Thread: Adding border on photos to send for printing

Default Adding border on photos to send for printing

Hi,

I am thinking of adding border to my photos before I send them for printing (4R - ratio 2:3). My files are all in 2:3 ratio and would like to add about 100 pixels for the border where the final pixel is not 2:3 anymore. eg 1200 x 1800 with 100 pixels more for border, it will become 1300 x 1900 which is not 2:3 anymore.

Is there anyway I can do it by maintaining the ratio with the border added on? I know the printer can add for me the white border but I would like to type something on the border so I need to do it by myself.

Thanks in advance!

Regards
    CM

Default Re: Adding border on photos to send for printing

just add the pixels that is enough to cover for yr pic to be in 3:2 format.

Quote Originally Posted by sumball
    Hi,

I am thinking of adding border to my photos before I send them for printing (4R - ratio 2:3). My files are all in 2:3 ratio and would like to add about 100 pixels for the border where the final pixel is not 2:3 anymore. eg 1200 x 1800 with 100 pixels more for border, it will become 1300 x 1900 which is not 2:3 anymore.

Is there anyway I can do it by maintaining the ratio with the border added on? I know the printer can add for me the white border but I would like to type something on the border so I need to do it by myself.

Thanks in advance!

Regards
    CM
    For 1200 x 1800 print size, after adding 100 pix of border, you image area is 1000 x 1600, no more 2:3.

you want to have 1200 x 1800 print size, and the image as in 2:3, the border wouldn't be four sides balance.

For maintaning the image area in 2:3, (the width and height of borders won't be the same)
    just open the file,
    ctrl J,
    transform, key 85%, set.
    set background color same as border color,
    selected all on background layer and ctrl X.
    flatten it.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Regards
    CM
    Apparently, I was told that if we want to print photos with borders, it is better to get the photo labs to do it. Otherwise the borders may not be centralised and square with the edges. Is this true? has someone done this before?
    My Webspace
    ##See and listen with your heart, for beauty will reveal thyself##

Quote Originally Posted by eng_keow
    Apparently, I was told that if we want to print photos with borders, it is better to get the photo labs to do it. Otherwise the borders may not be centralised and square with the edges. Is this true? has someone done this before?
    Yes, that's true, but as long your border is thick enough, like more than inch, it wouldn't be that noticeable, as for the "not square with the edges", I think is using the wrong function on PS, try my method above or

open file
    select all (ctrl A),
    use stroke, thicknees of border, loaction set at "inside"

Hope this help

This is indeed very helpful, shall go and try it out.

Yup, earsier way is to get the lab to add the border for me but I dun want simply a border but I would like to have some wordings on the border to record the details, hence I gotta do it manually.

Will follow catchlight's method and try it out tonight.

Thanks for the prompt reply catchlights!

Hi Catchlights,

Where should I key in the 85%? for the width or height?

I realise when i type in 85%, the upper layer will shrink...

Hi Catchlights,

Where should I key in the 85%? for the width or height?

I realise when i type in 85%, the upper layer will shrink...
    the width and height should be the same, just click on the chain icon between the width and height, you can try other thickness borders by using different percentage.

Hope this help.

Sure it helps. Thanks. Let u know the result tomolo.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Yes, that's true, but as long your border is thick enough, like more than inch, it wouldn't be that noticeable, as for the "not square with the edges", I think is using the wrong function on PS, try my method above or

open file
    select all (ctrl A),
    use stroke, thicknees of border, loaction set at "inside"

Hope this help
    The photo printers in shops can make cutting errors of upto 3mm (so if you have a white and then a black border like the one shown below. You will get an uneven border. When I printed this pic one ofthe long borders was thicker than the other. The printers suggested that I use white borders only as these are less noticeable w.r.t differences in thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    the width and height should be the same, just click on the chain icon between the width and height, you can try other thickness borders by using different percentage.

Hope this help.
    If you go into Image and canvas size you can change image dimensions. By increasing or decreasing both dimensions (height and width) by the same percentage you can maintain the aspect ratio. I usually use 115% on both dimensions and put in a white/white & black border.

If you are planning to do this task on a number of photos or do it regularly, you might want to program an action. Otherwise it gets painfully tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by nmk
    If you go into Image and canvas size you can change image dimensions. By increasing or decreasing both dimensions (height and width) by the same percentage you can maintain the aspect ratio. I usually use 115% on both dimensions and put in a white/white & black border.

If you are planning to do this task on a number of photos or do it regularly, you might want to program an action. Otherwise it gets painfully tedious.
    Yes, this method works too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nmk
    nmk - although you still maintain the 3:2 ratio, your border would not be even in this case.

cm - i usually just leave it the printers to do. i have noticed that even though i print 1800x1200 pictures without asking for border, there is still have a very small degree of cropping the final print... so if you were to include your own "digital border", the cropping would leave your borders uneven - this would be an issue if you are placing your signature in the border.

further issues, would include colour correction by the printer (such that your "digital border" might not be white anymore - which can be corrected by monitor calibration and proper ICC profiles), and the time and effort to batch process borders to all your pics (which can be corrected by diverting some of my CS surfing resources on my PC)!!

suggestion - do a test print with them and ask them how to get around any issues, diamensions, fit/fill, etc.