View Poll Results: Should Bakeries and fast-food dumps away food?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 7.14%
  • No

24 85.71%
  • Sell them to adam

2 7.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Bakeries and fast-food dumps away food?

Default Should Bakeries and fast-food dumps away food?

3 big trash bags full of bread being dumped outside the shop. What a waste! There are so many people starving out there

I believe at least one of those picking up buns from the trash bags is a Regular, the rest probably is just a passerby.

Cos he is well prepared, with trolley to take the buns away. But each trash bag can easily contain over 50 buns, why the old man need so many buns? Want to sell them away next day? or for own consumption?

Actually there was a huge outcries in the ST forum on dumping away food by bakeries and fast-food restaurants sometimes ago. and there was a similar thread over here

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showt...hreadid=342659

What do you think?

The bakeries cannot afford to sell the buns cheaper after certain hours, cos it will spoil the market and the customers may wait until the price drop then buy. (prevent the supply from exceeding demand.)

The bakeries cannot let the staff to bring back the buns cos the staff may want to take this advantage and make more buns towards the end of the day, so that they can bring back more buns.

The bakeries cannnot keep the buns till next day becos they are not fresh anymore, but unlike fast food, buns are something that can be kept for a few days and still edible, therefore those buns are still fit to be donated.
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

it was on the news. some will be collected by those community chest. but bread talk don't give left over food to communicty chest, they give flash one in the morning.

Originally posted by ninelives
    it was on the news. some will be collected by those community chest. but bread talk don't give left over food to communicty chest, they give flash one in the morning.
    hmm...whether they gives fresh one or leftover one....but as long as edlible food being thrown away is a wastage already.

Speaking of waste, what about army camps that throw away a few swillhouses full of unserved food not just every night, but after every single meal?

Do animals eat buns? Extra food can be donated to the zoo. To give unfresh buns to the community chest is not very humane. I think Bread Talk is doing the right thing by donating only fresh buns.

In other countries, there are agencies that collect waste food.

If you think this kind of wastage is bad. You should see what is happening on an industrial scale. Millions of tons of rice, coffee are incinerated on purpose to control prices.

Actually if you think deeper, actions like these may seem wasteful but they protect third world countries from losing business. By maintaining a certain price, they are able to sustain their workforce.

We live in a weird world. Countries destroying bumper crops harvest and others are having famines and droughts.

Originally posted by Sausage
    Speaking of waste, what about army camps that throw away a few swillhouses full of unserved food not just every night, but after every single meal?
    Is the situation still so bad now after they got the catered food? One of the reasons for the change to more expensive but tastier cookhouse meals was to reduce wastage.

Originally posted by maddog
    Do animals eat buns? Extra food can be donated to the zoo. To give unfresh buns to the community chest is not very humane. I think Bread Talk is doing the right thing by donating only fresh buns.

In other countries, there are agencies that collect waste food.

If you think this kind of wastage is bad. You should see what is happening on an industrial scale. Millions of tons of rice, coffee are incinerated on purpose to control prices.

Actually if you think deeper, actions like these may seem wasteful but they protect third world countries from losing business. By maintaining a certain price, they are able to sustain their workforce.
    I think maybe it's a good idea to have an agency here that collects waste food. That might work, since there are quite a number of fastfood restaurants here. At least that's much better than throwing food away.

hotels food are also being thrown away

most cooked food will go bad easily......but buns will not.....i believe some of u also buy buns for your next day breakfast right? somemore breadtalk bake their buns almost thru out the whole day, so the buns that were being thrown away should be less than half a day old....even fresher than the Sunshine white bread that u purchase in supermarket....

Originally posted by Sausage
    oh those are not considered wastage... they serve expired (or next day expire) food in army camps anyway...
    Yngwie J. Malmsteen - "...I've never considered myself a fast guitar player..."

Breadtalk is stubborn man.. so many rivals give away their fd. Its free advertising yet they are so stubborn .. i mean wts the pt of throwing away the fd and not letting the "less fortunate" to eat.. its a very sad case of a singaporean business man (breadtalk) in
    motherland to have such a guy..

they think their pricing will be affected
    they think their reputation will be affected
    they think thhey are smart

dumbos.

Break tok is actualli set up by some taiwanese ah sia.. after building their first branch in sg, they sold their business and franchisee to local bread manics.. and thereafter.. business bloom which was actualli supported by losta dumb ass who thinks tt their cakes and breads are exotic.. which were jus some plain flour, eggs and butters.. maybe few rasins to enhance them...

oops mistake

their bread is actually for "showcase" doesnt taste great

their mooncakes

huh? sell them to adam to feed all his kids?

I just think it's a waste to throw away ANY food.

life's like this. farmers rather let the crops rot than sell at below cost. cos sometimes when they do charity they themselves will starve.
    on the other hand, go to tanglin mall at about 8+pm, u will see this curious phenomenon of ppl hangin on to the their trays of pastries etc waiting for the clock, becos that shop charges half price after 8+ or 9pm. I am not too sure if the shop is still there or not...
    well business practices is not for u to criticise. they have no need for social conscience, as long it's not illegal, why shd they care?
    u can always rally outside the bread talk and protest
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Originally posted by denizenx

u can always rally outside the bread talk and protest

some pple tried protest against microsoft before...and see who approached him??

(no idea who is the photographer, taken during Microsoft WinXP launch at Orchard Road)

Originally posted by Wai

some pple tried protest against microsoft before...and see who approached him??

(no idea who is the photographer, taken during Microsoft WinXP launch at Orchard Road)
    i saw that before.

Hmm, do u think the police know what is Linux ?? I think he was asking " wat is linux eh?? ooh os eh?? good or not eh?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast