Thread: Stack Filters

Default Stack Filters

Dear Forumers,

Is it wise to stack filters?

I am using Circular Poloriser and Warming Filters.

Should i attached the warming filter to my lens and then attach the Circular Poloriser to the Warming Filter? Or should i simply get a Circular Poloriser with warming filter?

I heard that if i stack filters, flare and CA will be more common. I have been doing this for quite a while but so far, no flare and CA yet for my photos. Also, i heard that quality will be affected. Also, the f-stop will be increase (Circular poloriser about 2.8 stop while warming filter about 1.1-1.2 stops. So combined together will be more light loss.)

The reason why i did not get the Circular Poloariser with warming filters is that
    1) at one time, i feel that a dedicated Circular poloariser is better. What do you think?
    2) I have been using dedicated Circular Poloarisers for 77mm and 58mm. If i were to get another Circular Filters with warming filters, that is going to cost me more money and make my dedicated Poloarisr redundant. IS it worthwhile to change??????

Please give your opinions on what i have been doing and whether my assumptions are corrects. Can i bring back my B+W Circular Poloariser to the dealer and change them to a filter with warming filters without charge?

Also, i don't think i can get B+W Circular Poloariser with warming filters here in Singapore? Cathy do not have them. IS there any other dealers for B+W in Singapore?

Default Re: Stack Filters

Quote Originally Posted by kohck
    Dear Forumers,

Is it wise to stack filters?

I am using Circular Poloriser and Warming Filters.

Should i attached the warming filter to my lens and then attach the Circular Poloriser to the Warming Filter? Or should i simply get a Circular Poloriser with warming filter?

I heard that if i stack filters, flare and CA will be more common. I have been doing this for quite a while but so far, no flare and CA yet for my photos. Also, i heard that quality will be affected. Also, the f-stop will be increase (Circular poloriser about 2.8 stop while warming filter about 1.1-1.2 stops. So combined together will be more light loss.)

The reason why i did not get the Circular Poloariser with warming filters is that
    1) at one time, i feel that a dedicated Circular poloariser is better. What do you think?
    2) I have been using dedicated Circular Poloarisers for 77mm and 58mm. If i were to get another Circular Filters with warming filters, that is going to cost me more money and make my dedicated Poloarisr redundant. IS it worthwhile to change??????

Please give your opinions on what i have been doing and whether my assumptions are corrects. Can i bring back my B+W Circular Poloariser to the dealer and change them to a filter with warming filters without charge?

Also, i don't think i can get B+W Circular Poloariser with warming filters here in Singapore? Cathy do not have them. IS there any other dealers for B+W in Singapore?
    Stack filter is not recommended.

It can caused vignetting, degrade of image quality, flare, light loss.

If you can change B+W circ-pol with another filter like UV, shop will be happy actually, since the price for Circ-pol usually higher than UV filter. But usually the shop is not doing barter.

Regards,
    Arto.

IMHO stacking is fine unless u doing tack sharp shots of jewellery or other macro stuff or landscape with the need to see every leave of that tree.... given certain conditions flare can be artistic and add value to the picture as well.. its how the tools are used.. then again I might be a noob spewing nonsense. in any case I would sell away that warming filter if i were u. you can add the warming filter digitally.. the effects are twofold. you can get away with a less demanding shutter speed plus not having to mess with one more filter.

Quote Originally Posted by slaam
    IMHO stacking is fine unless u doing tack sharp shots of jewellery or other macro stuff or landscape with the need to see every leave of that tree.... given certain conditions flare can be artistic and add value to the picture as well.. its how the tools are used.. then again I might be a noob spewing nonsense. in any case I would sell away that warming filter if i were u. you can add the warming filter digitally.. the effects are twofold. you can get away with a less demanding shutter speed plus not having to mess with one more filter.
    I been stacking filters for quite some time now..... recently i started to get concern about the filters affecting the quality of my pictures....

Never like to stack...

prefer to switch the filters when needed...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Use only what you need. If you need to stack several ND grads together to get your shot, then you have to do it. If you are the type to leave your CP + warming filter + xxx filters on your lens all the time, then it's better NOT to do it. Assess the scene and think through what you need first and what you want to achieve before screwing the filter on....

Quote Originally Posted by slaam
    Why in the world would stacking filters be no only when u are doing tack shots of jewellery or marco or landscape???????....that is bascially almost everything you will do.....

i don mind stacking as long as i don see vignett, significant drop in image quality.