Thread: Do I hand carry my tripod or check in on Silk Air?

Default Do I hand carry my tripod or check in on Silk Air?

I was told some airlines have special requirements on tripod.

I am going to Phuket, do I store my tripod in suitcase or do I hand carry
    in my backpack?

Thank you for your advice.

Default Re: Do I hand carry my tripod or check in on Silk Air?

Quote Originally Posted by dRebelXT
    I was told some airlines have special requirements on tripod.

I am going to Phuket, do I store my tripod in suitcase or do I hand carry
    in my backpack?

Thank you for your advice.
    I suggest you hand carry if it's not too heavy.

I've put my tripod in the luggage before I reach Sydney, and once I collected my luggage, the security stopped me immediately, bring me to a corner and question if I've brought a bazooka into Aussie land!

No joke, this is real life experience!
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

if u decide to hand carry, pray hard they do not measure your tripod length and deemed it too long to carry it on board

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo

I've put my tripod in the luggage before I reach Sydney, and once I collected my luggage, the security stopped me immediately, bring me to a corner and question if I've brought a bazooka into Aussie land!

The Airport Police asked me what was in the 'long black bag' I was carrying. I said, "Camera tripod. U want to check?" and was going to unzip it in 1 swift stroke when the guy stopped me quickly and said, "Ok, ok. Its alright."

Reached Narita and was waiting at the Red/Green customs declaration lane when this Customs officer walked over, with his nice golden brown doggy with a wagging bushy tail and sniffed around me.

I guess its time manufacturers do something abt tripods. Like putting a sign, "THIS IS NOT A WEAPON AND CANNOT BE MODIFIED TO BE ONE."
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

no point, best would be that they make a transparent carrying bag for the tripods so that they can tell straight away.

I've hand carry mine when I check in on Jetstar Asia when I went HK recently, no problem.

normally, i will handcarry the tripod....u never know what the pple who do the transporting of luggage will do to it....

Wink Re: Do I hand carry my tripod or check in on Silk Air?

I went to Hong Kong last week, and no problems going through the airport security. No questions asked, coz u gotta put everything thru the scanner anyway lah. (Twice I might add.)

Regardless of airline, checks take place before walking thru immigration. Similarly, no problem in Hong Kong.

The Qantas counter staff saw my 055 and requested that I check it in. He produced a huge plastic bag big enough to contain a large suitcase and naturally the 055 is only a fraction of the volume. So ithe excess was rolled around it and thus it had lots of plastic padded all around it and got tagged as a separate baggage item.

I would say don't worry so much - baggage loaders tend to be a bit more careful with objects that they can see (most people recognize photographic gear) and won't toss them around like they would your typical nondescript box or suitcase.

If your tripod is small enough to be strapped to your backpack, then you can try that. I've managed to bring my 055 aboard the airplane as hand-carry luggage too, so it really depends on your luck, your hand-carry allowance as well as the airline you fly with.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo

I have no problem hand carry from SG to melbourne but when come back from melbourne I have to check in and not allow to hand carry. The staff said I can use it hit pp head Dangerous item they said

I think I will strap it outside my backpack. It's a lot easier than suitcase in
    case the security wants to check it.

I bring my monopod on flight all the time, so far no problem.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

It's very grey thing and varies from carrier to carrier, the best is show it to the check in counter....if they say OK...then hand carry, if not just check in together with baggage

In the transit normally they just do random check....make sure your tripod have no sharp end especilly the foot....they have a right to instruct you to check in...by then too troubsome liao.....And the problem with check in is sometime your tripod might return in 2 pieces....you are at the mercy of the baggage handler

ask them if they are prepared to compensate you $1k should the tripod be damaged..

i usually give my monopod to my grandma to use as walking stick on board flights..
    eat. drink. shoot

Pack it with your check-in luggage. I've done this so many times. Never been stopped.

check in? doyou know how they load the bags? they practically just throw everything around you know.. and if your tripod ends up at the bottom of the bags.. pray hard it is tough enough and I think it'll be wiser to remove the head before checking in.. else you'll might end up with the tripod w/o head. Or maybe a bipod or monopod..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

My friend has checked in a complete assembled mountain bike wrapped only in packing plastic (to prevent the loose bits moving around) and checked it in like that.

It arrived unscathed on the other end.

So far, I've checked in my tripod in a tripod bag twice - to HK (Valuair) and Tokyo (Northwest). They came out ok. Of cos I took out the head and wrapped the tripod in bubble wrap and clothes for some padding before putting into the bag.

At Narita Airport, however, I was stopped by a custom officer at the green lane who asked me what's in the tripod bag. Had to take out the tripod, unwrapped the bubble wrap and explained what the tripod was for. This guy really scrutinised it from top to bottom and asked me questions like am I a photographer, what was I doing in Japan, how long I had the tripod and whether I had put anything INSIDE the tripod. At the last question, I was like 'huh?', then it dawned upon me that he's suspecting I was smuggling something Well, he let me go after that.

I think if checking in tripod, put it in a normal looking check-in luggage to avoid trouble. Mine is unfortunately too long to fit in.

I usually left in hard cover luggage several times.