Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seek advice on upgrading d50 kit lens.

Default Re: seek advice on upgrading d50 kit lens.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdell

Thanks for asking those two question.
    It made me clear about the reason why I started this thread which is asking recommendation of a lens whose range is longer than my kit lens and has a bigger aperture as well, enough to produce bokeh. and within the budget of mine.
    hopefully you can give a suggestion.
    Hi Thunder dude!

If u eventually find a lens that fits all the criteria that u mentioned at yr budget of $500, share with me hor

If fact, share with all us CSers. We also want to get!!!!

No seriously, don't be selfish lei. We all help you so much... but with ALL our collective experience, we don't know of any lens that fits the bill. So if u do find one, do tell hor.

Heck if u do find a lens that fits the criteria, I will PERSONALLY organise an MO for it so we all can get it at a good price! Yeah!
    Good idea? Yah so FASTER find the lens... I wanna buy also. I search 2+ yrs still cannot find.... si beh jia lat I wanna give up and cry already. But with your persistence and my contacts, we will succeed!

But don't cheat cheat and say 18-200 hor! That one, aperture lobang not bigger than kit lens hor

Thank kew thank kew.
    Last edited by solarii; 29th May 2006 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tucker
    upgrade? sure! Zeng your kit lens
    go to Nikon and warn them to upgrade the AF motor, if not @ least lube it more.
    then get them to change all element to ED and aspherical.
    lastly. to get sharp lens.
    use a grinder and Buar till e tip is sharp.

hope this helps yeah
    Hello friend!

Its zhng, not zeng. Zhng got more zhng to it that zeng.

Zeng is a surname... zhng is the benglish term for mod.

But yah I zhng lenses also. I got blue ring lights around the zoom controls, plus additional DOF scale built in.

I change my focusing motor also... when I auto focus can produce vROOMM vROOMM WHIRL sound like Harley liddat! Si bei chio

Blog Entries

how about the Keep your kit lens, sell your 70-300
    and buy the Nikon 85mm F1.8

http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem....108-dd1176435b

Portable medium telephoto - ideal for portraits.Subtle blurring of background for beautifully natural and evocative portraits.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by solarii
    Hi Thunder dude!

If u eventually find a lens that fits all the criteria that u mentioned at yr budget of $500, share with me hor

If fact, share with all us CSers. We also want to get!!!!

No seriously, don't be selfish lei. We all help you so much... but with ALL our collective experience, we don't know of any lens that fits the bill. So if u do find one, do tell hor.

Heck if u do find a lens that fits the criteria, I will PERSONALLY organise an MO for it so we all can get it at a good price! Yeah!
    Good idea? Yah so FASTER find the lens... I wanna buy also. I search 2+ yrs still cannot find.... si beh jia lat I wanna give up and cry already. But with your persistence and my contacts, we will succeed!

But don't cheat cheat and say 18-200 hor! That one, aperture lobang not bigger than kit lens hor

Thank kew thank kew.
    Hi solarii,

no need to be like that lah ....
    I don't know much lens that are available in the market now. that's why I was wondering wheter u guys can recommend me.....
    budget can be flexible a bit..open also for 2nd hand.

anyway, thanks to all the senior who have given me suggestion and advice.
    enough troubling you all ,

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ortega

hi ortega,

thanks for the kind suggestion

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    Tempting....

Regards,
    Arto.

how about the sigma 17-70 f2.8-4? aperture is pretty big compared to d50 kit lens and range is slightly longer as well + its about $600 for a new one

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    how about the sigma 17-70 f2.8-4? aperture is pretty big compared to d50 kit lens and range is slightly longer as well + its about $600 for a new one
    Thanks for the suggestion, will read the review about that lens.

Hi solarii,

no need to be like that lah ....
    I don't know much lens that are available in the market now. that's why I was wondering wheter u guys can recommend me.....
    budget can be flexible a bit..open also for 2nd hand.

anyway, thanks to all the senior who have given me suggestion and advice.
    enough troubling you all ,

cheers
    No what, I'm dead serious. Ok maybe a little caustic, but I'm serious. Not making fun of you... my offer still stands.

I'm also looking for a lens with similiar specs as you. I think you've got a very good wishlist... very practical and versatile. Too bad no lens manufacturer wants to listen to us.

I like a fast lens, preferably constant 2.8. I also want it to cover a useful range... 18-55 is too short. 18-105mm would be nice... don't ask for too much. That way I can do landscapes + close-ups without having to switch lenses. Can also cover a bit of low-light as well.

Also don't need IS cos that will be costly. I also want the lens to be sharp... I also like prime sharpness. My budget is way biggest than yours... I'm willing to pay $1000+ for the lens.

So if any CSer can also recommend me a lens that fits the criteria, do let me know also. Cos I search high and low dun have lei.

I also looked at the Sigma...problem is 2.8 is only for the wide angle (ie 17mm)... it closes down quickly to f4 once you use the longer focal lengths, so no I won't consider it much faster than the kit. AND the difference between 55 and 70 is hardly significant... you'll barely notice the diff in real shooting. You'll need to hit at least 85mm to be able to say "yah. more coverage ah"
    Last edited by solarii; 29th May 2006 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft
    Please explain how vignette will occur when you shoot wide. Do you know what is vignette?

Regards,
    Arto.
    Sorry Lah, Arto. Not Vignette. What the hell am I thinking about? It is barrel distortion. Distortion for such a range such as 18 - 200 when you shoot wide. I myself have not used such a range but theoretically it should happen. Am I right to say that? At 18mm, it should be almost fisheye effect

How about third party lens,
    with the same budget surely i can get a bigger apperture than from nikon lens, rite?
    wouldn't that be better?a bigger apperture..

Thanks
    Let me know if you can find one with the same picture quality as nikkor lens. I want one too.

Thanks
    Last edited by longkangman; 30th May 2006 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihsan Chua
    Sorry Lah, Arto. Not Vignette. What the hell am I thinking about? It is barrel distortion. Distortion for such a range such as 18 - 200 when you shoot wide. I myself have not used such a range but theoretically it should happen. Am I right to say that? At 18mm, it should be almost fisheye effect
    Don't worry .

At 18mm, it is not "almost fisheye effect". In Nikon 1.5x crop factor (35mm film equivalent), 18mm will become 27mm. Wide Angle, not fisheye.

Regards,
    Arto.

Hi,

I am not pro , I just started learning photography.
    That's why I need you all advice. please don't assume too high of me.

To answer your question
    1. Definitely I am not doubting d50 kit lens ability to produce good quality picture.
    but I just thought if I can get a longer range it will be good.
    2. about the number f2.8, I thought with that aperture I can still get bokeh effect.
    above that is difficult unless the background is far enough from the subject.
    Is it true?

Thanks for asking those two question.
    It made me clear about the reason why I started this thread which is asking recommendation of a lens whose range is longer than my kit lens and has a bigger aperture as well, enough to produce bokeh. and within the budget of mine.
    hopefully you can give a suggestion.
    This, others have already answered.

As for shooting wedding, 17~55f2.8 is the lens that I can shoot thru out a whole wedding without changing lens. of coures, this lens is out of your budget.
    Don't keep chasing for nice bokeh effect now, it cause money, and photography skills.

for 24~120, you can't use it for wedding, it is not wide enough, about 60% of the shots you will miss.

You can consider the nikon 18~70, sigma 18~50f2.8, tamron 17~50f2.8 for wedding.

Hope this helps.

Blog Entries

or a nice tamron 90 for macro and people with nice bokeh

forgot to mention that it is sharp as well

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    This, others have already answered.

As for shooting wedding, 17~55f2.8 is the lens that I can shoot thru out a whole wedding without changing lens. of coures, this lens is out of your budget.
    Don't keep chasing for nice bokeh effect now, it cause money, and photography skills.

for 24~120, you can't use it for wedding, it is not wide enough, about 60% of the shots you will miss.

You can consider the nikon 18~70, sigma 18~50f2.8, tamron 17~50f2.8 for wedding.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the advice catchlights, have seen your work. They are

Quote Originally Posted by Ihsan Chua
    Am I right to say that? At 18mm, it should be almost fisheye effect
    No. It is like saying just because a car goes faster than a plane, it is a plane. Eg: Higher end cars, especially sports cars (not even counting racing cars like those from F1) can go faster than the take off speed of planes. Does it make them planes?

FE is based on the design of the lens. On 35mm, a full frame FE is 15 or 16mm. Yet, Sigma has a 35mm lens from 12-24mm that is fully rectilinear and ultrawide but not a FE.

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    No. It is like saying just because a car goes faster than a plane, it is a plane. Eg: Higher end cars, especially sports cars (not even counting racing cars like those from F1) can go faster than the take off speed of planes. Does it make them planes?

FE is based on the design of the lens. On 35mm, a full frame FE is 15 or 16mm. Yet, Sigma has a 35mm lens from 12-24mm that is fully rectilinear and ultrawide but not a FE.
    I think you misunderstood me or I have made a mistake in my judgement. What I am saying is that if it is 18mm to 200mm lens. If I shoot wide at 18mm, won't there be any barrel distortion. I am not saying that it will fully have a FE effect However, the image may curve inwards badly. Of course 12 to 24 will have not have that problem cause it was design for that purpose but the price is expensive also.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123