Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55

Thread: Exposure

  1. #41
    Senior Member wrx_sti_22b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Compassvale Lane
    Posts
    4,952

    Default Re: Exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis247
    Yap, agree with you.

    Another book that I will recommend is
    Understanding Digital Photography by Bryan Peterson
    I have this book, it is very good.
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    newbie land
    Posts
    1,971

    Default Re: Exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    Do they actually teach this in a photography degree course? If so I may want to reconsider studying it Not really what I had in mind.
    No sure whether it is taught in degree

    The reason why I am interested in formula is when I started picking up photography, I am very confuse on many things.

    Try and error is one way I could explore my camera. After a while when things get better, I came acoss formula in the net and started to study myself.

    Actually so far , those courses I attended did not touch on formula at all.

    Anyway , here are some links to share for those who are interested.

    By the way, in case I mislend any newbie reading this post, by knowing formula only will not make one a good photographer but it is fun study it.

    Also , good photos not neccessary must follow the formula. Lots of Pro does break them to achieve the feel they want.


    http://www.johndesq.com/formulas/formulas.htm

    http://www.hoothollow.com/DEFAULTAns...b-Mar2001.html

    http://www.rags-int-inc.com/PhotoTechStuff/DoF/

    http://www.photocritic.org/articles/ev.php

    http://dpfwiw.com/exposure.htm#strategies

    http://johnlind.tripod.com/science/scienceexposure.html

    http://www.johndesq.com/pinhole/apex.htm

    http://www.normankoren.com/digital_tonality.html
    Last edited by DarkForce; 12th June 2006 at 09:00 AM.
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

  3. #43
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldjace
    what you mean i lacking of understanding? because if i am only just a starter, you old bird can say anything - i dont give a damn. i just wrote that long post earlier to show how would that equation would be like, that's all. that is to say i never assumed anyhow. if u look deep enough, the equation is logically correct, as i already said my reasoning earlier.

    i do however respect espn for his vast knowledge/experience. that's for sure.
    pathetic attempt to bait espn into a flamewar.

    equation logically correct? bull.

    exposure is and cannot be reduced to some formula as wat u have done. come to think of it, pray tell where did u get these 'gems' from? but then... wat do i know? u are the 'pro' freelance cameraman and all...

    'correct' exposure, or watever u might wanna call it, is referred to as 'stops' (based on my limted understanding). ISO, shutter speeds and aperture are inter-related to one another based on this. there's no formula watsoever, unless of course u came up with these gems. if u attempt to read peterson's book, u'll understand the point abt no 'correct' exposure (as +evenstar pointed out aptly) cos at any given scene up to 8 'correct' exposures can be achieved. try calculating dat.

    sure. u can dun give a damn. neither do most of us to u anyway. then again, do urself some favours and (a) dun 'offer' ur 2cents cos its wrong and only confuse other true newbies who wanna learn, and (b) read up. holding some fancy gear doesn't mean u know wat the dickens on how to use it.

    as my fren watcher so nicely put it - "better to keep silent and remain a fool than to open ur mouth and remove all doubts".
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  4. #44

    Default Re: Exposure

    The BEST way to understand exposure is go back to basic of shooting film .. this way you can built up your foundation. And I meant shooting positive film ..

    The first year degree in photography .. as I heard must shoot in positive most of the time to understand getting the exposure right ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  5. #45
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldjace
    i do however respect espn for his vast knowledge/experience. that's for sure.

    Ok, don't need to tripod me, go tripod those with pro pro images one, or those with sharp sharp images, they love to be tripodded, I don't. Enjoy tripoding people...

  6. #46
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball
    Actually that book that was mentioned is a very hot book. Always seem to be on-loan out from the library.

    espn, know anybody that owns the book? so i can borrow and read while i'm sitting on the toiletbowl every morning.
    Yeah I have a copy but it's staying in my toilet

  7. #47
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    pathetic attempt to bait espn into a flamewar.

    equation logically correct? bull.

    exposure is and cannot be reduced to some formula as wat u have done. come to think of it, pray tell where did u get these 'gems' from? but then... wat do i know? u are the 'pro' freelance cameraman and all...

    'correct' exposure, or watever u might wanna call it, is referred to as 'stops' (based on my limted understanding). ISO, shutter speeds and aperture are inter-related to one another based on this. there's no formula watsoever, unless of course u came up with these gems. if u attempt to read peterson's book, u'll understand the point abt no 'correct' exposure (as +evenstar pointed out aptly) cos at any given scene up to 8 'correct' exposures can be achieved. try calculating dat.

    sure. u can dun give a damn. neither do most of us to u anyway. then again, do urself some favours and (a) dun 'offer' ur 2cents cos its wrong and only confuse other true newbies who wanna learn, and (b) read up. holding some fancy gear doesn't mean u know wat the dickens on how to use it.

    as my fren watcher so nicely put it - "better to keep silent and remain a fool than to open ur mouth and remove all doubts".
    Cool it dude, cool it, just bring the newbies back on track again will do.

  8. #48
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    The BEST way to understand exposure is go back to basic of shooting film .. this way you can built up your foundation. And I meant shooting positive film ..

    The first year degree in photography .. as I heard must shoot in positive most of the time to understand getting the exposure right ..
    That's because the latitude of the +ves are almost near 0.3 stops!!! You miss, that's it!

    Don't like that leh, I started from digital

  9. #49

    Default Re: Exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    That's because the latitude of the +ves are almost near 0.3 stops!!! You miss, that's it!

    Don't like that leh, I started from digital
    Oops .. time to go Reverse Engineering ...
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  10. #50
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG
    Oops .. time to go Reverse Engineering ...
    Still waiting for you to lend me your F6

    Also waiting for FS G*** to guide me how to load film

  11. #51

    Default Re: Exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Still waiting for you to lend me your F6

    Also waiting for FS G*** to guide me how to load film
    Since when I got F6 ??

    Load film ? is the same as loading your CF card lar .. Mai KK
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  12. #52

    Default Re: Exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkForce
    No sure whether it is taught in degree

    The reason why I am interested in formula is when I started picking up photography, I am very confuse on many things.

    Try and error is one way I could explore my camera. After a while when things get better, I came acoss formula in the net and started to study myself.

    Actually so far , those courses I attended did not touch on formula at all.

    Anyway , here are some links to share for those who are interested.

    By the way, in case I mislend any newbie reading this post, by knowing formula only will not make one a good photographer but it is fun study it.

    Also , good photos not neccessary must follow the formula. Lots of Pro does break them to achieve the feel they want.


    http://www.johndesq.com/formulas/formulas.htm

    http://www.hoothollow.com/DEFAULTAns...b-Mar2001.html

    http://www.rags-int-inc.com/PhotoTechStuff/DoF/

    http://www.photocritic.org/articles/ev.php

    http://dpfwiw.com/exposure.htm#strategies

    http://johnlind.tripod.com/science/scienceexposure.html

    http://www.johndesq.com/pinhole/apex.htm

    http://www.normankoren.com/digital_tonality.html
    Chris...this is really...TECHNICAL MAN!
    headache!!!!
    blog: inbloomphotos.wordpress.com

  13. #53

    Default Re: Exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75
    pathetic attempt to bait espn into a flamewar.

    equation logically correct? bull.

    exposure is and cannot be reduced to some formula as wat u have done. come to think of it, pray tell where did u get these 'gems' from? but then... wat do i know? u are the 'pro' freelance cameraman and all...

    'correct' exposure, or watever u might wanna call it, is referred to as 'stops' (based on my limted understanding). ISO, shutter speeds and aperture are inter-related to one another based on this. there's no formula watsoever, unless of course u came up with these gems. if u attempt to read peterson's book, u'll understand the point abt no 'correct' exposure (as +evenstar pointed out aptly) cos at any given scene up to 8 'correct' exposures can be achieved. try calculating dat.

    sure. u can dun give a damn. neither do most of us to u anyway. then again, do urself some favours and (a) dun 'offer' ur 2cents cos its wrong and only confuse other true newbies who wanna learn, and (b) read up. holding some fancy gear doesn't mean u know wat the dickens on how to use it.

    as my fren watcher so nicely put it - "better to keep silent and remain a fool than to open ur mouth and remove all doubts".
    duh.... if you actually read the whole thread, the insults and sacarsm was not started Ronaldjace. Common, read the thread. Anyway ronaldjace did TRY TO HELP the threadstarter who is NOT LOOKING for "correct exposure" but how in the world to adjust exposure in the first place. Ronaldjace equation although technically wrong, does point out the three factors to adjust exposure. At least better than all your talk about no one single correct exposure. (PS I own the peterson's book)

    Anyway I would advice the thread starter to read the Darkforce post as he got the equation correct.
    Reposted and slightly edited to make it more readable. Those are the three things you can adjust in your camera to modify the exposure and the relationship is dictated by the following equation.

    EV = log2 ( (aperture^2) x (1/shutter speed) x (ISO sensitivity/100) )

    short explaination:
    shutter speed from 1/400 to 1/200 makes your exposure brighter by 1 stop.
    ISO speed from 100 to 200 makes your exposure brighter by 1stop
    aperture f2.8 to f2 makes you exposure bright by one stop and vice versa

    As to which is the "correct" exposure you have to ask all those high and mighty oldbirds here.
    Last edited by wind30; 12th June 2006 at 10:17 AM.

  14. #54
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    duh.... if you actually read the whole thread, the insults and sacarsm was not started Ronaldjace. Common, read the thread. Anyway ronaldjace did TRY TO HELP the threadstarter who is NOT LOOKING for "correct exposure" but how in the world to adjust exposure in the first place. Ronaldjace equation although technically wrong, does point out the three factors to adjust exposure. At least better than all your talk about no one single correct exposure. (PS I own the peterson's book)

    Anyway I would advice the thread starter to read the Darkforce post as he got the equation correct.
    Reposted and slightly edited to make it more readable. Those are the three things you can adjust in your camera to modify the exposure and the relationship is dictated by the following equation.

    EV = log2 ( (aperture^2) x (1/shutter speed) x (ISO sensitivity/100) )

    As to which is the "correct" exposure you have to ask all those high and mighty oldbirds here.
    PRO comment Must learn from the S3 DR PRO

  15. #55
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default Re: Exposure

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    frankly, not many of you tried to help other than to point out Ronaldjace mistake and make sacarstic remarks. If his equation is wrong, just post the correct one like Darkforce did. The threadstarter was just looking on how to adjust exposure, not some ego bashing comments.
    Yes wind30 S3 DR PRO, we will listen to you and obey your righteous teachings

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •