Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: stolen photo

  1. #21

    Default Re: stolen photo

    Quote Originally Posted by shojibake
    Don't really know if there will be lawyers there that will take up pro bono work.
    hehehe, never heard that we have lawyers here that willing to go pro bono...

  2. #22

    Default Re: stolen photo

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega
    i would be pleased if some BIG company stole me images

    1. that would mean that my images have standard
    2. that would mean that I can sue them for some big bucks
    3. that would also mean time to Buy Buy Buy!

    1. It does not say much about your image standard, they may, and probably will crop and change the picture, and your creation is thereby destroyed. It says that they found something, which they find worth stealing so they regard it as a free picture. It says however a lot about their standards, or rather the lack of their moral standard.

    2. Sue is one thing, winning a case is an other. All lawyers know that. So far, I never found a lawyer willing to work without getting paid in advance before the case is over. No lawyer takes a risk (except the ones in a Hollywood movies) and work free, however clear case they have. Remember, big companies have a lot of money and lawyers and can afford to drag out cases for very long time. All that time lawyer (and you) have to pay your (and his) bills.

    3. Yes if you win, but first you have to Pay Pay and Pay even more. Sue = huge initial costs for you, no big chance of winning over big corporations. But yes, if you win, you'll probably get paid. How much will probably depend on how much you lost also, not only how big company you sue. If photography is not your main income, you'll probably not get a lot of money.

    I think it is a disgrace that people steal others work. I think in the example, stealing has nothing to do with Maggi, they probably hired a local advertising company, which in turn hired a photographer to make pictures. It is probably this "photographer" that stole the picture. Still, legally I think Maggi is the responsible. They should (and probably would), if they lose sue the so-called "photographer" in turn.

    Unfortunately, stealing images from Internet seems to be quite common. Even here at CS I came across stolen pictures, pictures where the "photographer" claims to be his, and shows these in his personal gallery. That is also dirty. I know these are also stolen, I just don't remember the real photographer's name. It is someone famous, I know that. As soon as I remember, I will definitely send a memo to admins and mods asking to forever ban this person from CS, and at the same time I will publish his alias.
    Last edited by OlyFlyer; 26th May 2006 at 07:41 PM.

  3. #23

    Default Re: stolen photo

    Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon, usually containing between 0.2 and 1.5 percent carbon, often with other constituents such as manganese, chromium, nickel, molybdenum, copper, tungsten, cobalt, or silicon, depending on the desired alloy properties, and widely used as a structural material, NOT an act. hehehe..


    .

  4. #24

    Default Re: stolen photo

    Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Steel is an alloy of iron and carbon, usually containing between 0.2 and 1.5 percent carbon, often with other constituents such as manganese, chromium, nickel, molybdenum, copper, tungsten, cobalt, or silicon, depending on the desired alloy properties, and widely used as a structural material, NOT an act. hehehe..


    .
    Well, double hehehe I am not an expert on either steel, steal, law or the English language, I got your point. While I was searching for all the steel I found some other errors, and corrected them, hopefully not added any new. Anyway, steel or steal, most people understand what I meant, including the CSer I am mentioning here.
    Last edited by OlyFlyer; 28th May 2006 at 04:16 AM.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    singapore CCK
    Posts
    435

    Default Re: stolen photo

    so what should we do if our photo been stolen like this guy. any guideline to follow?

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: stolen photo

    It has already been reverse engineered. It's actually very simple.

    http://www.ngiam.net/NRIC/

    I've used this algo to validate NRIC numbers during my NS days 10 years ago. So be careful about exposing your NRIC numbers, even if it excludes the ending alphabet.

    Regards
    CK

  7. #27

    Default Re: stolen photo

    Quote Originally Posted by nathan
    so what should we do if our photo been stolen like this guy. any guideline to follow?
    What about taking all pictures in RAW? Show low res only to public. That way, if someone steals your pic you still have the original, there is only one RAW in the world, so I guess that gives you a clear case. You still have to pay lawyers in advance.

    And if nothing helps, get hold of him and beat the S**t out of him so he understads the language.

    Maybe in Maggi cases it would be a better method to write a polite letter to some marketing manager, explaining the situation and saying as it is, that you have the original and you can proof that... and that you are ready to continue to go to court. Maybe even better would be to pay a few dollars to a lawyer and ask him to write the letter. That sounds really serious, and is definitly cheaper than shooting with the big guns at once, taking to court directly.

  8. #28

    Default Re: stolen photo

    Quote Originally Posted by whoswho
    Yep, I agree with Hexlord. Keep the fotos as low as possible and keep the original hi-res away from the Internet.
    Yes.. reduce the resolution and JPEG compression and remove the EXIF also. Your original camera image with EXIF is your digital film and having that is having ownership of the image. So never release the camera output to anyone unless you intend to give them the rights to use the images.

  9. #29

    Default Re: stolen photo

    Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer
    What about taking all pictures in RAW? Show low res only to public. That way, if someone steals your pic you still have the original, there is only one RAW in the world, so I guess that gives you a clear case. You still have to pay lawyers in advance.

    And if nothing helps, get hold of him and beat the S**t out of him so he understads the language.

    Maybe in Maggi cases it would be a better method to write a polite letter to some marketing manager, explaining the situation and saying as it is, that you have the original and you can proof that... and that you are ready to continue to go to court. Maybe even better would be to pay a few dollars to a lawyer and ask him to write the letter. That sounds really serious, and is definitly cheaper than shooting with the big guns at once, taking to court directly.
    Yeah.. A polite letter to their corpcomm or marcom would be good. They may even settle it privately because they know that if the case drags on, it's only the lawyers that gets the money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •