Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 148

Thread: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

  1. #41

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz
    tats rite!
    on top of tat, auto cars are oso quite a road hazards.
    when most auto drivers try to slow down a bit their cars they will usually step on the brakes
    and natural response for the vehicle behind is to think tat car in front maybe braking hard
    and imagine tis effect being pass down a fast moving right lane on the expressway.
    for manual drivers, usually we apply engine brakes for a little bit of slow down so no brakes
    involve.
    Some times when come to emergency, in some cases driver tend to step on accelerator instead of brake for auto gear. Sometimes it also happen on reversing as well.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    Quote Originally Posted by JL1500k
    Which one will you decide if you are going to purchase a 1.4CC car and below. Auto or Manual gear?

    Some people said manual gear consume less petro than auto type.
    MANUAL

    the disadvantages of auto car:
    1. complicated gear box, more prone to breadown than manual gearbox. also, costly repairs if it break down

    2. makes you lazy and eventually forget how to effectively drive manual car. all my colleagues now drive auto and all are now unable to handle manual car

    3. costs more.

    4. there is almost no engine brake at all speeds!

    5. when moving fwd, you dont even know exactly which gear u are at.


    whats more, u can buy second hand manual cars at really cheap prices like $20k. if you want to buy a cheap second hand auto car..frankly speaking, it doesnt really exist in the market.

  3. #43
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    Just to comment on these.

    1. No comments - I'm not a mechanic

    2. That may be true, however all technological advances are intended to make people lazy and/or make life easier. Would you not use a computer because it makes you lazy and forget how to use a manual typewriter? Would you not use Af because it makes you lazy and forget how to use MF? Would you not use email because it makes you lazy and forget how to write a letter?

    3. That is true - you pay for the convenience.

    4. Not all auto cars have no engine brake. Some have shifttronic capabilities that let you upshift or downshift as you like. Even the more primitive auto cars allow a certain measure of engine braking (using the 1 or 2 settings). Of course if you want to use enigne braking at Gear 3, you're out of luck with the primitive auto cars.

    5. Again, the more advanced auto cars are able to tell you which gear you are at. But I was just wondering, why do you need to know which gear you're at when you drive auto?

    Quote Originally Posted by user111
    MANUAL

    the disadvantages of auto car:
    1. complicated gear box, more prone to breadown than manual gearbox. also, costly repairs if it break down

    2. makes you lazy and eventually forget how to effectively drive manual car. all my colleagues now drive auto and all are now unable to handle manual car

    3. costs more.

    4. there is almost no engine brake at all speeds!

    5. when moving fwd, you dont even know exactly which gear u are at.


    whats more, u can buy second hand manual cars at really cheap prices like $20k. if you want to buy a cheap second hand auto car..frankly speaking, it doesnt really exist in the market.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonpgc
    I think Manual is much more dangerous for beginner drivers.

    Auto cars will let you concentrate all your attention on the road.

    Just like most of us always begin photography with auto camera and negatives.
    Sucess rate is almost 100% per roll.

    Manual is like a beginner handling a FM2 and Velvia Slides.
    Sucess rate is much lower.

    Well ruining a roll few of slides is nothing to beginner mah,

    But even a tiny small scratch on your car will cost you $$$ to patch back.
    Kinda curious, did u pass ur Class 3? Unless u're talking about one of those new fangled 'auto restricted license', beginner drivers are all trained on Manual Gears.

    So if u're saying Manual is much more dangerous for beginner drivers, either the beginner driver is sleeping during driving lessons and got ur Class 3 with sheer luck alone or the beginner driver did something to the tester to get his/her license.

    I had more problems with an Auto Car initially when I switched over from Manual instead.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  5. #45
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    Well, for a learner driver, it takes more effort to learn a manual car as there are more things to be aware of, and more controls to manipulate to get the desired result.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Kinda curious, did u pass ur Class 3? Unless u're talking about one of those new fangled 'auto restricted license', beginner drivers are all trained on Manual Gears.

    So if u're saying Manual is much more dangerous for beginner drivers, either the beginner driver is sleeping during driving lessons and got ur Class 3 with sheer luck alone or the beginner driver did something to the tester to get his/her license.

    I had more problems with an Auto Car initially when I switched over from Manual instead.

  6. #46

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    Agree that manual car has better control.
    That why sport car like WRX STI and EVO take part in racing is using manual gear.

    Mini Cooper S (Sport) also got Maunal

  7. #47
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    Be it manual or auto its up to personal preference.

    But over here some tips for choosing:
    1.) Age 18~35 (young and adventure, go for manual)
    2.) Age 35~45 (family man, go for auto)
    3.) Age 45 and up (hope can save enough to buy a lamborghini gallardo or Enzio Ferrari, of course manual one lahz, or else take mrt better, think got senior citizen discount)

    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  8. #48
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Just to comment on these.

    1. No comments - I'm not a mechanic

    2. That may be true, however all technological advances are intended to make people lazy and/or make life easier. Would you not use a computer because it makes you lazy and forget how to use a manual typewriter? Would you not use Af because it makes you lazy and forget how to use MF? Would you not use email because it makes you lazy and forget how to write a letter?

    3. That is true - you pay for the convenience.

    4. Not all auto cars have no engine brake. Some have shifttronic capabilities that let you upshift or downshift as you like. Even the more primitive auto cars allow a certain measure of engine braking (using the 1 or 2 settings). Of course if you want to use enigne braking at Gear 3, you're out of luck with the primitive auto cars.

    5. Again, the more advanced auto cars are able to tell you which gear you are at. But I was just wondering, why do you need to know which gear you're at when you drive auto?
    vince, #2, New technology does not mean its better. MP3 Vs CD? Ppl still want to cruise than fly. So i guess its part of the experience.

    #5, I guess if you're schooled in maunal transmission, naturally, you will like to know which gear you're in and it may help when trying to get out of a long sweeping corner or climbing a gentle slope.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Kinda curious, did u pass ur Class 3? Unless u're talking about one of those new fangled 'auto restricted license', beginner drivers are all trained on Manual Gears.

    So if u're saying Manual is much more dangerous for beginner drivers, either the beginner driver is sleeping during driving lessons and got ur Class 3 with sheer luck alone or the beginner driver did something to the tester to get his/her license.

    I had more problems with an Auto Car initially when I switched over from Manual instead.
    Don't you know that auto cars are easier to drive? Esp for a new driver that passed his manual licence, auto is still going to be easier to drive. Both are equally dangerous but with auto, the new driver have less things to worry about like gears and clutch. Might allow him/er to concentrate more with less distractions. Some new drivers must still 'look' at the gear shift or forget which gear they're in. How they pass, i dunno. These days, a lot of lousy drivers on the road.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Well, for a learner driver, it takes more effort to learn a manual car as there are more things to be aware of, and more controls to manipulate to get the desired result.
    True.

    But more effort and since one takes Class 3 on a manual car and passed his TP, means that he/she shld be a reasonably good driver to be put on the road without none of the silly mistakes learner drivers make like rolling back on a hill and stuff like dat.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  10. #50
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    I don't think that passing a test correlates with how good a driver is.

    Hmm, I see a lot of drivers rolling back on the hill, and its obvious to me that they are driving a manual car. In order to drive a manual car, they must have passed the Manual Class 3 test.

    By the way, I've also passed the Original Class 3 manual test.

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    True.

    But more effort and since one takes Class 3 on a manual car and passed his TP, means that he/she shld be a reasonably good driver to be put on the road without none of the silly mistakes learner drivers make like rolling back on a hill and stuff like dat.

    I didn't say its better, I just say it makes life easier and more convenient. For raw power and people who like the control, sure you can go ahead for Manual gear. That said, auto gear isn't as devoid of control as some make it out to be. The point was in response to another poster's point that the disadvantage of auto is that you get lazy. Technological advances often makes people lazier or makes jobs easier. There may or may not be some compromises (whether price, control, raw power etc) to achieve the ease.

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    vince, #2, New technology does not mean its better. MP3 Vs CD? Ppl still want to cruise than fly. So i guess its part of the experience.

  11. #51
    Senior Member afbug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Planet SG™
    Posts
    483

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123

    I didn't say its better, I just say it makes life easier and more convenient.
    If it makes life easier and more convenient, isn't it better? Can't be still the same or worst rite?

    Disadvantage of auto is not you'll get lazy. It allows you to be lazy. But really, i spoke to my uncles who drove autos for a long long time and they say its very hard for them to old back to manual. Want to be lazy. In a sense, if you get used to convience, not easy to go back to old school.

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    it's funny how i waited but nobody mentioned this...

    Regardless, manual or auto...........





    It's the man behind the wheel..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  13. #53
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    Like I said previously, it makes life easier and more convenient. Just like how AF and Aperture Priority/ Shutter Priority makes life easier. But the alternative view is that MF and Manual settings give more power and control.

    Hence, there's no conclusion on "better". Its more convenient, perhaps at a trade-off.

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    If it makes life easier and more convenient, isn't it better? Can't be still the same or worst rite?

    Disadvantage of auto is not you'll get lazy. It allows you to be lazy. But really, i spoke to my uncles who drove autos for a long long time and they say its very hard for them to old back to manual. Want to be lazy. In a sense, if you get used to convience, not easy to go back to old school.

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    Quote Originally Posted by afbug
    Don't you know that auto cars are easier to drive? Esp for a new driver that passed his manual licence, auto is still going to be easier to drive. Both are equally dangerous but with auto, the new driver have less things to worry about like gears and clutch. Might allow him/er to concentrate more with less distractions. Some new drivers must still 'look' at the gear shift or forget which gear they're in. How they pass, i dunno. These days, a lot of lousy drivers on the road.
    Know... of cos know. Step accelerator and go. Want to stop, step brake.

    My biggest problem when parking with an auto car is engaging the Drive and stepping on the accelerator instead of engaging Reverse.

    I realised I got more close shaves with Auto den with Manual. Manual anyday. Especially with the WEeee~~~~~ gliding I can do.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  15. #55
    crizz
    Guests

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    I am still using manual for my driving. Manual is good if you are not yet become a lazy driver and want to zoom away faster. Nonetheless auto is good if you are always stuck in a jam

    My vote, if you got the money ... go for auto straight ... if not go for manual.

  16. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    Manual for me. More control and power.

  17. #57

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay





    It's the man behind the wheel..
    Cos this comment is so full of shite lor...

  18. #58
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    it's funny how i waited but nobody mentioned this...

    Regardless, manual or auto...........


    It's the man behind the wheel..
    One famous phrase from 《烈火战车》- “人要比车凶”

    And a famous phrase from me - "man behind camera must be brighter than the lens"
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  19. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Jurong Island
    Posts
    1,124

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    To clear some doubts,

    The newly CVT gearbox are a pain the neck when they spoilt. The technology in a CVT gearbox is to have a smoother gear change so that the driver or passenger do not even feel any gear change as compared to conventional auto gearbox where there is a "jerk". As compared to a manual gearbox, replacing is defintely more costly than the latter. (A Honda auto gearbox can cost up to $8k to replace from KM). Also, it is recommended to do a flushing and replacing of the ATF (auto transmission fluid) yearly.

    For autogear box, try not to change gears too often (especially during traffic light change). Constant changing of gears will result in faster wear and tear of the gearbox. For best recommendation, only change from D to N or R during parking or when reaching destination. Keep it in D mode even during traffic light. Myth is that engaging in D mode consumes fuel.

    Safety wise, it is not true that Auto mode is safer for new drivers. I guess many should have heard of the news where a new driver plunge to death froma multi storey carpark in our neighbouring country. Why so? She unknowingly engaged into the R instead of D and step hard on the accelerator.

    There will be engine brakes irregardless manual or auto. Of course the higher the gear, the lesser the engine brake. For manual gears, you can do a selection of gears. For auto, you can also choose by dropping to "3" (unless if you are travelling beyond 100km/h). Then again, I don't see the need for engine braking at high speed. It's more for travelling downslope (e.g. from Genting downslope) and you'd usually engage 2 for the engine braking to prevent burnt out of your brake pads.

    As for knowing which gear you r in, I am seriously wondering why would anyone want to know which gear they are in for Auto. In the event it's a MUST KNOW, there is also a gear indicator which can be installed.

    Cheers

  20. #60
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Auto or Manual Gear for Car

    Be it manual or auto, check ur tacho & speedo, u should be able to tell the gear u r in..no
    need for fancyful gadets..

    For me, i listen to the sound of the engine..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •