITTLE MORE OPINIONS" means I am not convinced all Singaporeans are FAT LAMBS. So that is why I would like to hear a little more facts and opinions about it. By the way, I am not the one who commented Singaporeans are FAT LAMBS. Nothing to be green eyed about it. I have my fair share of FAT LAMBS already.
    Last edited by Pro Image; 2nd June 2006 at 10:31 PM.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    each time I read about these threads about singaporeans going JB, it makes me laugh and cringe at the same time. Apparently, it makes simgaporeans look like they could not survive an hour outside of singapore -see a problem with this?

    I disagree. I feel more safe in Bangkok than JB.

  11. #51
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    Pls lah.....JB crime is all over the Straits Times every now and then...it was also all over Msian paper like NST, Nanyang and Sinchew, what is there to proof? If a national News Paper like Straits Times still couldn't get the fact right, you think those Umno Youth people will shut up and sit silent?

    I am not bashing Msian too as I am also one, .....what I want to say is JB is just ridiculously managed by a bunch of jokers......they spend so much time playing golf, kaopeh about the water, the bridge and the sand but never bother a tiny bit of security.....to be honous, who want to **** in their backyard? Most crime are commited by foreigner I am sure, Johorian themselve are suffering since they have to worry about their own family safety every day and night......chinese we said "有苦难言", business and reputation greatly affected by all these nagative things Protitute, transversive, drug addict, burglar, thief, swindler, rapist, car jacker, bookie, ah long you name it Singapore has it but I don't think we need a poll to vote which site can better control...

    Given the proximity to Sg, JB has all the factors to be Msia no.1 if not the richest City and State but where do they stand today? It's a fact that SGD and Sporean buying power is strong.....I am just not happy at the way it is being run in JB becoz I myself felt very worry every time I step foot into JB....it is my own soil so it's just ridiculous......I do not have that worry in other city like Seremban, KL or Ipoh though

  12. #52

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    I dont think many Singaporeans hate Malaysia. We also would prefer a safe and orderly JB so that we can enjoy good food, cheap petrol, nice shopping and all the good stuff JB offers.

    Just because crime is not reported or hasn't happened to me doesnt mean crime doesnt exist. I'm not going to wait till i get beaten up or robbed and then agree/disagree with you whether JB is a safe place. Rumours may be all I've got but there is no smoke without fire.

    Till JB cleans up its filth, she is not earning a single dollar from this singaporean (me).

  13. #53

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn
    please remove tires when parked in JB, this will avoid thefts

    release all the tyre air is good enough to prevent

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    Quote Originally Posted by topster
    I dont think many Singaporeans hate Malaysia. We also would prefer a safe and orderly JB so that we can enjoy good food, cheap petrol, nice shopping and all the good stuff JB offers.

    Just because crime is not reported or hasn't happened to me doesnt mean crime doesnt exist. I'm not going to wait till i get beaten up or robbed and then agree/disagree with you whether JB is a safe place. Rumours may be all I've got but there is no smoke without fire.

    Till JB cleans up its filth, she is not earning a single dollar from this singaporean (me).
    Thanks for contributing. Although it might take sometimes, maybe a long time before you will visit JB again. Haha....

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,822

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
    Pls lah.....JB crime is all over the Straits Times every now and then...it was also all over Msian paper like NST, Nanyang and Sinchew, what is there to proof? If a national News Paper like Straits Times still couldn't get the fact right, you think those Umno Youth people will shut up and sit silent?

    I am not bashing Msian too as I am also one, .....what I want to say is JB is just ridiculously managed by a bunch of jokers......they spend so much time playing golf, kaopeh about the water, the bridge and the sand but never bother a tiny bit of security.....to be honous, who want to **** in their backyard? Most crime are commited by foreigner I am sure, Johorian themselve are suffering since they have to worry about their own family safety every day and night......chinese we said "????", business and reputation greatly affected by all these nagative things Protitute, transversive, drug addict, burglar, thief, swindler, rapist, car jacker, bookie, ah long you name it Singapore has it but I don't think we need a poll to vote which site can better control...

    Given the proximity to Sg, JB has all the factors to be Msia no.1 if not the richest City and State but where do they stand today? It's a fact that SGD and Sporean buying power is strong.....I am just not happy at the way it is being run in JB becoz I myself felt very worry every time I step foot into JB....it is my own soil so it's just ridiculous......I do not have that worry in other city like Seremban, KL or Ipoh though
    That is a little more clear cut for most of us to understand. You are right JB is run by a bunch of jokers. That is quite true to the fact. Playing golf has some true facts too....haha

  16. #56

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    To pro image.... I wont go on as it will just be perceived as a bashing session. I have made stated the facts but you have cleverly deflected each one of them..

    Just for your information, I have not heard of any friend who got his or her car stolen, her handbag snatched, nor a whole container disappearing from PSA in the last 3 years in SINGAPORE.

    For the police.... well I might have forgotten to add that I was not speeding and please logically Im in the middle of no where on the NE highway, I am stopped by a police roadblock and do you expect me to argue with the guy whom I know stopped me for the sole purpose of obtaining kopi money from me? Call me chicken but Im not stupid.

    And in case I didnt add too. I was not carrying my passport with me but only my IC during that incident in KL. I could have chosen to either follow the cops back as a "suspected illegal immigrant" or settle.

    The point I am trying to make is that there is a big problem in Malaysia and its not new... One incident that happened years ago was very much related to my family. My uncle's car was stolen and used in a robbery... guess what? My uncle got arrrested! yes... since it was his car and it was in a robbery so he was the prime suspect. Illogical? Stupid? Dont make sense? But well it happen! My grandfather was a rubber businessman, what happened was every inspector on the case wanted some "gift" from my granddad to make sure my uncle was "treated well" during the "investigation". Finally after a period of a few months and loads of cash paid to various inspectors, my uncle was released without trial and the case was never solved.

    If we choose to behave like a camel, sticking our head into the sand wheever there is trouble then sad to say Malaysia will remain the slum it is now. By denying there is a problem and shooting everyone who brings it up.... you are just shooting yourself in the leg. Think about it.. Malaysia is so screwed up that you are coming here to work to earn SGD which is double the value of RM... makes you think why right???

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Punggol 21
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    I think you are missing my point here. As I mentioned, this is not a bashing session. Please don't make a mole out of a mountain. If I have a problem with Singaporeans, do you think I will be working here? Think about it. I would always love to see and hear truth facts and not just say say.

    Media have some facts to it but not all are clear cut.

    My sentence was not clear cut. This is what happend when media people do not write cleary.

    When I say "HOW TRUE FATS LAMBS SINGAPOREANS, I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR A LITTLE MORE OPINIONS" means I am not convinced all Singaporeans are FAT LAMBS. So that is why I would like to hear a little more facts and opinions about it. By the way, I am not the one who commented Singaporeans are FAT LAMBS. Nothing to be green eyed about it. I have my fair share of FAT LAMBS already.
    i may have misunderstood you, I apologize. I am glad you're not in the media, or are you?.
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

  18. #58
    blacklumix
    Guests

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    I think... just drive lahh. BUT!! keep ur car in view.. But if you cant. Park in well lit areas. Open air carparks Not basement ones. AND.... turn ur steering wheel towards one direction and park in head in. HAHA. sigh. JB AH JB

  19. #59
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    Quote Originally Posted by blacklumix
    sigh. JB AH JB
    JB.....if pronounce as Jamban, in malay it means "loo"......so you can't live, and can't live without

  20. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Punggol 21
    Posts
    967

    Default Re: Is it safe to drive to JB?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    I know this kinda of comment will come sooner or later. If not for MONETARY reasons, I would not stay in Singapore lar. No where in the world there is a thing call comfort zone. Safety wise....well a little better off as after all it's a small dot. Staying in Singapore comfortably? Not really. I have a house in JB and KL as well. Over here it's all about making money only. Nothing much to look forward too.
    Obviously, everyone knows I am a Malaysian lar. That is pretty obvious. I do not want to go into a debate about staying here and there. And if you read carefully, I am in no way bashing up Singaporeans. Personally, the medias are over hyping (if not who will buy and read newspaper). I am from a media myself lar.
    I congratulate you in earning so much money in Singapore and even affording 2 houses back in your country. I am glad to hear there is nothing else for you here in SG except making your $, hope this does not disappoint any SG friends that you met a long the way..

    I understand that you are proud of your country, but so am I. I'm not into bashing either so we are in agreement for one thing.

    btw, half of my family are Malaysians.

    ..and yes , peace to you too.
    I lup SG, but SG don't love me...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •