Thread: [DISCUSS] Angry photographed people

Lightbulb [DISCUSS] Angry photographed people

Just eariler, I was waiting for a bus home from a nearby bank at the bus stop when I saw an interesting scene.

There were 3 people involved, 2 old men and 1 old lady. Seems like one of the old men got a problem with the lady and was shoo-ing her away, while making a big comotion and noise.

Because I do not have a camera with me then, I couldn't take the shot, but, what if I happen to have a camera and took the shot with the parties involved noticing me.

Now the topic is, what if some old angry burly old man\angsty ah beng\angry photographed person saw you taking candid shots of them and started to make a comotion about you (like demanding flim, or camera or starts to shout at you).

What will you guys do?

say sorry....if things get worse....then runnnn for ur life...but i'll run first.......

Run lor. If aunty/uncle, most probably run slower than you.
    Canon Lover :)

If they confront you;

Scenio1
    You are a girl and a guy confront you, simply just shout "Molest!". He will run faster than a speeding bullet.

Scenio2
    You are a girl and a ah-soh confront you, simply just run. You can't fight with an ah-soh. Her mouth is faster than a speeding bullet and sharper than a razer blade.

Scenio3
    You are a guy and a guy confront you. Say you worked for the government. And tell him that if he's hits you, he has to pay a heavier penalty because he's hitting a government servant. Then take out the handphone and prepare to call the police.

Scenio4
    -same as scenio2-

Scenio5
    If both guy and woman confront you, theh good luck.

The bottomline is, they are NOT supposed to hit you or push you. (Even if they push you softly, fall as if they did it painfully). It's an offence and they can be jailed. They are not supposed to take away your camera. If they did, it's an offence too.

Originally posted by Newbiez
    run
    Last edited by e_liau; 19th December 2002 at 01:29 PM.

Scenario 6 - Swing your tripod and blame them for obstructing your photography subject, and demand them to buy you a new roll of film.

Kiwi
    Guests

I think b4 we answer the question, it's better to ask why in the first place we want to take the picture.

Having a camera and walking in the streets, sometimes we go overboard and take whatever things we see. But I feel there must be a reason behind it. I will certainly be irritated if some unknown guy just comes up to me and take a pic of me, whether I'm having a bad day or simply relaxing by the park. Unless you can justify the reason. Maybe by including the subject in the picture, it "completes" the scenary etc.

Else, I think street photography here is often asking for trouble by the amateurs especially, armed with a 70-200mm or their mini digicams. What good does keeping those pictures do to you anyway? It only gives you a sense of "shiok" feeling that lasts for a while cos you're behaving like a mouse and feeling the adrenalin rush by doing something secretive. But the aesthetic appeal and meaning of the images are another consideration altogether.

Not necessary, that's also a job of a photojournalist.

If you're an amateur and happen to meet with the above situation, such a photo can be classified as journalism.

Originally posted by Kiwi
    I think b4 we answer the question, it's better to ask why in the first place we want to take the picture.

Having a camera and walking in the streets, sometimes we go overboard and take whatever things we see. But I feel there must be a reason behind it. I will certainly be irritated if some unknown guy just comes up to me and take a pic of me, whether I'm having a bad day or simply relaxing by the park. Unless you can justify the reason. Maybe by including the subject in the picture, it "completes" the scenary etc.

Else, I think street photography here is often asking for trouble by the amateurs especially, armed with a 70-200mm or their mini digicams. What good does keeping those pictures do to you anyway? It only gives you a sense of "shiok" feeling that lasts for a while cos you're behaving like a mouse and feeling the adrenalin rush by doing something secretive. But the aesthetic appeal and meaning of the images are another consideration altogether.

Ya, right, brother.

In the US and UK, street photography is very dangerous. You can take the photos for personal storage, no problem with that. The moment you publish the photos in a public assessable medium, eg newspapers, that's it, soon you will have a lawyer knocking on your door. That's how much the ang-mos, in particular, the Americans view their privacy.

So it's very common for professional photographer or TV producer to ask the human subjects that they are taking for permissions before boardcasting. But note that pass-bys, no need permission. Only if there's proof that they purposely take their photos, then have to get permission for boardcasting.

Thanks for the enlightenment, I wasn't quite sure about the laws here.

JaDe
    Guests

Eh ?
    Explanation's inevitable....but if things get awful....either i prepare 2 defend myself or call the police...