Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sellers backing out?

Default Re: Sellers backing out?

It's done, I've left him negative feedback. Too bad the full details are only visible to me, him and the mods... but anyway I've placed it here, with no nick attached.

Day 1: Arranged with seller to meet at tanjong pagar, at 6.30 pm the next day. Made things convenient for him. Both agreed on selling price of $200.

Day 2: Got SMS from seller in the morning saying that he couldn't meet later and would reschedule the meeting for the weekend. I told seller it was no problem.

Day 2 night: Seller posted in message thread that item was sold. I thought he meant he was reserving it for me.

Day 3 morning: SMSed seller, asking for meeting time as it was the weekend already. 8 hours later, got SMS from him saying it was already sold.

1. If he decided not to sell earlier, he could have just told me and I'd have let it go. But he said he'd reschedule our meeting, and then sold it to someone else in the meantime. This smacks of dishonesty.

2. Seller did not even have the courtesy to inform me that he sold it to someone else. No word from him at all, until I SMSed him. This shows a lack of integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by kcuf2
    for me, i kena meeting one of the i*i*ts to meet to buy my lens. He said he wanted to buy my lens and there is absolutely no problem with the lens, and all the box, lens, manual, receipt watsoever is all intact and in neat and pristine condition.
    and u all guys guess wat? he said my lens dint give good colour on his D100 and he dun wan the lens. wat a c0ckster. i would be more glad to inform ppl in clubsnap about who is this buyer and refrain from dealing with him so as not to waste ur time.

i think this is fine, if upon seeing the product and it's not up to expectation, even if it's extreme high expectation, backing out is ok to me. unless you mention explicitly that once someone lay his eyes on the item, it's consider sold. this is second hand market but is still subjected to the age old rule of "willing seller, willing buyer"

There are always this type of ppl around. Happened to me before too.

However, just don't do this to others even if others had done this to you. Keep the integrity up my friend.

This has not happened to me yet thankfully. All the sellers I have met have kept thier appointment or responded quickly enough.

As a buyer I always try to let the seller know if i will be late orgive notice if i am backing out early enough.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by Ah_Seng
    There are always this type of ppl around. Happened to me before too.

However, just don't do this to others even if others had done this to you. Keep the integrity up my friend.
    you are a great person to deal with, got time to chit chat also

Thanks bro. You are a great guy to deal with too.
    It's nice to make many friends thru B&S...

Quote Originally Posted by Errz
    Hm.. Think need to ask Rueyloon abt this ...happen to him once if i remember correctly
    ya loh, sausage also backed out of buying a lens with me once wat....

Quote Originally Posted by rueyloon
    OH! so the fella who play u out is Sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy
    And I was smarter the next time. No money, no deal.
    1. Was selling some filters (half interested in selling actually). One persistent buyer PMed me many times. Happened that I was free so replied his PM. Said ok, will deal when I m back in town. So happens, along the way someone else PMed me with a higher offer. So out of courtesy, I PMed the 1st guy, told him I had a better offer but will give him first rights of refusal if he could match the offer I got. Bloody idiot said I played him out (when no deal nor deposit changed hands) and insisted I sell to him at his lower asking price. When I refused, he gave me a bad rating.

So u guys be the judge who is right, who is wrong.
    in this case I rather you keep your word and sell the the first person you agreed to eventhough you got a higher offer later on.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Errz
    OH! so the fella who play u out is Sausage.
    not only sausage.... got others as well,

sausage contacted me on IRC saying that he wanted to buy the lens I put on B&S, but he backed out and didn't tell me until quite a while later.

the worst one was the one that asked me to meet at peninsula plaza BK. When I reached there there were another 1 or 2 guys, after I viewed the item, one of the guy paid for the item. I was like what the HECK !??! The seller already agreed to sell to another person but still ask me to come to town. I remember another guy also turned up, but walked away in dissapointment when he found out the arrangement.

He want to see wrestling match mah... Winner takes it all in the hope that all 4 would start a bidding war.

Typically before I buy or sell stuff from ppl, the ratings thing I dun think anyone really bothers. I'd go for a simple way, check out the fella's postings and all.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

He put u aeroplane at the last minute as well?

yAh, but I told in advance right I changed my mind right? I didn't make arrangement then didn't show up.

that's easier said than done. wat guarantee is there that the 1st guy wun play me out when no deposit has been paid? A lot of ppl say "ya ya i wan" on PM but on the appt date/time, they fail to show up. Remember we r dealing with total strangers here.

When it comes to ppl i know, i wun hesitate to reserve the item for him even if a better offer comes along.

in this case I rather you keep your word and sell the the first person you agreed to eventhough you got a higher offer later on.

cheers
    Last edited by astroboy; 28th May 2006 at 12:47 PM.

Ok... here's a summary of every SMS we exchanged, and some learning points.

Thursday morning

Quote Originally Posted by me
    Hi.. about the tokina macro lens, is it still available? When and where can you meet up?
    and on top of this I PM'ed him and posted in his thread too - "I'm interested in this lens, and I offer $200. Would you like to sell it at this price? I can meet you after work today, or tomorrow."

1 hour later I got his SMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Seller
    Tried calling you. Anyway I work at tanjong pagar. Can view the lens tomorrow. Please call me to let me low he you are free and where you can meet me.
    Ah.. phone was in silent mode so I must have missed the call. Was in a meeting (we all have to work for our money, right?) but I returned his SMS within the next 10 minutes.

Tomorrow after work at tanjong pagar is fine. What time?
    Yes tomorrow at 6.30 pm at tanjong pagar control station will be good. But what is your asking price for the lens?
    : Just saw your message. Your offer of $200 is favourable. I will see you tomorrow.
    Ok. If possible 6.15 cos got to rush to orchard for something. But we'll set it at 6.30 for now. See you.

Friday morning

Sorry I will not meet you today due to work. I will make am appointment with you over the weekend. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    No problem.
    Ok.

Friday afternoon

Seller posts in his thread that the lens has been sold. Reserved for me, I presume.

Friday midnight
    Hi, when would you like to meet over the weekend?
    Saturday morning
    Hi, when would you like to meet regarding the tokina lens?
    I called him twice too, but no one picked up the phone after 10 rings.
    Called him on another phone, no reply either.

Saturday evening
    Sorry but the lens has already been sold today. Thanks for your interest.
    Didn't we agree to meet over the weekend? You cancelled friday's meeting, and didn't even tell me that you already sold it.

Sunday afternoon
    What do you mean? I sold my lens to a person who offered me a higher price. You were rushing on saturday and I had work. I told you I will make an appointment with you. I did not promise you a venue and not come. Moreover I could speak to the other person on the phone when I called them not like you who didn't even answer. So I find them more reliable. In the end its my lens.
    I wasn't rushing on sat. on thu, we agreed to meet on fri at tg pgr. On fri morning you sms'd that you couldn't make it. So we agreed on the weekend. Got your SMS.
    Ok. If possible 6.15 cos got to rush to orchard for something. But we'll set it at 6.30 for now. See you.
    Yes I was working. You also had sometging in orchard. see your sms.
    Sorry what I meant was you were pushing no friday. Sunday is also a weekend so I would have oft you he I didn't sell the lens no sat.

I was initially pretty mad at the way he replied, but after getting that last SMS (and all the other SMSes with unintelligible grammar and text), I'll let it go. I just realized that he doesn't understand english; his name isn't that of a native singaporean either,so he probably misunderstood a lot of things and made too many assumptions.

But here are some points we can learn from.

1. Time, date and meeting place were requested by him. We agreed on it and I even let him name the place and time at his convenience. I had to rush off after dealing but communicated to him that his timing was still alright with me if there was no choice. He was the seller but I was very accomodating, even though usually the seller accomodates the buyer.

Learning point: Both parties should meet at a venue agreed upon by both ideally at a time far later than knock-off time. This way no one will say they are held up by work and need to reschedule the meeting.

2. We agreed on a price and he 'sold it to someone who offered more'. Nowhere on his thread did we see the higher offer. Through PM? This is the transparency issue that so many of us bemoan regarding the buy/sell section, with phantom buyers who might even be the seller himself upping the price.

Learning point: Ask all sellers to post the ID and price offered buy other sellers in their thread. Suppose they don't want to include the ID, then just the price will do; at least we can get some idea of whether the seller is just testing the market and finding out how much his item is worth.

3. Seller told me he couldn't make it for the appointment. It wasn't me who couldn't make it. I understand we are all busy people, so I was willing to meet over the weekend too. I wanted to deal fast on friday because the longer I delay, the more it seems like I'm an uninterested buyer. But now he's implying I was pushing for friday and was unwilling to meet on the weekend.

Learning point: Always try to meet on the very day you make the first call. If not possible as the seller did not bring the item to work with him, then the very next day, to close the deal fast. This is what I hoped for.

4. I missed his call but replied within 10 minutes of getting his SMS. And I replied to all his SMSes within 5 minutes of receiving them. Since we managed to fix up the time and place, I saw no need to make a further call.

Learning point: Always call the seller up to confirm, and make sure he acknowledges that both parties agree on the meeting place and time. Those paranoid people might want to record the conversation to document the agreement. Some sellers, like this guy, find people who make a single call more reliable than someone who replies, with clear and non-ambiguous text, to every single SMS within 5 minutes.

Haro RL!!

When I reached there there were another 1 or 2 guys, after I viewed the item, one of the guy paid for the item. I was like what the HECK !??! The seller already agreed to sell to another person but still ask me to come to town. I remember another guy also turned up, but walked away in dissapointment when he found out the arrangement.
    I think the seller was trying to keep you handy as a backup buyer in case the first one backed out on the spot.

Hi Sausage,
    I recently also encountered an similar experience, I was on the lookout for a Canon 350D. I reached agreement with the seller on his buy now price! at about midnight. Told him collect tomorrow lunch. He didn't even bother to call when he has sold the camera the next day! I can understand your frustration because I was damn @#$#%$* I mean at least have the basic courtesy to inform others. Thankfully, I met another different kind of seller later on who is the exact opposite of this guy and I got my camera.
    I can relate to the fact that this is only business and integrity doesn't mean much here but let me tell you this, a person without basic integrity is worthless and what goes around will always comes around.

Here's a summary imho:

1. Willing buyer, willing seller concept
    Anyone can choose to buy/sell to anyone. Both parties can back out ANYTIME before money/merchandise change hands. Even after inspecting the goods, the seller can say NO, i dun like your face, i m not selling. No one is right, no one is wrong. It's a free country.

2. Courtesy
    Out of courtesy, however, it would be proper manners to INFORM the buyer u not concluding the deal cos a better offer came along. However, the buyer has no right to be pissed off. No one force him to chase the buyer in the 1st place.

Quote Originally Posted by VieVie
    Hi Sausage,
    I recently also encountered an similar experience, I was on the lookout for a Canon 350D. I reached agreement with the seller on his buy now price! at about midnight. Told him collect tomorrow lunch. He didn't even bother to call when he has sold the camera the next day! I can understand your frustration because I was damn @#$#%$* I mean at least have the basic courtesy to inform others. Thankfully, I met another different kind of seller later on who is the exact opposite of this guy and I got my camera.
    I can relate to the fact that this is only business and integrity doesn't mean much here but let me tell you this, a person without basic integrity is worthless and what goes around will always comes around.
    Well, actually where businesses and trade are concerned, integrity, reputation, honour and trust still plays very much a part I feel.

Maybe I'm more inclined to 'older style' of business doings. I guess that's why ppl always warned me not to do any form of business or I'll fold within 3 days.

From what I observed in the BnS forum, the majority of CSers are nice folks, who are courteous and deals nicely - many a time, we hear them say "sold to a nice gentleman"

I believe there is a small minority who are the blacksheeps here who back out, who are less than honest in their dealings.
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast