Thread: Event/Wedding Videography: Copyright issues?

Question Event/Wedding Videography: Copyright issues?

When inserting audio tracks for a video you took of a wedding/event, how to include music tracks that will avoid trouble from a legal standpoint? How much would it cost to pay for royalties? I notice that a lot of people just simply rip music from CDs. Technically that's illegal, no? I guess if nobody complains, it should be fine. Or is it?

Or am I worrying too much?

Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Default Re: Event/Wedding Videography: Copyright issues?

Well, if a guest is from Compass maybe they will complain..

I think the hotel or banquet venue probably already have a Compass license. Check with the banquet manager if you are not sure.

compass.org.sg

You can try searching for free or royalty-free music.

Ah thanks.

What I really meant was shooting the video, then burning it onto DVD/VCD format, then passing the product to the client. How do local videographers tackle this issue?

(sorry if my question is not clear)

if u use it for commercial uses, it's illegal...

not sure if this is related, but my school IT club had to take down some videos from their website recently as they included the use of copyrighted music...
    eat. drink. shoot

Thanks for the input, man.

Was thinking of dabbling into videography, but this thing about inserting music tracks has always been a major concern for me. So am trying to seek out opinions if there are any cheap and/or easy ways to go about doing this, while legally covering my own rear-end.

Hmm. Seems like still photography is a LOT simpler in comparison!

you on mac? get garageband and compose something out of the loops maybe..

I know companies buy production music for use... though I'm not knowledgable about where to buy or how much it cost and other details.
    Last edited by alexj; 31st May 2006 at 09:54 AM.

usually ur clients would wan their fav music to be in the video... usually, its not a big issue if its for the couple and their families, unless they want to broadcast nationally the video, then, will hv big issue...

why not you ask the couple to buy the CD and pass to you, then the CD is their copyright and the video is their property.

I do video shooting and video editing training as a retirement job and I use legal music from www.bigbangfuzz.com It is a sort of rental scheme where they will sent you the legal music for your use without payment and when you use you pay.
    Alternatively you can buy legal music cd by cd but each one is rather costly, or pay and download from websites on a piece by piece basis.
    Few years back some wedding videographers received ligitation letters on use of illegal music.

Quote Originally Posted by Belle&Sebastain
    why not you ask the couple to buy the CD and pass to you, then the CD is their copyright and the video is their property.
    issue does not really go away - the couple has no rights to use the music in a slide show. as a photog you name is on the product - slide show - so you will be the first on compass talks to.

it is not a good answer - no solutions to the problem. Go royalty free music but be prepared to pay for it.