Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast

Thread: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

I wasn't talking about filter lanes, I was asking whether you drop from 4th gear to 3rd gear when you want to slow down from a speed of 100km/h.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz
    if u drive a manual..maybe u can give this a try..
    u can glide through filter lanes without brakes by dropping gears..

but then its all abt personal feel..if u dun like dun try..

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    I wasn't talking about filter lanes, I was asking whether you drop from 4th gear to 3rd gear when you want to slow down from a speed of 100km/h.
    as i have always emphasized..different situations different approach..
    for straight roads at 100km/h brakes are suffice..but do remember to drop 1 gear if speed drops to 60~70..always ready for picking up..
    i usually change from 5th to 4th sometimes 3rd at speed around 70~80 for cutting thru bends..depends on ur approaching speed..

most cars peak torque are around 3500rpm - 4500rpm..and its most ideal to keep engine revs. in this range..not so for the fuel economy minded ones ..who usually change around 2000rpm-2500rpm..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Hmm... both the cars that drive regularly get peak torque at 2800rpm. But even with auto you can still stab/tap the accelerator to rev up the engine without increasing your speed. Useful when u want to overtake at speed or prevent acceleration lag (yes, even with peak torque at 2800rpm as claimed in the specs).

I guess the moral of the story is not just different situations different approach but different strokes for different folks too.

for f1 cars, parts are change for optimal performance..not because of lifespan over..
    Not true. The parts in F1 cars are designed for a single race only. That used to be the case even for the engine before the present 2 race/engine ruling.

Quote a caption from www.formula1.com:
    "The engine and transmission of a modern Formula One car are some of the most highly stressed pieces of machinery on the planet, and the competition to have the most power on the grid is still intense. Traditionally, the development of racing engines has always held to the dictum of the great automotive engineer Ferdinand Porsche that the perfect race car crosses the finish line in first place and then falls to pieces. Although this is no longer strictly true - regulations now require engines to last more than one race weekend - designing modern Formula One engines remains a balancing act between the power that can be extracted and the need for just enough durability."
    Last edited by Canew; 31st May 2006 at 11:06 AM.

as i have always emphasized..different situations different approach..
    for straight roads at 100km/h brakes are suffice..but do remember to drop 1 gear if speed drops to 60~70..always ready for picking up..
    i usually change from 5th to 4th sometimes 3rd at speed around 70~80 for cutting thru bends..depends on ur approaching speed..

most cars peak torque are around 3500rpm - 4500rpm..and its most ideal to keep engine revs. in this range..not so for the fuel economy minded ones ..who usually change around 2000rpm-2500rpm..
    I am not too sure what you are trying to say. But. You hold revs through throttle and matches it with the right gear and not the other way around keeping rev through gear. I guess its your situational way of driving again.

On contrary to your believe, in some cars shifting gears at the peak rpm actually helps with fuel consumption. Besides high revving VTEC engine, peak torque at 4500 is rather uncommon (seems like you are driving one, EG/EK?). Most cars I see its at 2800 thereabout.

For those who drive honda Vtec I think rpm need to go up to 4900 then vtec then kick in...Voooommmmmmm

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by JL1500k
    For those who drive honda Vtec I think rpm need to go up to 4900 then vtec then kick in...Voooommmmmmm
    honda vtec engines actually kicks in at 2 stage..~4000rpm & ~6000rpm

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by Denosha
    yes, even with peak torque at 2800rpm as claimed in the specs
    Quote Originally Posted by litefoot
    Most cars I see its at 2800 thereabout
    Enlighten me pls ... which model u're refering to

honda vtec engines actually kicks in at 2 stage..~4000rpm & ~6000rpm
    Which one you are talking about? EK3 VTi, SOHC VTEC? That's the only 3-stage I know, there isn't a 2 stage. Its deployed for economy rather than power. If my memory serves me right the two points are 2500 rpm and 4500 rpm, 2 cut in points in 3 stages. The DOHC B16a in EK4, EG6/9, if I remember correctly cuts in at 5600 rpm.

Enlighten me pls ... which model u're refering to
    Legacy GT is one of the peak torque at lower rpm. There are definitely more examples.

Hey, one of the cars I'm talking about is the Legacy GT. Peak torque at 2800rpm. Other one is a Beetle 2.0. Also peak torque at 2800rpm. The Musso my dad is getting soon hits max torque at 2250rpm (turbo diesel) so I think your claim that "most cars peak torque are around 3500rpm - 4500rpm" is flawed. Unless for some reason all the vehicles I've mentioned are exceptions. Heh.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by Denosha
    Hey, one of the cars I'm talking about is the Legacy GT. Peak torque at 2800rpm. Other one is a Beetle 2.0. Also peak torque at 2800rpm. The Musso my dad is getting soon hits max torque at 2250rpm (turbo diesel) so I think your claim that "most cars peak torque are around 3500rpm - 4500rpm" is flawed. Unless for some reason all the vehicles I've mentioned are exceptions. Heh.
    dun worry..no flaws here.."most" doesn't mean "all"..but you can always go check out..do some research how many percent of cars hit peak torque below 3000rpm??

Member/Tangshooter

Which one you are talking about? EK3 VTi, SOHC VTEC? That's the only 3-stage I know, there isn't a 2 stage. Its deployed for economy rather than power. If my memory serves me right the two points are 2500 rpm and 4500 rpm, 2 cut in points in 3 stages. The DOHC B16a in EK4, EG6/9, if I remember correctly cuts in at 5600 rpm.

we got an engineer here!

we got an engineer here!
    No, I am not. Need to know my car to maximize the drive. I used to own a DOHC VTEC Honda. Still one of the best drive I ever had.
    Last edited by litefoot; 31st May 2006 at 05:03 PM.

Member/Tangshooter

No, I am not. Need to know my car to maximize the drive. I used to own a DOHC VTEC Honda. Still one of the best drive I ever had.
    Agree!

dun worry..no flaws here.."most" doesn't mean "all"..but you can always go check out..do some research how many percent of cars hit peak torque below 3000rpm??
    Heh. The cars you're looking at and the cars I'm looking at are obviously quite different. Anyway, went to visit a few websites and it seems jap cars are usually around the range u mentioned while european cars like VW seem to be more around what I mentioned, especially the more powerful ones. Anyway, made a mistake on the Beetle 2.0 and Legacy GT. Max torque is at 2400rpm not 2800rpm.

I think if travel at 100km/hrs at less than 3000rpm is consider good fuel consumption for a car.

I've tried 150km/h at less than 3000rpm. Fuel gauge still go down like crazy. =^(

Totally agree with you. I really miss driving my previous Civic EK4. The extra kick you get when the rpm cross 5500rpm is just so shiok. With a bigger rim, I can just zoom through any corners with confidence, and blast away. The only problem is that the fuel level will drop very fast if you constantly 'open' the VTEC.

BTW, I'll drive MANUAL anytime, any car. I just hate driving auto, no feel at all.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Another thing to note, at oversea (at least in Europe and US), the majority of the cars are manual gear car, especially rental car, so if you intend to drive oversea and only know how to drive auto, then you'll have a problem there.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast