Thread: How to restore original color of a desaturated pix??

Default How to restore original color of a desaturated pix??

Hi all the cser,

if i desature a color photo, and i want to restore the original color a small portion of photo , how to do it ? ie, think this is pretty common for some of the pix in the wedding album. pls help !!

Default Re: How to restore original color of a desaturated pix??

i don't think it's really possible to restore something already desaturated unless you have the original file in colour. the best you can do is guess what colour is it and 'colour' it back in..

Do put in a tiny effort and look around a bit. I just posted this link yesterday. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=199692

And it is only 6 posts below this.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by MuthuCurry
    Hi all the cser,

if i desature a color photo, and i want to restore the original color a small portion of photo , how to do it ? ie, think this is pretty common for some of the pix in the wedding album. pls help !!
    There are of course a few ways of doing this but one of the easiest is to use the "history brush" to recolor those portions of the desaturated color photo within the same session.

Blog Entries

control Z for PC
    command Z for mac

u all haven answer the question also...

Hi all the cser,

Your question is not actually not very clear.

Do you mean

1) You only have a desaturated picture at hand and you want to restore the original colours of a small portion?
    or
    2) post-process a colour picture so that you have only a small portion of the photo having the original colour with the rest desaturated?
    or
    3) You are in the midst of post-processing and you've already desaturated the whole picture in an earlier step and now you want to restore the original colours of a small portion?

For 1, I think it's no longer possible because the colour information have been lost forever.

For 2 & 3, use your lasso/magic wand/colour range to select/isolate the small portion which you want to retain/restore the orginal colour. Then :

a) For 2, inverse select and the desaturate the rest of the picture (alternatively, select the rest of the picture directly if it's easier to do so and then desaturate the selected areas).

b) For 3 where you've desaturated the whole picture in an earlier step, use history brush and brush it over the small selected part to restore it to its original colours (the unselected part which is now desaturated and would not be affected even if your brush goes over it).

Create new copy layers for application of post-processing steps if you want to avoid amending the original picture permanently.

Some experts probably have easier and better methods than my rudimentary steps.

Samples of my pictures posted b4 in Clunsnap using the steps above :

Hi There,

Do You Mean You Only Have The Desaturated Pic With No History No Nothing Just A Grayscale Image...

You Still Can Bring Back The Colors... To A Certain Extent... But It Takes A Hell Lots Of Patience And Layers....

Too Many Steps To Explain Here....

PM Me To Know More.... Cheers.... But Bear In Mind... It Can Only Bring Back The Colors To A certain Extent...
    Last edited by devilsjaw; 2nd June 2006 at 12:57 AM.

actually i did not specify the details, i am talking abt i got a normal color photo, then i desature it, and i just want to retain some color (just like the photo from Clockunder).

can someone expert tells more abt how to activate the history brush function ? Tx for thea all the advice!

Deregistered

actually i did not specify the details, i am talking abt i got a normal color photo, then i desature it, and i just want to retain some color (just like the photo from Clockunder).

can someone expert tells more abt how to activate the history brush function ? Tx for thea all the advice!
    This has been asked a lot of times.. perhaps if you do a search yourself on the forums, it'd might have given you the answers way before you started this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    This has been asked a lot of times.. perhaps if you do a search yourself on the forums, it'd might have given you the answers way before you started this thread...
    Why must die die do a search in the forum???

why don't just key function key F1 in photoshop? type "history brush" and enter, the answers will pop out instantly.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Why must die die do a search in the forum???

why don't just key function key F1 in photoshop? type "history brush" and enter, the answers will pop out instantly.
    Wooo... I learned something new today Thanks CL!

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    control Z for PC
    command Z for mac