Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power of Gaffered

Default Re: power of Gaffered

Quote Originally Posted by yumyum
    what is actually Gaffered tape and the usage n how would it help our dslr?
    Gaffer's tape as the name implies is used by the gaffers in the film industry. It is a multipurpose tape used for just about everything on a movie set. The cameraman and the focus pullers also use them to label their film and mark the lenses so that they know certain prefocused distances for certain shots. For those who don't know, in the film industry, focus is determined by measuring the distance from the camera to the subject and the focus is set according to the distance markers on the lens barrel. That's why a tape measure is a very essential tool for a cameraman.

Photographers also find it useful from attaching gels to a light to taping cords down so people don't trip over them. It can also be used to attach filters(the cokin type or the Tiffen Series 9 type filters) to lenses. There are many other uses for gaffer's tape in the studio and on location.

Also for theatre, the coloured tapes are used to mark certain points on a stage so the actor/dancers know their positions so the lighting designers can set their lighting.

As far as helping a DSLR, well, personally I don't find anything to be gained by covering a body or lens, other than asthetic "value".

Over time the tape will leave a residue and you will have one hell of a time trying to remove the gunk of your lens and/or body. Just like plastic, over time it will deteriorate.

Just my $0.02.

Quote Originally Posted by shobey
    Is it possible to buy Gaffer tape in Singapore? I'm looking for black gaffer.
    I tried cathay and TCW but they don't carry any.

Thanks
    Try this fella :

Gaffer Tape MO
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by shobey
    Is it possible to buy Gaffer tape in Singapore? I'm looking for black gaffer.
    I tried cathay and TCW but they don't carry any.

Thanks
    Have you tried RS components?
    http://www.rssingapore.com/cgi-bin/b...sgie&Nr=avl:sg
    Last edited by smtan24; 2nd June 2006 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper
    Gaffer's tape as the name implies is used by the gaffers in the film industry. It is a multipurpose tape used for just about everything on a movie set. The cameraman and the focus pullers also use them to label their film and mark the lenses so that they know certain prefocused distances for certain shots. For those who don't know, in the film industry, focus is determined by measuring the distance from the camera to the subject and the focus is set according to the distance markers on the lens barrel. That's why a tape measure is a very essential tool for a cameraman.

Photographers also find it useful from attaching gels to a light to taping cords down so people don't trip over them. It can also be used to attach filters(the cokin type or the Tiffen Series 9 type filters) to lenses. There are many other uses for gaffer's tape in the studio and on location.

Also for theatre, the coloured tapes are used to mark certain points on a stage so the actor/dancers know their positions so the lighting designers can set their lighting.

As far as helping a DSLR, well, personally I don't find anything to be gained by covering a body or lens, other than asthetic "value".

Over time the tape will leave a residue and you will have one hell of a time trying to remove the gunk of your lens and/or body. Just like plastic, over time it will deteriorate.

Just my $0.02.
    I tot these days, movie cam as well as TV cam have got AF, so no more cumbersome measuring tape and gaffer taper all over the shop. Unless they are still using Leica lenses and Carl Zeiss or whatever grandfather technology.....
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

When I was working in a photo studio in the United States, gaffer tape is used as "duct tape" for securing cables to light stands, mark lighting positions and to prevent accidents from loose cables running on the floor. Because black gaffer tape is non-reflective compare to duct tape.

In a darkroom, it is used to seal light leakages from doors and windows, repair enlarger bellow and to mark easels positions. We even use gaffer tape to repair cracks on darkroom sink and trays.

Gaffer tape is never used on cameras there. BUT in Singapore, people used it very differently.
    Last edited by photobum; 2nd June 2006 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    Gaffer tape is never used on cameras. BUT in Singapore, people used it very differently.
    You got that right!

To an earlier qn: Are they expensive?

Yes they are, if you consider that it's just tape. I mean $40 for a roll of tape??

But if you need it, its worth the cost cos it really works as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    I tot these days, movie cam as well as TV cam have got AF, so no more cumbersome measuring tape and gaffer taper all over the shop. Unless they are still using Leica lenses and Carl Zeiss or whatever grandfather technology.....
    On the Arriflex and Panavsion 35mm and the 16mm movie cameras don't have autofocus, as far as I know those cameras still are manual focus. They are still using the "primitive" method of manual focus, or in your words "grandfather technology". Hey, but guess what they still use that technology today, you probably wouldn't know it but they have used this "grandfather technology" in some of the movies in the box office movies currently showing. Careful of what you say about things you have absolutely no idea about. You have obviously no idea what it takes to have worked on a set using a 35mm film camera.

photobum: I forgot about those uses. I remember patching the compendium bellows on the 4x5, enlarger bellows, marking stand positions, easel positions. Not too sure about the sinks and trays, though, never had to do those kinds of repairs. Usually for those kinds of repairs, silicon did the job.

I have never come across a camera/lens being taped up like a mummy, until I came back to Singapore. But I guess people find different uses for certain things they were never indended for.

Yes, gaffer's tape is expensive, more expensive than your normal roll of duct tape, masking tape, Scotch tape.

hmm.. any comments from people who gaffer their equipment?
    Do you change it like urm, once ever xx months?

Quote Originally Posted by erik
    hmm.. any comments from people who gaffer their equipment?
    Do you change it like urm, once ever xx months?
    Yeah, I believe that they do have to change it every few months (3 - 5??) to prevent the tape from leaving residue after too long a time.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Unless they are still using Leica lenses and Carl Zeiss or whatever grandfather technology.....
    Wat a greatest joke - Leica and Carl Zeiss lens are grandfather technology! Haha...

i saw some gaffered cameras, imo, they look like hot model with band aid on the face.

Have you used a manual SLR and do you know how it works? Do you realise what you've just said?

Quote Originally Posted by G-man
    Have you used a manual SLR and do you know how it works? Do you realise what you've just said?
    Do you realise you've just dug up an old thread just to blast sb?
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar
    Do you realise you've just dug up an old thread just to blast sb?
    Oops, my bad. Paiseh paiseh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12