Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MAC vs PC

Default Re: MAC vs PC

yeah i've been going to mac shops and messing with other macs. thot i either get a G5 or mac mini. what about the windows os on the new intel macs? anyone here uses that? is it stable? few of my friends have gotten mac book pros and i have to say i'm pretty jealous with what their macbooks can do compared to my laggy PC.

Quote Originally Posted by nuglybird
    few of my friends have gotten mac book pros and i have to say i'm pretty jealous with what their macbooks can do compared to my laggy PC.
    besides looking pretty, what can their macbooks do that your PC cant?

Some have mentioned running windows in their Intel-based mac machines.
    Just so you should know before getting all excited is, it's not stable (search google) and may not run your window applications properly.
    Also, why pay so much money to buy a mac so that you can run windows is beyond me - at the same price (or less) you can buy more superior hardware
    Last edited by michhy; 1st June 2006 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    Errr....,

Working with single button mouse .

Regards,
    Arto.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Errr....,

Working with single button mouse .

Regards,
    Arto.
    I think the question here is like comparing cars.. all cars can bring you from point A to B.. but when you are driving a more expensive car, it's different..

For Mac, all applications are integrated.. you just pull the icon from one folder to another or just drop it in application and it started to run.. you can move application btw mac without installation as well..
    The best thing about mac is that the speed remains the same.. even after long usage or multiple application installation... I don't see this in XP... the XP OS seem to slow down after the installation..

Get one and use it and if you relly don't like MAC, install XP on the HW and run WinXP..

Apart from getting used to single button, If I have money, will go for the
    duo core Macs. Best of both worlds. But I would use my own display cos
    the 20" mac is even smaller then what I am using now.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

I have no qualms about my current PC. It has served me well.

I dont think getting a MAC or a PC can really boost your overall work performance. I've used both and I really cant tell any difference at all. Its all a matter of your needs vs what you feel is 'good' for you. However, if you have a specific need, both has its pros and cons.

Get either one and enjoy your machine which it still lasts. Hope that helps. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by michhy
    all the things PC users can only dream of...

What else may be you like to look at this

PC & APPLE

Quote Originally Posted by singscott
    What else may be you like to look at this

PC & APPLE

yeah i saw that ad and it was a booster to my $$ going towards the mac. plus this http://apple.com.sg/switch/whyswitch/ but the $$ however is kinda low and needs to get the best of what it can and only a PC suits the budget or a mac mini which is sooo small. G5 for a mac..nothing lower. it's just how a mac runs that makes it great. you can drop your items onto the icon. eject your thumbdrive w/o much hassle. but it can't do "things" heehee. do macs really NEVER crash or get viruses? tt's good if they NEVER do..

mac does what linux can. it is also a good developing platform. i does all sorts of programming on it using gcc, emacs, or sometimes xcode.
    i do graphics and photographics work too. i need both the terminal and the GUI enviroment. hence Mac OS X. its the OS, not the machine that matters. its a very intuitive environment.

Quote Originally Posted by nuglybird
    do macs really NEVER crash or get viruses? tt's good if they NEVER do..
    In my 4 years, mac crashes occasionally when i run OfficeX (by Microsoft, who else?). Now i have switch to LaTEX and Pages, i have only use OfficeX to open MS docs for READING. Yes there are some virus, but not as contagious and exploiting as windows variants. But if i'm a mac user, i wouldnt waste my time on coding virus since there are more serious work to do now on the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by leews2001
    mac does what linux can. it is also a good developing platform. i does all sorts of programming on it using gcc, emacs, or sometimes xcode.
    i do graphics and photographics work too. i need both the terminal and the GUI enviroment. hence Mac OS X. its the OS, not the machine that matters. its a very intuitive environment.

In my 4 years, mac crashes occasionally when i run OfficeX (by Microsoft, who else?). Now i have switch to LaTEX and Pages, i have only use OfficeX to open MS docs for READING. Yes there are some virus, but not as contagious and exploiting as windows variants. But if i'm a mac user, i wouldnt waste my time on coding virus since there are more serious work to do now on the machine.
    Sigh. GCC not on PC? Emacs not on PCs? PC users can download and use them for free (VI, Vim, etc), as well as using Eclipse or even the free (legally) of VS Express, which many have rated it the best general IDE around.

LaTEX? You are asking people to use LaTEX?!?

OTOH, try playing Oblivion, and other games... You can't, or at least not for a while. Many games don't appear on Macs anymore and even if they do, almost all are quite a few months late.

As for virus, and spyware, I've used machine that has no protection for years and still no problem. Just like you don't go to dark alleys in cities. Why would anyone want to write viruses onto a platform that has its worldwide market share less than Singapore's GST?
    Last edited by Watcher; 2nd June 2006 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    Sigh. GCC not on PC? Emacs not on PCs? PC users can download and use them for free (VI, Vim, etc), as well as using Eclipse or even the free (legally) of VS Express, which many have rated it the best general IDE around.

LaTEX? You are asking people to use LaTEX?!?

OTOH, try playing Oblivion, and other games... You can't, or at least not for a while. Many games don't appear on Macs anymore and even if they do, almost all are quite a few months late.

As for virus, and spyware, I've used machine that has no protection for years and still no problem. Just like you don't go to dark alleys in cities. Why would anyone want to write viruses onto a platform that has its worldwide market share less than Singapore's GST?
    i believe your arguments will be stronger if you sounded less jealous. i am referring to the last sentence/question of course

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs
    i believe your arguments will be stronger if you sounded less jealous. i am referring to the last sentence/question of course
    I'm hardly jealous, having to have the chance to use Macs since the mid 90s. Fact is a fact. Look up what is the market share of Macs. Virus needs large number to either be effective or as a bragging rights. When your market share is low, the target is meaningless.

Why would I want to be jealous of Macs? What do they have that I should be jealous about? Inability to play most games (eg Oblivion, etc)? As an IT professional, I judge things more than pretty looking stuff.
    Last edited by Watcher; 2nd June 2006 at 05:04 PM.

As an IT professional, I judge things more than pretty looking stuff.

I used both Mac and PC for work and home usage respectively and I try to look at things objectively.

My needs are simple:

- Good enough for Photoshop and RAW conversion
    - Good price/performance ratio

OS-wised, IMO I prefer what Windows is offering over the Mac OSX. There is better compatibility/support for it admittingly and there is none of my needs which can't be satisfied by Windows XP.

Coming to price, I can get a pretty good PC for much less with equivalent or even better hardware than it's Mac counterpart.

My choice is obvious. If you look beyond Mac's aesthetics and "cool" factor(grins!), the PC win hands down. They always say that buying Mac is buying a lifestyle. Ha! What kind of lifestyle are they talking about? You could rig a PC up to do the same thing if not better.

These are my views, you're entitled to yours too.

Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper
    Once you go MAC, you'll never go back.
    I didn't go back... I went forward to PCs, after waiting several years in vain for Apple's promised "modern" operating system which got delayed, redifined, delayed, and eventually scrapped. The classic MacOS was horrible (pretty looks, but extremely unreliable), and MacOS X came about 5-10 years too late. And while Apple put stumbling blocks in the way of alternate operating system developers, on the PC there was (and is) a big enough choice that one doesn't have to use Windows.

I'm hardly jealous, having to have the chance to use Macs since the mid 90s. Fact is a fact. Look up what is the market share of Macs. Virus needs large number to either be effective or as a bragging rights. When your market share is low, the target is meaningless.

Why would I want to be jealous of Macs? What do they have that I should be jealous about? Inability to play most games (eg Oblivion, etc)? As an IT professional, I judge things more than pretty looking stuff.
    i know you not jealous lah...just saying you sound jealous.

I'm a mac lover too. I use a PC in the office though - won't kill me. I use macs because:

1. Stable and intuitive OS. In my 4 years of using macs, I can count on my fingers how many times the OS has hung - and it has been stable whether it is Jaguar, Panther or Tiger. Just look at the pre-XP versions and you'll know what I mean.

2. Superbly well designed products (whether software or hardware). Have you tried starting a brand new mac before? Or setting up an Ipod? Super no need to use your brain man! Of course, there will always be the naysayers who think that such mummy-friendly features are useless.

3. V minimal chance of virus attacks. So what if market share is low? I appreciate not getting trojan-ed and worm-ed.

To be balanced - PCs offer a much wider range of software, provide compatibility with most corporate IT systems, Windows XP has made great advances and a Dell can be bought at an absurdly low price (but even then, a mac mini is not much more).

Drop the prices of Macs, and I will then say that it is no fight.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by leews2001
    What Caesium posted is close to what I mean. I've got servers on racks that looks like s**t but performs great with uptime of >1 year non-stop operation without restart or hang.

The computer is a tool for me. I use it to do work; not to look pretty or "lifestyle". I specifically despise those who promote RDF (Reality Distortion Field), marketing more than substance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast