Thread: The Pilgrim

Default The Pilgrim

Was taken on my trip to the inlands of India. Feel free to comment. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by satya; 30th May 2006 at 11:09 AM.

Default Re: The Pilgrim

great idea but the whites - the light shaft - is overblown and does not isolate the subject effectively - the eye loses the subject. also the black not detailed enuff and it becomes just a dark mass.

Quote Originally Posted by espion
    great idea but the whites - the light shaft - is overblown and does not isolate the subject effectively - the eye loses the subject. also the black not detailed enuff and it becomes just a dark mass.
    By dark do you mean the foreground? the curve has deliberately been pulled down out so as to isolate the subject. i am trying to get the viewer to isolate the subject.

About eye losing the subject due to light.. i agree to an extent but my aim is to get the light to merge with the subject.. to show that his prayer brought down light from heaven

Quote Originally Posted by satya
    Was taken on my trip to the inlands of India. Feel free to comment. Thanks in advance
    This photo is actually very well shot already. But i feel that a longer exposure with a larger aperature for greater depth to further isolate the subject might do better. Also, contrary to what espion has mentioned, i feel the black areas namely the door frame might look a tad better if it was darker and less focused on. The darken front will add more significance to the main subject and engage your viewers to move into the photo through the door. I noticed a slight misalignment with the image to the frame. Taking a little trouble to measure it with the rule, (please pardon my judgement if i am wrong) during the time of exposure, your camera was slightly shifted to the right side of the intended axis. But other then that. Excellent work. Might want to try this in sepia tone too. I'm sure it'll look damn fine

Cheers
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim
    This photo is actually very well shot already. But i feel that a longer exposure with a larger aperature for greater depth to further isolate the subject might do better. Also, contrary to what espion has mentioned, i feel the black areas namely the door frame might look a tad better if it was darker and less focused on. The darken front will add more significance to the main subject and engage your viewers to move into the photo through the door. I noticed a slight misalignment with the image to the frame. Taking a little trouble to measure it with the rule, (please pardon my judgement if i am wrong) during the time of exposure, your camera was slightly shifted to the right side of the intended axis. But other then that. Excellent work. Might want to try this in sepia tone too. I'm sure it'll look damn fine

Cheers
    Chris
    Thanks for the comments yea.. now that you say i guess it was slightly shifted.. will try to keep that in mind.. and the framing as well.

i like this shot, i can't comment much on the technicality like others. but, like the framing of the shot.

just want to add to what I mean by the "black mass": the blacks do not give enuff details to make obvious it is a corridor, and thus do not serve to lead the eye. Rather it is flat and the 3D effect is lost. And by "details" I mean either tonal difference or other features so that the viewer knows where is in front and what is in the depth.

the blowing of highlights does not work for me definitely, the white mass doesn't form any strong image