Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

Member/Tangshooter

Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

Quote Originally Posted by JL1500k
    Auto and manual gear is aleast 2k difference in price. Can save the 2k for D200
    Now you get my point.
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz
    Auto or Manual is very much personal preference.

I personally would prefer manual.

But when a person buys a car, the choice between auto & manual would comes to the last
    decision. Because choosing the preferred model will overrule.
    E.g.: One uncle who loves to drive manual is aiming to buy a Mercedes, think he hardly
    has any choice to have it in manual.
    if banz has no manual, then dont buy benz

cos i always see these factors in decreasing priority
    1. transmission (Manual vs auto)
    2. type (sedan, hatch, SUV, etc)
    3. price
    4. asthetics and other funny/extra features eg sunroof.

but why benz no manual?? is it that they think their auto gearbox outperforms manual handling or is it some company policy.

It's not just benz. A lot of car models (especially higher-end models, except sports cars) are increasingly only coming in auto flavor. For some other models, the manual version is marketed as a lower-end model with other extras being taken out as well. Like the Ssangyong Musso my dad just ordered, only the auto version comes with ABS which i feel is quite important. And according to the salesperson, it's not possible to get the manual version and then install ABS so you're pretty much channeled into getting the auto.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by user111
    if banz has no manual, then dont buy benz

cos i always see these factors in decreasing priority
    1. transmission (Manual vs auto)
    2. type (sedan, hatch, SUV, etc)
    3. price
    4. asthetics and other funny/extra features eg sunroof.

but why benz no manual?? is it that they think their auto gearbox outperforms manual handling or is it some company policy.
    i think u got ur factors a bit wrong, i should help u to re-sort.
    1.) type (sedan, hatch, coupe, MPV, SUV, 4WD, luxury)
    2.) price
    3.) transmission
    4.) asthetics and other funny/extra features eg sunroof

#4 is not a realli important factor anyway, can psycho the sales agent to throw in some.

I never say benz no manual, most presido cabs are diesel manual-a point tat shows manual are more fuel economy.

But ppl who buy benz, are usually those who wants luxury and comfort, so y go for manual.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by Denosha
    It's not just benz. A lot of car models (especially higher-end models, except sports cars) are increasingly only coming in auto flavor. For some other models, the manual version is marketed as a lower-end model with other extras being taken out as well. Like the Ssangyong Musso my dad just ordered, only the auto version comes with ABS which i feel is quite important. And according to the salesperson, it's not possible to get the manual version and then install ABS so you're pretty much channeled into getting the auto.
    with the control that manual cars offer, abs is only an added feature.
    with/without abs, handling of manual cars is still under ur control.

Abs is fitted for most auto cars becos it lacks the capability of engine brake
    tat can be achieved wif manual cars.

For some other models, the manual version is marketed as a lower-end model with other extras being taken out as well.
    actually i dont mind that. it saves cost for budget-minded folks

with the control that manual cars offer, abs is only an added feature.
    with/without abs, handling of manual cars is still under ur control.

Abs is fitted for most auto cars becos it lacks the capability of engine brake
    tat can be achieved wif manual cars.
    Erm.. i think you misunderstand what ABS is for. ABS doesn't have anything to do with engine brake (which actually has nothing to do with the brakes themselves). Apart from shortening the braking distance, the most important thing is that they prevent your wheels from locking up when u brake so that you can still steer under braking. The difference is quite stunning from what I've seen in a documentary once where they tested the ability of a driver to avoid an obstacle under braking.

More about ABS here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/anti-lock-brake.htm
    An interesting quote from the front page: "In fact, on slippery surfaces, even professional drivers can't stop as quickly without ABS as an average driver can with ABS."

vince123123
    Guests

This is not always true - I wanted a particular car model, but it only came in Manual gears, so I had to settle for my second choice which came in Auto.

It is also a factor to decide, and not necessarily the last factor.

But when a person buys a car, the choice between auto & manual would comes to the last
    E.g.: One uncle who loves to drive manual is aiming to buy a Mercedes, think he hardly

But if a model tat u like has both auto & manual shift..then it all depends on your urself.
    Ask for test drive on both models, get a feel of it. But remember to try the auto first, and
    then test the manual one. I gaurantee that 75% of u ppl will pick the manual one.

As a matter of fact, on paper, spec. for manual will outperform auto and its gonna cost less oso.

vince123123
    Guests

This is not always true - I wanted a particular car model, but it only came in Manual gears, so I had to settle for my second choice which came in Auto.

But if a model tat u like has both auto & manual shift..then it all depends on your urself.
    Ask for test drive on both models, get a feel of it. But remember to try the auto first, and
    then test the manual one. I gaurantee that 75% of u ppl will pick the manual one.

As a matter of fact, on paper, spec. for manual will outperform auto and its gonna cost less oso.

Member/Tangshooter

Erm.. i think you misunderstand what ABS is for. ABS doesn't have anything to do with engine brake (which actually has nothing to do with the brakes themselves). Apart from shortening the braking distance, the most important thing is that they prevent your wheels from locking up when u brake so that you can still steer under braking. The difference is quite stunning from what I've seen in a documentary once where they tested the ability of a driver to avoid an obstacle under braking.

More about ABS here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/anti-lock-brake.htm
    An interesting quote from the front page: "In fact, on slippery surfaces, even professional drivers can't stop as quickly without ABS as an average driver can with ABS."
    No misunderstanding here..ABS is a safety feature. Be it manual or auto its good to have.

how often does drivers jam the brakes so hard tat causes the locking of wheels?

For manual cars, i usually down shift first for slowing down the car then i use the brakes.
    Even if there is an obstacle ahead i can easily manuvre away becos i'm in a lower gear which means more grip.

For auto cars, down shifting is programed which mean drivers have to step more on the brakes for slowing down within a shorter distance "may" equate to wheel locking. And for manuvering away from obstacle, auto cars without abs will mean danger. becos the gear set is determined by the speed, which can mean turning at high speed with high gears.

High speed, low gear - gives more torque which mean more control.

The documentary is to show the usefulness of ABS, and is driven by professionals.
    How many singaporean drivers can execute tat kind of turns when circumstances arise.
    Likely chance of hitting the oncoming vehicles on the left or right.

ABS has many forms and spec. Some cars in the states, they employ mechanical and electronic ABS, for better safety, especially winter where most of the time u will be driving on ice.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123

True. Which i have say earlier, its strongly point to personal preference.

One simple analogy:
    I would love to have a D200, but it works best in manual; cos i'm not so confident in shooting manual & i've got weak arms. Hence i go for coolpix D50 instead.

vince123123
    Guests

Most probably ABS only comes into play when someone is trying to emergency brake. I'm not sure if Manual car drivers have the time to downshift during an emergency brake.

For my auto car, during an emergency, what I do is to brake first, and downshift after that.

No misunderstanding here..ABS is a safety feature. Be it manual or auto its good to have.

how often does drivers jam the brakes so hard tat causes the locking of wheels?

For manual cars, i usually down shift first for slowing down the car then i use the brakes.
    Even if there is an obstacle ahead i can easily manuvre away becos i'm in a lower gear which means more grip.

For auto cars, down shifting is programed which mean drivers have to step more on the brakes for slowing down within a shorter distance "may" equate to wheel locking. And for manuvering away from obstacle, auto cars without abs will mean danger. becos the gear set is determined by the speed, which can mean turning at high speed with high gears.

High speed, low gear - gives more torque which mean more control.

The documentary is to show the usefulness of ABS, and is driven by professionals.
    How many singaporean drivers can execute tat kind of turns when circumstances arise.
    Likely chance of hitting the oncoming vehicles on the left or right.

ABS has many forms and spec. Some cars in the states, they employ mechanical and electronic ABS, for better safety, especially winter where most of the time u will be driving on ice.

Purpose: ABS was designed to help you maintain directional control during emergency stops and when road conditions are poor. By maintaining control, you have better chances of avoiding a crash. ABS is especially useful on wet and slippery roads. You should never pump the brake pedal on a car with ABS, since the system itself ?pumps? the brakes automatically. All you need to do is apply firm and continuous pressure to the brake pedal to activate ABS operation. When the ABS system operates, you may feel a pulsating sensation from the brake pedal.

http://www.carcare.org/Brakes/abs.shtml

Member/Tangshooter

Purpose: ABS was designed to help you maintain directional control during emergency stops and when road conditions are poor. By maintaining control, you have better chances of avoiding a crash. ABS is especially useful on wet and slippery roads. You should never pump the brake pedal on a car with ABS, since the system itself ?pumps? the brakes automatically. All you need to do is apply firm and continuous pressure to the brake pedal to activate ABS operation. When the ABS system operates, you may feel a pulsating sensation from the brake pedal.

http://www.carcare.org/Brakes/abs.shtml
    The electronic ABS performs intermitent brakings, on/off/on/off very fast on the brake calipers..tats y can feel the pulsating effect..some drivers who doesn't noe well may tot its a brake malfunction..end up jamming the brake harder..

For the mechanical type, its more complex..

Yeah exactly, the whole point of ABS is that in an emergency, you still have control over the vehicle while braking. In those situations you don't even have enuff road/time to use engine brakes much less downshift. The documentary's test was nothing super difficult actually and the test was done by the presenter him/her self (can't remember who). It was onthe program fifth gear. It's just a simple swerve maneuver to avoid an foam wall straight ahead while under braking.

If you've never had to e-brake, never had to swerve, never had problems braking on slippery surfaces then you must be a very safe and very very lucky driver.

Manual
    1.4cc and below
    For experience driver
    Like to play with manual gear and perform stunt like Initial D
    For people who drive auto and manual can upgrade to class 4/4A/5
    Cheaper

Auto
    1.5cc and above
    For elderly and inexperience people
    For those people who pass Auto gear license only
    No upgrade path for auto gear license driver (Need to retake manual class 3 license)
    More expensive
    They rolled out the Class 3 Auto Restricted license already?

Hope my sister takes the Full Class 3 test instead of the Auto restricted one.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Wrong technique. You always use the brakes first. This is the most immediate and effective way to shave off speed. Engine brake is to assist the slowing down. Besides, at high speed you are stressing the enigne with lower gear by sending it to higher rpm as well as burning the clutch. Using the brake aggressively will only mean premature wear on the pads which is definitely cheaper to replace.

Actually ABS will increase the braking distance when you do emergency braking. The function of ABS is to prevent wheel lock and keep it rolling because when the the wheels loose traction it will be hard to control (except for drift expert). When ABS kicking it will perform series of pulse to the brake caliper when the sensor detecting wheel lock to keep the wheel turning thus easier for driver to control the car.
    There are 4 channels or 2 channels ABS powered by electronic controlled pump. I can't find any reference for electronic only or mechanical only ABS, anyone can enlighten me?

For auto and manual car, both able to do engine break by down shifting. Manual or Auto doesn't make any advantage on cornering.
    W204FL

I saw most of the drivers will step on brake and rest there when come to traffic light stop.
    So the brake pedal will wear off fast and the brake light bulb need to replace soon?

If every times need to put to N then back to D will it cause wear and tear the gearbox? Is it too troublesome to do that when each time come to a stopping for traffic light? It is need to wait for more than 5mins then put to N otherwise car will try to move forward (because engine is running) when in D mode if you do not step on brake. Need feedback for those who drive Auto.

vince123123
    Guests

It seems strange that there would be a wearing off when you step on the brake to keep the car in a stationary position - there is no movement and hence there is no wearing.

As for the transmission fluid from the pedal to the brake...no idea.

I saw most of the drivers will step on brake and rest there when come to traffic light stop.
    So the brake pedal will wear off fast and the brake light bulb need to replace soon?

If every times need to put to N then back to D will it cause wear and tear the gearbox? Is it too troublesome to do that when each time come to a stopping for traffic light? It is need to wait for more than 5mins then put to N otherwise car will try to move forward (because engine is running) when in D mode if you do not step on brake. Need feedback for those who drive Auto.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast