Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E330 or E500?

Default Re: E330 or E500?

Quote Originally Posted by plastic
    In those days (looking at my F2AS), there were removable prisms, waist level finders and right angle finders... Macro was EASY then! Not now!
    Unfortunatly, not every camera had removable prism. Mine didn't. I was still able to take macros. Crawling in dirt, like the creatures I photographed, but still... I don't think I was the only one.

I don't understand why there are no cams with removable prisms any more. Probably production costs are lower, maybe manufacturers don't see there is an interest.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer
    Unfortunatly, not every camera had removable prism. Mine didn't. I was still able to take macros. Crawling in dirt, like the creatures I photographed, but still... I don't think I was the only one.

I don't understand why there are no cams with removable prisms any more. Probably production costs are lower, maybe manufacturers don't see there is an interest.
    Maybe everyone felt that shooting in proned position made them feel like a war correspondance. LOL.

Maybe everyone felt that shooting in proned position made them feel like a war correspondance. LOL.

think it's personal preference... think it's more fun and pro looking into the viewfinder...
    although I am still learning to take good pics, I enjoy looking into view finders to take pics...

Quote Originally Posted by wee_wei
    think it's personal preference... think it's more fun and pro looking into the viewfinder...
    although I am still learning to take good pics, I enjoy looking into view finders to take pics...
    I agree, that's why I waited until DSLRs came down in price and up in quality before I joined the club, about two months ago. The P&S cameras are not for me, I wanted a "real" camera where you can focus through a viewfinder made out of optics, not electronic ones. This way I feel like upgrading my camera, but if I would have one with electronic viewfinder it would have given me a feeling of downgrading instead. I mean, the "pro look" is not that important for me, but looking through a real viewfinder gives me a special feeling, and a sense that I am capable of taking real and special pictures. I can not explain why, but looking into my digital video cameras electronic viewfinder does not give me the same feeling. It is more like looking at TV in a miniature format.

Still, taking macros is definitly more comfortable with E-330 because of the live view, on the other hand it is not an absolute necessity.

War correspondance is different. There, the live view is a direct disadvantage. Better to look through the viewfinder, that way you keep your head low, at the same level as the camera is. It is definitly an advantage to know where your head is in that situation. Live view gives you the feeling you keep your head low, than when the bullet hits you it is too late.

So for the title question: E-330 or E500? For war correpondants, the answer is neigther E-330 nor E-500, but E-1, because of the mechanical quality, materials used, weather proof and so on. Definitly nothing with live view.

Deregistered

War correspondance is different. There, the live view is a direct disadvantage. Better to look through the viewfinder, that way you keep your head low, at the same level as the camera is. It is definitly an advantage to know where your head is in that situation. Live view gives you the feeling you keep your head low, than when the bullet hits you it is too late.

So for the title question: E-330 or E500? For war correpondants, the answer is neigther E-330 nor E-500, but E-1, because of the mechanical quality, materials used, weather proof and so on. Definitly nothing with live view.
    Dude, ease up... I was only using WC as an analogy... There are many times when you are NOT able to look through a viewfinder while shoting macro... like a ground up shot of a flower catching the sky... That is why the Varifinder/right angle finders are still very important piece of gear to own. I carry one in my gearbag at all times.

BTW, the safest way to shoot war pix is to use Live View and shooting your images at right angles with your hands and camera pertruding without exposing any of your body. (laying down flat in a trench and flipping the screen down, pertrude the camera out, in upside down position and shooting, or round corners of blocks). And companies like Kata in the US makes bullet proof camera bags and vests for journalists for survivability. But low batt life of the E-330 would make this a non-workhorse.

But anyway, we are not talking about the journalist here... but the E-330...

Dude, ease up...
    Why? Did I say something wrong?

I thoght it was an interesting aspect you lighted up, WC also uses cameras, never know who is reading.

I was only using WC as an analogy...There are many times when you are NOT able to look through a viewfinder while shoting macro... like a ground up shot of a flower catching the sky... That is why the Varifinder/right angle finders are still very important piece of gear to own. I carry one in my gearbag at all times.

BTW, the safest way to shoot war pix is to use Live View and shooting your images at right angles with your hands and camera pertruding without exposing any of your body. (laying down flat in a trench and flipping the screen down, pertrude the camera out, in upside down position and shooting, or round corners of blocks). And companies like Kata in the US makes bullet proof camera bags and vests for journalists for survivability. But low batt life of the E-330 would make this a non-workhorse.

But anyway, we are not talking about the journalist here... but the E-330...
    I agree, but we also talk about pros and cons of E-330 and E-500. And there are no cameras without users, WC is one, but I don't want to hijack the subject. Anyway, thanks for the information about the bullet proof bags, even if I have no use for that, reading the above was interesting anyway, and I am sure others also find it iteresting. And I definitly agree, live view definitly beats crawling in dirt if you are a macro photographer, not only if you want to catch the sky as background, but I would say almost all the time.

And I definitly agree, live view definitly beats crawling in dirt if you are a macro photographer, not only if you want to catch the sky as background, but I would say almost all the time.
    That's very true.
    I would never have wanted to take these shots if I had been using my previous E-300 with the 7-14mm lens instead of the E-330. The camera was practically sitting on the wet ground (after the rain) and inches away from the subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat
    That's very true.
    I would never have wanted to take these shots if I had been using my previous E-300 with the 7-14mm lens instead of the E-330. The camera was practically sitting on the wet ground (after the rain) and inches away from the subjects.
    Nice shots! But it looks like in-doors. Anyway, not even under "indoor rainy" conditions is nice to crawl on ground.

Nice shots! But it looks like in-doors. Anyway, not even under "indoor rainy" conditions is nice to crawl on ground.
    Thanks.
    Yes and no... the 2nd shot is taken inside the Mist House in our local Botanic Gardens where water droplets and mist were sprayed on a regular basis round the clock. The bromeliad plant in the 1st shot was just outside the Mist House and it had just rained (naturally of course).

Thanks.
    Yes and no... the 2nd shot is taken inside the Mist House in our local Botanic Gardens where water droplets and mist were sprayed on a regular basis round the clock. The bromeliad plant in the 1st shot was just outside the Mist House and it had just rained (naturally of course).
    did you edit the colors? R these the colors right out of E330? Looks too saturated on mine monitor.

From what I know about E330, the live view mode definitely is useful for daily shoots and marco shoot. On top of that, you can enlarge the picture 10x and better manually focus the picture before pressing the shutter. This makes your marco sharper. As for daily shoots, the vari-angle LCD enables to you shoot during roadshow even if you're not standing near the stage or something... But the thing is that Panasonic DMC L1 seems to be a clone of E330 (see April 2006 HMW)
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

Pros:
    - dust-free filter is really effective (SW... something). Hardly find any dust specks even after a few months of usage.
    - The flip LCD is good for shooting above crowds and shooting w/out the subject knowing
    - Can add on Leica 4/3 system lenses to your future collection
    - Good quality images. Even shooting under bright skies, u won't get overexposed skies.

Cons
    - The E-330 is a DSLR that behaves like a PnS. There is a long shutter lag so u can forget about capturing an image of fast-moving scenes. Also when u shoot macro under windy conditions (eg the flower is moving), u can forget it.
    - The kit lens is useless. Bad purple fringing and barrel distortion.
    - Too many PnS features (20+ scene modes etc)

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy
    Cons
    - The E-330 is a DSLR that behaves like a PnS. There is a long shutter lag so u can forget about capturing an image of fast-moving scenes. Also when u shoot macro under windy conditions (eg the flower is moving), u can forget it.
    I don't think there is any DSLR that can shoot sharp macro of a flower moving under windy conditions unless you are deliberately aiming to get artistically blurred images or you shoot in burst mode and hope that by luck one of the shots would come out sharp. The only way I know to shoot macro under such conditions is shoot in manual mode and to use high shutter speeds and flash in high speed flash synch mode.

I uses this method all the time to shoot macros of moving fishes, flowers and cats and the E-330 is just as good from my experience as the E-300, Canon D60, 10D and 20D, all of which I have used successfully in this way for such shots. No problem with shutter lag affecting ability to shoot mode at all.

I am very happy with my kit lens. I don't know about others but I have not encountered any serious purple fringing problems so far. Could be that I don't normally take high contrast images. There are some barrel distortion but no worse than other brands' kit lenses and yet it is optically far superior to other brands' kit lenses.

I don't see why too many Scene modes can be considered a 'con'. They are there but nobody needs to use them if they don't want to and their presence don't adversely affect the camera's normal performance in any way. Just ignore them if they are not needed lor. I do !

Quote Originally Posted by astroboy
    Pros:
    Cons
    purple fringing and barrel distortion? out of camera jpeg? or ACR developed RAW?

I thought the zuiko lens has very little fringing and barrel distortion due to built in correction.

When I was using E1 I only had such problems (purple fringing and distortion) if I shoot raw developed with ACR.

- FL-50 flash if the built in flash is not suffice (also consider Metz Digital flashes as they are paying more attention to Olympus now)

Click here to see a list of lenses and accessories for the Olympus cameras. Included are Sigma and Leica D lenses and comments. Quite a simple and easy read.
    I wrote something here on Metz
    Visit my Homepage

Hello

Newbie here. Currently, I own an E-500, which is my first foray into the much to learn and sometimes confusing world of DigitalSLR.

I am somehow fascinated with the live view of the E-330. As a teacher, I take a lot pictures of my students in action. I tried a friend's Sony DSC-F828 and like the non-intrusive photo-taking style. Some of the kids are shy when they see a camera pointing at them.

Question:
    Is the live view feature of the E-330 for street action photo-taking warrants a switch from my current E-500?

Would like to read comments from owners of E-330, especially on street action.

And, yah, great site this one! Learnt quite a bit from the postings made by the Oly owners.

Teech

Quote Originally Posted by teech
    Hello

Newbie here. Currently, I own an E-500, which is my first foray into the much to learn and sometimes confusing world of DigitalSLR.

I am somehow fascinated with the live view of the E-330. As a teacher, I take a lot pictures of my students in action. I tried a friend's Sony DSC-F828 and like the non-intrusive photo-taking style. Some of the kids are shy when they see a camera pointing at them.

Question:
    Is the live view feature of the E-330 for street action photo-taking warrants a switch from my current E-500?

Would like to read comments from owners of E-330, especially on street action.

And, yah, great site this one! Learnt quite a bit from the postings made by the Oly owners.

Teech
    Although I have the E-330 and the 7-14mm lens, street photography is not really my thing. But you might like to read the review of someone who does at these sites, if you have not done so already that is:

Part 1:
    http://www.fot-o-grafiti.hr/clanci.php?id=117

Part 2:
    http://www.fot-o-grafiti.hr/clanci.php?id=119

Although I have the E-330 and the 7-14mm lens, street photography is not really my thing. But you might like to read the review of someone who does at these sites, if you have not done so already that is:

Part 1:
    http://www.fot-o-grafiti.hr/clanci.php?id=117

Part 2:
    http://www.fot-o-grafiti.hr/clanci.php?id=119
    Bro Tomcat

Thanks heaps! After reading the article, looks like the E-330 is the way to go for street action. What am I going to do now? Want to exchange yours with mine, Bro Tomcat? Hahah. Anyone?

Teech

greetings,

if u like to take pictures in funny angles ( like me ), e330 is da way to go. my 2 cents lah.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12