Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: tips for siem reap trip

  1. #1

    Default tips for siem reap trip

    going to siem reap, cambodia next month, so would like to get some tips from the savvy travelers, especially:

    1. do singaporeans need any visa?
    2. any good place to eat?
    3. any nice stuff to bring back? (other than photographs & fond memories?)
    4. any other not-to-miss places, food, etc, etc....

    many thanks in advance.

  2. #2

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda
    going to siem reap, cambodia next month, so would like to get some tips from the savvy travelers, especially:

    1. do singaporeans need any visa?
    2. any good place to eat?
    3. any nice stuff to bring back? (other than photographs & fond memories?)
    4. any other not-to-miss places, food, etc, etc....

    many thanks in advance.
    1) Singapore no need visa, unless you are going for a while.
    2) Try local food, outside of angkor wat. Don't go resturants, esp the dead fish tower, over rated!! the bread there is fantastic, so are the eggs.... :P
    3) Buy Colombia pants, dirt cheap there, selling about 10 USD.
    4) errr all temples are fantastic!!!

  3. #3

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa
    1) Singapore no need visa, unless you are going for a while.
    2) Try local food, outside of angkor wat. Don't go resturants, esp the dead fish tower, over rated!! the bread there is fantastic, so are the eggs.... :P
    3) Buy Colombia pants, dirt cheap there, selling about 10 USD.
    4) errr all temples are fantastic!!!

    wait a minute, unless things have changed, but i remember getting a visa when i was there 3 years ago

  4. #4

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    Visa is required. Please check. There is one Hainan chicken rice stall. Almost all Singaporeans will patronise that restaurant if they spotted it. Ha ha. Siem Reap shopping is slightly more expensive than other areas of Cambodia. It is a very tourist friendly place, which also means that it is very commercialized and priced in USD.

  5. #5

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    Aiya no need visa lah! i just went over chinese new year THIS year
    you can try calling them and ask... maybe they had changed in the past half a year....

    Royal Embassy of Cambodia
    152 Beach Road
    #11-05 Gateway East
    Singapore 189721
    Tel: (65) 6299 3028
    Fax: (65) 6299 3622
    Open: 0900 hrs 1200 hrs, 1400 hrs 1700 hrs, Mon - Fri

  6. #6

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    thanks for the replies so far. as we will arrive in siem reap in the early morning, and we will stay there for around 4-5 days. i heard that u can get 3-day pass to the angkor wat acheological park. so i am trying to figure out whether there will be anything interesting to do or place interesting to visit other than the temples? any one got any tips?

  7. #7

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    We have a regional photo trip to the same place also somewhere in July ...

    check this thread an dhope you can find something useful for your trip ...

    http://www.ecircleoflight.org/showth...p?t=475&page=2
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

  8. #8

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda
    thanks for the replies so far. as we will arrive in siem reap in the early morning, and we will stay there for around 4-5 days. i heard that u can get 3-day pass to the angkor wat acheological park. so i am trying to figure out whether there will be anything interesting to do or place interesting to visit other than the temples? any one got any tips?
    if you want to go to any tempes which are aka Wats, you will need to get the pass, or u won't be able to go anywhere.
    Personally i think Siem Reap is all about the Wats...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sedna.........the sun
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    Hi Barracuda
    I'm travelling to Siem Reap in mid Jun too. I understand visa is needed at the point of entry at the airport. Need to pay US$25 and attach a personal photo as well. But not sure if that applies to Singaporean since Nisa is sure visa is not needed. Bring along just in case.

    A day pass to the temples wd cost US$20, a 3-day pass is US40. Again, a personal photo is needed when u purchase the entry pass.

    I've booked a 3-day tour with http://www.peaceofangkor.com/. They reply promptly and prices are good too.

    Cheers

  10. #10

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_catz
    Hi Barracuda
    I'm travelling to Siem Reap in mid Jun too. I understand visa is needed at the point of entry at the airport. Need to pay US$25 and attach a personal photo as well. But not sure if that applies to Singaporean since Nisa is sure visa is not needed. Bring along just in case.

    A day pass to the temples wd cost US$20, a 3-day pass is US40. Again, a personal photo is needed when u purchase the entry pass.

    I've booked a 3-day tour with http://www.peaceofangkor.com/. They reply promptly and prices are good too.

    Cheers
    or you could just drop by CAMBODIA ambassy on Beach road, the 2 tall buildings besides the Concourse, and check. rather get it early then risk getting stuck at airport.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sedna.........the sun
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonnew
    or you could just drop by CAMBODIA ambassy on Beach road, the 2 tall buildings besides the Concourse, and check. rather get it early then risk getting stuck at airport.
    may hv to do tt.... cos tel no. provided by nisa no longer in use.

  12. #12

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    again thanks for all the replies.

    uncle_catz: didn't know we have to have a photo for the 3 day pass. thanks a lot.
    i am going 23-27 jun. how abt u?

    any photographer who had been shooting there before? any advice? thx in advance.

  13. #13

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_catz
    may hv to do tt.... cos tel no. provided by nisa no longer in use.
    sorry i got it off the website

    Royal Embassy of Cambodia

    Address : 400 Orchard Rd #10-03 Orchard Towers Singapore 238875
    Telephone : 6341 9785

    this is from the yellow pages :P

    and i called them liao and they said no visa for the frist 30 days! confirmed by Mr Ng.
    Last edited by Nisa; 24th May 2006 at 04:57 PM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa
    sorry i got it off the website

    Royal Embassy of Cambodia

    Address : 400 Orchard Rd #10-03 Orchard Towers Singapore 238875
    Telephone : 6341 9785

    this is from the yellow pages :P

    and i called them liao and they said no visa for the frist 30 days! confirmed by Mr Ng.
    \

    Wow, guess they are trying to attract more visitors

  15. #15

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    Quote Originally Posted by barracuda
    again thanks for all the replies.

    uncle_catz: didn't know we have to have a photo for the 3 day pass. thanks a lot.
    i am going 23-27 jun. how abt u?

    any photographer who had been shooting there before? any advice? thx in advance.
    wide angle, wide angle, wide angle........and lots of cash, 3 years ago ATM was nowhere to be found , don't know about it now.......

  16. #16

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikonnew
    wide angle, wide angle, wide angle........and lots of cash, 3 years ago ATM was nowhere to be found , don't know about it now.......
    need to bring so much money meh?
    Frist time i go holidays got leftover money to bring back one lor!
    the things there are cheap and the bargaining is FUN!
    Last edited by Nisa; 24th May 2006 at 05:29 PM.

  17. #17

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa
    need to bring so much money meh?
    Frist time i go holidays got leftover money to bring back one lor!
    the things there are cheap and the bargaining is FUN!
    No lah, what i am really saying is bring cash, because no ATM there, at least not 3 years ago when I was there

  18. #18
    Senior Member dominator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Amazon Forest
    Posts
    1,662

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    Bring USD for easy spending. or use Riel is you are quick at calculations.

    Buying a 3 day pass is good but to me 2 day is more than enough.

    Try not to get those roadside tourguide, mainly childrens...i got bad experience with them.

    Rent a motorcycle to go around is best. Get a local map, be assured that it is so much easier than SG maps for getting around siem reap. I rode my motorbike there!

    Best of all many Lonely Planet country guide books selling at USD$2, bargin. Quality no bad, except it is not original.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sedna.........the sun
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    Thanx Nisa...

    Barracuda,
    my trip is from 16-20 Jun. perhaps i can share my experience w you when i return. as for wat lenses 2 bring, i'll stick with one wide(12-24 outdoor) and one fast lens (50 f1.4 indoor), maybe a tele lens for the people shot. As the noon sun cd be harsh, i'll be bringing along ND or polariser with me.

    here's a site worth visiting. its by fellow member tom shen. really good and motivating

    http://www.tomshenstudio.com/gallery...em%20Reap&p3=1

  20. #20

    Default Re: tips for siem reap trip

    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_catz
    Thanx Nisa...

    Barracuda,
    my trip is from 16-20 Jun. perhaps i can share my experience w you when i return. as for wat lenses 2 bring, i'll stick with one wide(12-24 outdoor) and one fast lens (50 f1.4 indoor), maybe a tele lens for the people shot. As the noon sun cd be harsh, i'll be bringing along ND or polariser with me.

    here's a site worth visiting. its by fellow member tom shen. really good and motivating

    http://www.tomshenstudio.com/gallery...em%20Reap&p3=1
    if possible, shoot angkor wat in the afternoon, the sun would be behind you , and the way the temple turns golden brown during sunset......phew!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •