Thread: Cross Developing

Mouse
    Guests

Default Cross Developing

hello all,

Just curious. Will there be deterioration of negative quality if cross-developing is performed? Take for example, developing Kodak film with Fuji C41, developing ilford 200 Color with Kodak C41; I think you get the picture.

Any views, opinions, knowledge?

Generally no, C41 is C41.

There might be minor differences but chances are you will find more differences from labs using slightly difference chemical concentrations, temperatures and timings. And more importantly, how your negs are printed.

Mouse
    Guests

Jed, but people (those old experienced chaps) from photo zine claims that it is virtually impossible to develop Agfa film using any other chemicals except that of Agfa. Is he bluffing me?

Then he goes on to claim that because of the difference in chemical composition within the different brand of films (eg, Kodak or Fuji) the C41 used to develop the negatives may react differently to these chemicals on the exposed film. How true???

Help??

I don't know anything about Agfa specifically.

Yes, films are indeed made differently. But C41 processes are designed the same. So if film A reacts a certain way with C41 because of its own chemical design, it will always react the same way as the C41 stays more or less the same at any lab, which is what I was saying above.

Like I said, you'll see more difference from variation in dilutions (for example lab's trying to cut costs), overused solutions (again, labs trying to cut costs) and printing which can make a huge difference.

Mouse
    Guests

Thanx Jed. That clears out a large cloud of confusion.

If memory don't fail me, cross processing usually means to process E-6 film in C-41 chemicals and vice versa. Other than that, no harm processing Fuji C41 in Kodak C41, etc.

Regards
    CK