Thread: qwik query on sharpening...

Default qwik query on sharpening...

hi all, read the canon 350 manual and it said that in-camera sharpening is better than external sharpening tools...so should one increase the sharpening parameter in the cam or just use PS or other software?

Default Re: qwik query on sharpening...

Quote Originally Posted by euodow
    hi all, read the canon 350 manual and it said that in-camera sharpening is better than external sharpening tools...so should one increase the sharpening parameter in the cam or just use PS or other software?
    Why don't you try both and find out what _you_ like better?

I Still Think It's All About The Optics....Just My 0.011cents

Quote Originally Posted by devilsjaw
    I Still Think It's All About The Optics....Just My 0.011cents
    tkx

Software... u can't control the amt/area of sharpening in-camera. The camera tends to overcook it since it applies a uniform sharpening pass to the whole image.

Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    Software... u can't control the amt/area of sharpening in-camera. The camera tends to overcook it since it applies a uniform sharpening pass to the whole image.
    On the other hand, if you're working with JPEG compressed images, you also end up sharpening compression artefacts.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf
    On the other hand, if you're working with JPEG compressed images, you also end up sharpening compression artefacts.
    Aiyoh!

Cannot have yr cake and eat it!

Ok what you say is true, but the effect is usually negligible for high quality jpegs unless you wanna sharpen until the artifacts come out... or you want to open edit save open edit save till the artifacts come out.

One round of editing straight from the camera of a high quality jpeg won't degrade image quality that badly unless your camera is a real work of art, or you're just a real kok photoshopper. Or both. In which case I think the person should just look for a new hobby.

Else just shoot RAW loh.
    Last edited by solarii; 2nd June 2006 at 08:11 PM.