Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 45 of 45

Thread: How long does it take you to solve this geometric puzzle?

  1. #41

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Don't quite understand, why "Add Point F on side AC such that angle FBC = 20" ?

    Where is the 20 derived from?

    Regards
    CK
    to add a point F to make FBC an isosceles triangle... with point BCF=80, CFD will be 80 as well... so FBC is 20...

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by PsychoBoy

    to add a point F to make FBC an isosceles triangle... with point BCF=80, CFD will be 80 as well... so FBC is 20...
    I know, but how to derive this crucial first step? How does one know that an isoceles triangle is needed there in the first place?

    Regards
    CK

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    I know, but how to derive this crucial first step? How does one know that an isoceles triangle is needed there in the first place?

    Regards
    CK
    That's the whole trick. The triangle is ther but disguised. Once that line is drawn the solution becomes crystal clear.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by roygoh


    That's the whole trick. The triangle is ther but disguised. Once that line is drawn the solution becomes crystal clear.
    I see. Any other solutions?

    Regards
    CK

  5. #45

    Default

    how can that BFC be an isoceles triangle? Common sense that line BC is shorter than line BF. If you rotate line BC around point B, it's def shorter than line BF.

    Even so, there is not geometric proof that BFC is isoceles. According to the solution, it's only an assumption. Can you prove that BFC ==FCB?

    Like this the rest of your solution is wrong liao.






    edited: ok.. I think it's quite easy to prove that BFC==FCB. whoever tot of that must be really smart.
    Last edited by shawntim; 3rd January 2003 at 02:11 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •