Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

most of my friend had auto lic , we all share this theory that since never go to malaysia , n only stay in singapore , coe droppping n more people affording cars , singapore roads will jam more often , hence auto is the best choice , hahahah , any 1 of u share the same view ?

I have been driving manual car for close to 20 years before I switched to auto about 2 years ago. When I was on manual, I was yearning for an auto car. Now that I am driving an auto car, I am yearning for the manual. So ironic. I realised that auto lacks the pick-up and control of the manual. Enough of auto car for me and will go back to manual for my next ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel
    As for knowing which gear you r in, I am seriously wondering why would anyone want to know which gear they are in for Auto. In the event it's a MUST KNOW, there is also a gear indicator which can be installed.

Cheers
    Its not so much about which gear you are in, its about matching the peak power band on the rpm against the current speed. So yes, in a way you dun really need to know which gear but you need to keep the engine the the rpm with the "right" gear. Some CVT setup (eg Jazz DSi) does not allow gear selection, it depends on the "computer" to match the gear with the speed and the position of the throttle. In the VTEC Fit, it allows a selection of up to 7 with the over ride.

So auto or manual? It really depends on what you exactly want, ie a personal preference. I love manual shifting, but if I am given a DSG box, I am more than happy to take it too.

Oh and no. Manual does not really mean better control. You should see technology in gearboxes nowadays. Some even switches gear at almost no considerable lag and clock faster timing in the quarter mile sprint than its manual equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm
    I have been driving manual car for close to 20 years before I switched to auto about 2 years ago. When I was on manual, I was yearning for an auto car. Now that I am driving an auto car, I am yearning for the manual. So ironic. I realised that auto lacks the pick-up and control of the manual. Enough of auto car for me and will go back to manual for my next ride.
    Especially when overtaking eh? U'll have to step harder and go Vrrrrooooommmmm to overtake the other car on the other lane cruising smoothly.

As for manual? Shift up, juz eek a little harder on the accel pedal and u go fast enuff to overtake.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz
    One famous phrase from 《烈火战车》- “人要比车凶”

And a famous phrase from me - "man behind camera must be brighter than the lens"
    it's from the crappy part 2..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Singapore always got traffic jam especially at peak hours, accident or road work. Pity those uncle who drive Taxi. Maybe next time all taxi change to auto like Bangkok all taxi are toyota Altis Auto

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Especially when overtaking eh? U'll have to step harder and go Vrrrrooooommmmm to overtake the other car on the other lane cruising smoothly.

As for manual? Shift up, juz eek a little harder on the accel pedal and u go fast enuff to overtake.
    Ya man, Vrrrrooooommmmm or Zzzzzzom later need to visit petrol station very soon to top up fuel liao.

For pick up speed, Manual is still faster.

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    it's from the crappy part 2..
    Yah, full of shite. You just tell your mechanic, oh add *one bar*, as if like taking a walk in the park. Expect a lot of fireworks when you take the pleasant stroll...

For Singaporean road, auto gear is the way to go lah...I have lots of friends get manual ones and regretted.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    For Singaporean road, auto gear is the way to go lah...I have lots of friends get manual ones and regretted.
    Well, in my past 20 odd years of driving manual cars, have never regretted it even when stuck in traffic jam. To me, one of the fun in driving a manual car is that you get to shift the gear.

Well, in my past 20 odd years of driving manual cars, have never regretted it even when stuck in traffic jam. To me, one of the fun in driving a manual car is that you get to shift the gear.
    Auto Car can shift gear too. D, N, R, P

True. Manual gears are for ppl who are really passionate about cars. For me and my friends, we just want to have a smooth and easy ride wherever I go.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo
    True. Manual gears are for ppl who are really passionate about cars. For me and my friends, we just want to have a smooth and easy ride wherever I go.
    Those really passionate go for semi auto rides, pedal shift gear change

A lot of the new auto cars have a semi-auto mode where you can still change gear via either buttons on the steering wheel, the a sequential shifter on the gear stick itself or paddle shifts. Of course there isn't that feel and the ability to hold revs like with a manual box but i guess it's better than full auto no?

not to wage war against anyone but really..i am a old skool manual die hard, just as i am a diehard canon fan. manual gear shifting is more for those who like to "feel" and "sense" the car more.
    i love the change in feel when changing from gear 1 to 2 during a right turn at a junction. i love the feel of upping from gear 2 to 3, then to 4. so smooth, so fluid. it makes u feel like a real driver.
    i love the feel of stopping, then engaging reverse gear to do directional change. my left leg feels detached without the clutch. i cannot live without a clutch pedal. driving a clutchless auto is like eating bread without butter.
    etc etc. manual gear shifting allows for a closer connection and integration of man and machine. if all else were equal..manual gear shifting has that intangible, extra special touch. personally, i dont mind half clutching in a traffic jam. in fact, i am addicted to it

Manual
    1.4cc and below
    For experience driver
    Like to play with manual gear and perform stunt like Initial D
    For people who drive auto and manual can upgrade to class 4/4A/5
    Cheaper

Auto
    1.5cc and above
    For elderly and inexperience people
    For those people who pass Auto gear license only
    No upgrade path for auto gear license driver (Need to retake manual class 3 license)
    More expensive

Member/Tangshooter

Auto or Manual is very much personal preference.

I personally would prefer manual.

But when a person buys a car, the choice between auto & manual would comes to the last
    decision. Because choosing the preferred model will overrule.
    E.g.: One uncle who loves to drive manual is aiming to buy a Mercedes, think he hardly
    has any choice to have it in manual.

But if a model tat u like has both auto & manual shift..then it all depends on your urself.
    Ask for test drive on both models, get a feel of it. But remember to try the auto first, and
    then test the manual one. I gaurantee that 75% of u ppl will pick the manual one.

As a matter of fact, on paper, spec. for manual will outperform auto and its gonna cost less oso.
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz
    Auto or Manual is very much personal preference.

I personally would prefer manual.

But when a person buys a car, the choice between auto & manual would comes to the last
    decision. Because choosing the preferred model will overrule.
    E.g.: One uncle who loves to drive manual is aiming to buy a Mercedes, think he hardly
    has any choice to have it in manual.

But if a model tat u like has both auto & manual shift..then it all depends on your urself.
    Ask for test drive on both models, get a feel of it. But remember to try the auto first, and
    then test the manual one. I gaurantee that 75% of u ppl will pick the manual one.

As a matter of fact, on paper, spec. for manual will outperform auto and its gonna cost less oso.

Well Said and Auto is more Convenient and Maunal Gear can do leg exercise when driving.

Auto and manual gear is aleast 2k difference in price. Can save the 2k for D200

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast