Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

Member/Tangshooter

Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot
    Wrong technique. You always use the brakes first. This is the most immediate and effective way to shave off speed. Engine brake is to assist the slowing down. Besides, at high speed you are stressing the enigne with lower gear by sending it to higher rpm as well as burning the clutch. Using the brake aggressively will only mean premature wear on the pads which is definitely cheaper to replace.
    Different situations different approach..
    but lowering gears ensure the engine revs. won't be dropping too much..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthunter
    Actually ABS will increase the braking distance when you do emergency braking. The function of ABS is to prevent wheel lock and keep it rolling because when the the wheels loose traction it will be hard to control (except for drift expert). When ABS kicking it will perform series of pulse to the brake caliper when the sensor detecting wheel lock to keep the wheel turning thus easier for driver to control the car.
    There are 4 channels or 2 channels ABS powered by electronic controlled pump. I can't find any reference for electronic only or mechanical only ABS, anyone can enlighten me?

For auto and manual car, both able to do engine break by down shifting. Manual or Auto doesn't make any advantage on cornering.
    I learn new things everyday!
    - ABS increases braking disatance!
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Do cars with ABS stop more quickly than cars without? ABS is designed to help the driver maintain control of the vehicle during emergency braking situations, not make the car stop more quickly. ABS may shorten stopping distances on wet or slippery roads and many systems will shorten stopping distances on dry roads. On very soft surfaces, such as loose gravel or unpacked snow, an ABS system may actually lengthen stopping distances. In wet or slippery conditions, you should still make sure you drive carefully, always keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front of you, and maintain a speed consistent with the road conditions.
    There is somethign disadvantage that car dealer never tell to the driver and I did experience it myself with ABS or without ABS.

Complete article can be found in : http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...absbrakes.html
    W204FL

On very soft surfaces, such as loose gravel or unpacked snow, an ABS system may actually lengthen stopping distances.
    there you go..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz
    Different situations different approach..
    but lowering gears ensure the engine revs. won't be dropping too much..
    That's what I am saying. You drop gear, your rpm goes up thus stressing the engine when the car is in higher speed. You may even hit the redline inducing the fuel cut on the rev limiter which is not too wise in an emergency.

Member/Tangshooter

That's what I am saying. You drop gear, your rpm goes up thus stressing the engine when the car is in higher speed. You may even hit the redline inducing the fuel cut on the rev limiter which is not too wise in an emergency.
    with the high rental cost u put in for owning a car in s'pore, u may probably not feel like driving tat way..may incur higher maintenance cost..

but trust me, cars life span in s'pore are definitely under utilized..and cars can withstand
    that kind of drive..wat for u drive swee swee then end scrapping the car..but i'm not so sure abt those made in thai ones..

the whole idea is to maintain the high engine revs. like wat the f1/wrc/gt racers did..gives better response..

with the high rental cost u put in for owning a car in s'pore, u may probably not feel like driving tat way..may incur higher maintenance cost..

but trust me, cars life span in s'pore are definitely under utilized..and cars can withstand
    that kind of drive..wat for u drive swee swee then end scrapping the car..but i'm not so sure abt those made in thai ones..

the whole idea is to maintain the high engine revs. like wat the f1/wrc/gt racers did..gives better response..
    No. I dun drive like a pussy.

I am talking about doing it the right way.

Member/Tangshooter

No. I dun drive like a pussy.

I am talking about doing it the right way.
    Right way?
    Different situations different approach...

vince123123
    Guests

Lol, he apparently didn't get what you were trying to say :P :P :P

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    there you go..

vince123123
    Guests

So if your car has 4 gears, you will drop to gear 3 even when you are going at 100km/h and wanting to slow down?

I salute you...

Right way?
    Different situations different approach...

Normally I will only use engine brake (drop to 2nd gear or 3th gear depend the curve how sharp) to make a turn and slow down when Approaching (drop from 5th gear to 4th gear or to 3rd gear) traffic light then use brake to stop.

Slowing apply the brake till speed drop to 70 or less then change to 4th gear for engine brake for my case.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    They rolled out the Class 3 Auto Restricted license already?

Hope my sister takes the Full Class 3 test instead of the Auto restricted one.
    Still can take manual

Wah the debate will going on. I sian already. But the response have been interesting.

that is partly true...
    but then you must remember taht F1 drivers change parts every race.. it is always a balance between performance and lifespan...

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    So if your car has 4 gears, you will drop to gear 3 even when you are going at 100km/h and wanting to slow down?

I salute you...
    He said its a "different" way for him.

Like I have said the brake is your "one step" (may not be the only step hor) slowing down which is the most efficient and effective way and its an all situation first step in slowing down. I just can't imagine slowing down by clutching in, drop gear, clutch out, brake... Well, it still slows down, so its not wrong I guess. I will throw in the hand brake yank for fudge factor.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by slaam
    that is partly true...
    but then you must remember taht F1 drivers change parts every race.. it is always a balance between performance and lifespan...
    for f1 cars, parts are change for optimal performance..not because of lifespan over..

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123

I salute you...
    if u drive a manual..maybe u can give this a try..
    u can glide through filter lanes without brakes by dropping gears..

but then its all abt personal feel..if u dun like dun try..

Member/Tangshooter

He said its a "different" way for him.

Like I have said the brake is your "one step" (may not be the only step hor) slowing down which is the most efficient and effective way and its an all situation first step in slowing down. I just can't imagine slowing down by clutching in, drop gear, clutch out, brake... Well, it still slows down, so its not wrong I guess. I will throw in the hand brake yank for fudge factor.
    from start i have never say ur method is wrong..and in some situations i still apply..in fact tats the method we've all learnt..
    but we must always improve ourselves..just like we no longer use parking poles for parking..

I like to use M, but when I don't have much time, P is faster

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast