Thread: Is there a safe glue ?

Default Is there a safe glue ?

Hi all,

Sorry for re-posting the same question. (I had posted a similar one a litle time ago).

The question is:

If you have a brief case that you want to carry a couple of cameras and lens in and wanted to make partitions so that all fits and not move around.....

Does anyone know of a glue that can be used that will dry strong but not give off a gas (cureing) that might cloud the lens or spoil the sensor ?

The reason I am asking is because I had once superglued a device in a cabinet that contained a humidity sensor.
    The sensor element was harmed by the gas produced by the glue cureing.

I don't want to take the chance with a couple of cameras and lens being harmed if they were enclosed in a case where the glue is giving off a gas.

This gas may take some time to stop being produced depending on the glue.

If you have an idea and reply, I am in debt to you (I will put a kilo of prawns on the Bar-B-Q for you ).

Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Default Re: Is there a safe glue ?

Instead of using super glue. How about using hot glue-gun? I use them alot.

It dry strong, no smell and no harmful toxic.

Just need a little time more than super glue.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

Normally, the outgasing occurs during the curing time. just let the glue cure first before putting in your gears. In some of my cleanroom construction projects, my contractors use a special type of non-outgasing sealent. Silkaflex was one formally used but recently, due to more stringent requirements, NP1 is used. The curing time is quite long and it look like silicon and I dont know if it is strong enough. Dont ask me where to get it. I only use computer, brain and mouth to work

The hot glue might be a better alternative. Or better still, get a piece of Foam and cut out the shape of your gears. Using Velco tape is another option.

Hi dominator and DeSwitch,

Thank you for your replies !

To be honest I had not thought of hot glue. That will most likely be the best idea.

The super-glue was mentioned just as an example of a glue I found gives off a gass

Sikaflex is a good glue, I have used it for other reason before and it did a good job; I didn't realise it was non-outgassing. Worth a thought !.

I think that I will try the hot glue idea.

Thanks again for the replies
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    Hi dominator and DeSwitch,
    To be honest I had not thought of hot glue. That will most likely be the best idea.
    The super-glue was mentioned just as an example of a glue I found gives off a gass
    )
    Be careful. Just because the glue dries to a hard, odourless solid doesn't mean it does not emit gas. It could be just too faint for your nose. Even certain plastics will emit gas and over time despite being a stable solid, and can damage your slides or sensitive materials.

If you truly need gas-less construction, I would instead suggest you cut foam to size, and just fit them into your brief case. Sew or stitch places where you need more strength. Borrow a cue from camera bags : sew your foam in a piece of cloth, and sew velcro onto the cloth. If not, just live with the gas, it probably will not affect your equipment.